• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Remembering the UpStairs Lounge Massacre

Northern Light

The Light of Truth
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
This just came to my attention today and I was shocked. Seems that the thin sections of LGBT stories in history books have something to do with this. A massacre like this should be remembered no matter what the demographic, as it demonstrates what happens when bigotry is allowed to run amock.

Before anyone goes blasting religion, don't forget that there were also Christians in the fire.

Here is the link to the story, be warned that it contains graphic imagery of burned bodies:
Remembering the UpStairs Lounge: The U.S.A.’s Largest LGBT Massacre Happened 40 Years Ago Today

America has come a long way since 40 years ago, but there is still work to be done in addressing the social backwardness that causes LGBT people to be attacked every day.

This just came to my attention today and I was shocked. Seems that the thin sections of LGBT stories in history books have something to do with this. A massacre like this should be remembered no matter what the demographic, as it demonstrates what happens when bigotry is allowed to run amock.

Before anyone goes blasting religion, don't forget that there were also Christians in the fire.

Here is the link to the story, be warned that it contains graphic imagery of burned bodies:
Remembering the UpStairs Lounge: The U.S.A.’s Largest LGBT Massacre Happened 40 Years Ago Today

America has come a long way since 40 years ago, but there is still work to be done in addressing the social backwardness that causes LGBT people to be attacked every day.

What a horrible story. I'd never heard of it. It's horrible that it happened and horrible that it wasn't addressed throughout the country for the awful hate crime it was. From Wiki, I learned that the suspect, who was never charged, committed suicide 13 months later. He allegedly had admitted on at least four separate occasions to having started the fire. Six years later, the case was closed. That a number of families didn't even claim their dead relatives is just mind-boggling.

^ The shame of sin within the families combined with community pressure must have been so intense.

This is horrible. Thank God times have improved since then.

The fire does not appear to have been caused by an anti-LGBT person (in fact, the person suspected of starting the fire was in the club the day of the fire). Second, the suspect claimed he did not expect the building to burn, so it is doubtful he intended to physically harm anyone.

However, the poor way in which the victims were treated is reprehensible. No matter what one may think of the sins of the living, they deserve our respect, and the dead deserve the same respect. In fact, the rebuke by the Episcopal bishop of Reverend William P. Richardson for holding a memorial service reminds me of Jesus writing in the sand when the Pharisees insisted on stoning Mary Magdalene.

The fire does not appear to have been caused by an anti-LGBT person (in fact, the person suspected of starting the fire was in the club the day of the fire). Second, the suspect claimed he did not expect the building to burn, so it is doubtful he intended to physically harm anyone.

However, the poor way in which the victims were treated is reprehensible. No matter what one may think of the sins of the living, they deserve our respect, and the dead deserve the same respect. In fact, the rebuke by the Episcopal bishop of Reverend William P. Richardson for holding a memorial service reminds me of Jesus writing in the sand when the Pharisees insisted on stoning Mary Magdalene.
Interesting. Do you have a source?

what are you yammering about?... the massacre was started by a gay patron of the bar with mental defects, not some socially backwards bigot.

It still surprises me when people obviously haven't read the OP article.
The article did not mention that the person who started the fire was in the bar, or that he didn't expect the building to burn.

Back
Top Bottom