• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Remember virtual reality? Its buzz has faded at CES 2019

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.apnews.com/d18312074e174602801a74fcac2c186c

NEW YORK (AP) — Just a few years ago, virtual reality was poised to take over the world. After decades of near misses, the revolution finally seemed imminent, with slick consumer headsets about to hit the market and industries from gaming and entertainment to social media ready to hop on the bandwagon.

But the buzz over VR has faded to a whisper. At the CES 2019 tech show in Las Vegas, Facebook’s Oculus unit isn’t holding any glitzy press events, just closed-door demos for its upcoming Oculus Quest, a $399 untethered headset due out in the spring. Other VR companies are similarly subdued. HTC announced two new headsets — one with only sketchy details — while Sony has some kiosks for its $300 PlayStation VR set in the main hall.
===================================================
If you are a futurist, calling development trends like VR is very challenging & risky. What appears to be needed at this point is a visionary developer like a Steve Jobs to reignite the spark by heading off in novel directions that excite the consumer market.

It’s the second time VR reared it’s head.

The 90s had various attempts at VR, I remember being at some kind of a VR expo in Vegas in the early 2000’s and it was crap.

Then it went away... Then came Oculus Rift and the first generation of proper commercial devices.

What was the problem?

Well, they weren’t that great.

They were too expensive.

They were a niche market.

And there were no killer apps, there were no experiences for most people that you “had” to go out and get one.

The technology still has plenty of room to morph into something appealing but it needs to work on all those areas.

Price.

Quality and better practicality for the average person.

Marketing.

A reason to buy it, as in better applications to use it with.

Then we’ll have a ball game.

Virtual tactile sex with sound & smell. Odeur de sex. You'd have to reopen Bethlehem Steel to supply the demand.

Last edited:
Holodeck or bust

The Holodeck-type experience would be the ultimate VR app. Your chosen world could be on a thumb drive. One could even offer the option of your own pain...or someone else's death. Add visuals, odors, sounds.

I am in VR almost every day. It is awesome. I have an Oculus Go and and Oculus Rift.

But even once the technology is absolutely perfect and immersive, fewer people will still do VR gaming than regular gaming just because it takes up a decent amount of space to do right. Even when they eventually have hanging haptic suits upon 360 degree treadmills, it will still take up space.

Now, what I think will catch on quicker are the things like the Oculus Go, which is mostly used sitting down and is ideal for media consumption. Whenever I watch Netflix or Hulu now I usually am watching it on my Oculus Go. It allows me to watch my shows and movies in my own private movie theater, on the beach or, my favorite, in a black abyss with just a huge screen filling the void.

Some better user interfaces need to be created. Some really good haptic gloves with position sensing would go a long way. You could then type on a virtual keyboard.

Back
Top Bottom