• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Remembering Mr.President’s assassination

3step

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
It’s not about conspiracy theories. As you remember from the history, the day JFK was murdered stunned the world community and shocked the US nation. Many people wept, traffic stopped in some areas that day. Do you think the assassination of the current POTUS today will be so shocking for the international community and the American people?

It’s not about conspiracy theories. As you remember from the history, the day JFK was murdered stunned the world community and shocked the US nation. Many people wept, traffic stopped in some areas that day. Do you think the assassination of the current POTUS today will be so shocking for the international community and the American people?

Of course it would be.

Why wouldn't it?

I think it would.

I mean in theory assassinating the president whilst protected by the greatest armed guards in the history of the world should be Mission Impossible.

Obviously a few lapses lately have put that in some doubt, but the guys around POTUS even within the West Wing wouldn't have allowed any harm to come to him.

It would be shocking purely because it should have been impossible.

There may be quite a few folk who hate him but in instances like that a common enemy pulls them together.

"He may have been a Kenyan, gay, atheist, muslim, America hating Commie, but he was our Kenyan, gay, atheist, muslim, America hating Commie".

Because of 9/11and subsequent terrorism, I dont think it would be as shocking as JFK

It would be shocking but not AS shocking. We are more jaded nowadays, I think.

Yes, it would.

Of course it would be.
Why wouldn't it?
I see lot of users hate Obama so much. So I started this thread to see how wil people react if he is killed.

I see lot of users hate Obama so much. So I started this thread to see how wil people react if he is killed.

So?

JFK was widely loathed around the United States while he was president. What do you think he traveled to Texas for?

I think it would.

I mean in theory assassinating the president whilst protected by the greatest armed guards in the history of the world should be Mission Impossible.

Obviously a few lapses lately have put that in some doubt, but the guys around POTUS even within the West Wing wouldn't have allowed any harm to come to him.

It would be shocking purely because it should have been impossible.

There may be quite a few folk who hate him but in instances like that a common enemy pulls them together.

"He may have been a Kenyan, gay, atheist, muslim, America hating Commie, but he was our Kenyan, gay, atheist, muslim, America hating Commie".

It is all but impossible to assassinate an American president when he is at one of his official residences.

But it is IMPOSSIBLE to protect a president when he is traveling overseas or out among the people in the U.S. The Secret Service openly admits that any president can be assassinated if the killer doesn't mind getting killed or captured themselves.

Much of the Secret Service's "traveling road show" is literally "for show" and intimidation purposes.

So?

JFK was widely loathed around the United States while he was president. What do you think he traveled to Texas for?

JFK was widely loathed by religious fanatics, like my grandmother, who thought he was a pope puppet...a pope-et, if you will. Meanwhile, she was a puppet of whatever televangelist or tent meeting prophet she could find.

The larger question, for any would-be assassinators is, when has killing the president every made a noticeable change in the American system? Assassinating the president to effect change in this country is like killing Colonel Sanders cause you got a bad piece of chicken.

Assassinating a President would have no effect on policy in the short term and probably none in the long term, either. Biden steps in to replace Obama. What changes? What if Cheney would have had to replace Bush? How about Gore replacing Clinton? Quayle replacing Bush?

This leaves the likelihood that any assassination attempt would come from someone delusional or mentally ill who's motivations have nothing to do with politics.

nope.

JFK was widely loathed by religious fanatics, like my grandmother, who thought he was a pope puppet...a pope-et, if you will. Meanwhile, she was a puppet of whatever televangelist or tent meeting prophet she could find.

We got it. You hated your grandmother.

Doesn't change the fact that tens of millions of Americans loathed JFK.

Remembering Mr.President’s assassination

I saw the thread title, and immediately thought of a movie from 1975 titled Death Race 2000.

It was the third-person use of the term “Mr. President” that caught me. We normally only use that term when addressing the President directly, and the only other instance where I've ever heard the term used in the third-person was that movie, where that was the conventional manner of referring to him. Somewhere in the course of the movie, we learn that the main character is intent on assassinating “Mr. President”, but first he needs to win the race, which will give him a chance to meet “Mr. President“.

Assassinating a President would have no effect on policy in the short term and probably none in the long term, either. Biden steps in to replace Obama. What changes? What if Cheney would have had to replace Bush? How about Gore replacing Clinton? Quayle replacing Bush?

This leaves the likelihood that any assassination attempt would come from someone delusional or mentally ill who's [sic] motivations have nothing to do with politics.

That's pretty much been the pattern of nearly all past assassinations of Presidents or serious attempts to do so.

When you say , "will be so shocking", it suggests that his assassination is predetermined. Do you know something the rest of us don't know?

Would there be riots and burning cars and buildings? It seems to be the way some show anger and shock.

i'm sure some knuckleheads would riot and loot... but it wouldn't be widespread

.. at least i hope it wouldn't be widespread.

We got it. You hated your grandmother.

Doesn't change the fact that tens of millions of Americans loathed JFK.

I didn't hate my grandmother. She was just a dumb bitch, that's all. There's many Americans as dumb and you can't hate everyone, so I just reserve pity for those so intellectually self-limiting...like many conservatives.

I see lot of users hate Obama so much. So I started this thread to see how wil react if he is killed.

While I have no respect whatsoever for Obama, I do not hate him. I would not want him or any other president assassinated. As for how I would react, I would fear for the safety of this nation as that tax evading thug Al Sharpton would start a race war over it.

I didn't hate my grandmother. She was just a dumb bitch, that's all. There's many Americans as dumb and you can't hate everyone, so I just reserve pity for those so intellectually self-limiting...like many conservatives.

I get it, you are attempting to bait conservatives. In any case the majority of vitriolic hatred that I have witnessed against any given president was the left wing's hatred of George W. Bush.

What do you mean "will be"?

I think you missed the point. The OP did not say "would." He said "will be." Big difference. Sounds like he has a plan.

I thought the OP was trying to imply that "so many Americans hate President Obama that they wouldn't think him getting killed was a bad deal".

Which is patently ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom