• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Remember when Republicans were good, moderate politicians, like Eisenhower?

Craig234

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
I've commented on how overrated Eisenhower was, how overlooked his big flaws were, and I'm not repeating that here.

And I do note that the parties WERE different quite a bit, with 'liberal Republicans' and some of the worst 'right-wingers' being Democrats.

But this thread is just a reminder, as we can compared today's "Taliban Court", installed so corruptly as a power grab to attack the constitution, as people react to the social rulings overturning past rulings of how the right, including Eisenhower, wasn't so different.

It was the Warren Court that was 'enlightened' and led the support of rights for Americans, from Brown v. Board of Education, to prohibiting public school-led public prayer, to the Miranda right for suspects to be told their rights, to the recognition of the right to privacy, underlying rights to birth control, inter-racial marriage, the right to abortion, de-criminalization of gay relationships and the right for gay marriage equality.

There are the rulings today's "Taliban court" is at war with, reversing or chipping away at them, including all of the ones I listed above. So it would be easy to recognize a 'culture war' on the court between the Warren era and today's six radical right Justices. And to mistakenly say, well, Warren was a Republican, appointed by Eisenhower, see they really were different Republicans.

Not so much. Warren was an outlier, so popular he got both the Republican AND Democratic nominations for Governor of CA. But the key point here is that, after rulings like Brown Republicans today try to say how much they're for, Eisenhower said his biggest mistake as president had been appointing Warren; and there was a national right-wing crusade to 'Impeach Earl Warren'. Not so different.

ca8l89BemGg5llZPUfmDcm8Oi6WkMufDel85qUyKPYE.png

bircher.png

I've commented on how overrated Eisenhower was, how overlooked his big flaws were, and I'm not repeating that here.

And I do note that the parties WERE different quite a bit, with 'liberal Republicans' and some of the worst 'right-wingers' being Democrats.

But this thread is just a reminder, as we can compared today's "Taliban Court", installed so corruptly as a power grab to attack the constitution, as people react to the social rulings overturning past rulings of how the right, including Eisenhower, wasn't so different.

It was the Warren Court that was 'enlightened' and led the support of rights for Americans, from Brown v. Board of Education, to prohibiting public school-led public prayer, to the Miranda right for suspects to be told their rights, to the recognition of the right to privacy, underlying rights to birth control, inter-racial marriage, the right to abortion, de-criminalization of gay relationships and the right for gay marriage equality.

There are the rulings today's "Taliban court" is at war with, reversing or chipping away at them, including all of the ones I listed above. So it would be easy to recognize a 'culture war' on the court between the Warren era and today's six radical right Justices. And to mistakenly say, well, Warren was a Republican, appointed by Eisenhower, see they really were different Republicans.

Not so much. Warren was an outlier, so popular he got both the Republican AND Democratic nominations for Governor of CA. But the key point here is that, after rulings like Brown Republicans today try to say how much they're for, Eisenhower said his biggest mistake as president had been appointing Warren; and there was a national right-wing crusade to 'Impeach Earl Warren'. Not so different.

ca8l89BemGg5llZPUfmDcm8Oi6WkMufDel85qUyKPYE.png

I couldn't agree with you more, on the Warren Court! (y)

Excellent visual reminder!

Back
Top Bottom