• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Remember the 47%?

Dittohead not!

master political analyst
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
You know, the 47% who pay no federal income taxes, and are therefore, according to the Republicans, Democrats.

Well, it's down to 43% now.

The share of households who aren't paying any federal income tax has fallen, and a new analysis from the Tax Policy Center predicts that it will continue to shrink in years to come.

That's partly because a slew of temporary tax cuts enacted during the Great Recession have started to expire. And it's partly because an improving economy means people's incomes should slowly start to increase, adding to their income tax bill.

Still, if you add those that work for the gov't, it is a majority of the elctorate. ;)

Still, if you add those that work for the gov't, it is a majority of the elctorate. ;)

Ya, damn them men and women in military uniform, and those who ensure that our meat is safe and that our airports and borders are secure (at least more secure than they would be without those people). They are all slackers, who are getting sumpen for nuten. We shouldn't pay them a dime, they should be forced to work for free.

And while we are at it, screw those old folks who are now living off of their lifetime savings. And those college student brats with their part time jobs. And especially screw unemployed people - they should have to pay income tax regardless of if they have any income!

Ya, damn them men and women in military uniform, and those who ensure that our meat is safe and that our airports and borders are secure (at least more secure than they would be without those people). They are all slackers, who are getting sumpen for nuten. We shouldn't pay them a dime, they should be forced to work for free.

And while we are at it, screw those old folks who are now living off of their lifetime savings. And those college student brats with their part time jobs. And especially screw unemployed people - they should have to pay income tax regardless of if they have any income!

You misunderstand my meaning. I am not saying anything is wrong with getting all that you can from your employer, simply that if your employer is the gov't then you tend not to vote for those promising cuts in gov't. The same is true of those that legally do not pay income taxes (for whatever reason), they have absolutely nothing to gain by voting for politicians that want to cut income taxes. My point is that those not paying income taxes and those working for the gov't are much more apt to support those politicians that wish to keep or expand gov't employment and tax someone else (the rich?) more.

You misunderstand my meaning. I am not saying anything is wrong with getting all that you can from your employer, simply that if your employer is the gov't then you tend not to vote for those promising cuts in gov't. The same is true of those that legally do not pay income taxes (for whatever reason), they have absolutely nothing to gain by voting for politicians that want to cut income taxes. My point is that those not paying income taxes and those working for the gov't are much more apt to support those politicians that wish to keep or expand gov't employment and tax someone else (the rich?) more.

Do you have any data on this or is it just tea party sociology at work?

Since you're in a speculative mood, I bet there is a lot of poor white trash in trailer parks who live on the dole and vote GOP everytime. I bet a lot of vets who get GI benefits including medical care from the government support conservatives. And I bet a lot of ethic groups, like Cubans, who got all sorts of special treatment from the Federal government vote rightwing causes and support limiting Federal benefits (for other people)

Last edited:

Oh, OK, I took you wrong.

What I don't understand is why so many conservatives complain about people who have low incomes not paying income tax. It's sort of like complaining that people who don't smoke don't pay their fair share of the tobacco tax.

Shouldn't conservatives be complaining about the 57% who DO have to pay income tax? Seems to me that this country existed for longer than 100 years without an income tax. If conservatives are really small government, low tax supporters, then they should be arguing to eliminate the income tax, not arguing that more people should have to pay it.

I mean if conservatives really wanted votes, why would they chose to alienate 47 or 43% of the population by hurling insults at them? It's not even logical, and that type of thinking very likely lost them the POTUS last November.

Likewise, I really don't understand the republicans who say that the party is trying to hard to get votes from the center, and that if republicans want to win, they should start pandering to their "base". Really? So it's better just to be attractive to the small minority who are on the extreme right? Thats gonna get them more votes? Don't those people ALREADY vote republican, and aren't they the segment of our population that is already the most likely to vote (older people and wealthier people)?

I haven't voted for anyone in about 9 years. I literally stood in line, just to cast a blank ballet. If ANY republican would start pushing for reductions in welfare, and reduction of the tax rate for the bottom few tax brackets, I would gladly vote for him, possibly even campaign for him, but noooo, all they do is to complain about welfare and high taxes, they never actually vote to reduce middle class taxes or to eliminate welfare.

Last edited:
Do you have any data on this or is it just tea party sociology at work?

Since you're in a speculative mood, I bet there is a lot of poor white trash in trailer parks who live on the dole and vote GOP everytime. I bet a lot of vets who get GI benefits including medical care from the government support conservatives. And I bet a lot of ethic groups, like Cubans, who got all sorts of special treatment from the Federal government vote rightwing causes and support limiting Federal benefits (for other people)

These "masses" of rural rednecks either live in red states/districts or get outnumbered by the blue cities in their states. Less than 10% of the U.S. population ever served in the military. Cubans make up just 3.7% of all U.S. Hispanics. Adding all of these groups together gets you less than 13% of the U.S. electorate - that is offset by blacks alone.

These "masses" of rural rednecks either live in red states/districts or get outnumbered by the blue cities in their states. Less than 10% of the U.S. population ever served in the military. Cubans make up just 3.7% of all U.S. Hispanics. Adding all of these groups together gets you less than 13% of the U.S. electorate - that is offset by blacks alone.

So you don't have any data to support your speculation but you don't like my speculation, is that it?

How many people are on welfare and what is their average age?

So you don't have any data to support your speculation but you don't like my speculation, is that it?

How many people are on welfare and what is their average age?

What data can't you find? Your post contianed no "data" just BS about trailer parks, military veterans and Cubans.

The 10 Largest Hispanic Origin Groups: Characteristics, Rankings, Top Counties | Pew Hispanic Center

What percentage of the US population has served / is serving in the Military? - Yahoo! Answers

You know, the 47% who pay no federal income taxes, and are therefore, according to the Republicans, Democrats.

Well, it's down to 43% now.

I always laugh at people who want lower taxes, more deductions and more credits but then complain about 47% not paying income taxes. Makes no senses. But I don't think most of them have any clue about what they're talking about.

Much like your data. I mean your lack of data, since you haven't provided any to support your crazy theory.

It is somewhat amusing however that your position is that we need less taxes but you want more people to pay more taxes.

It's almost incoherent.

Much like your data. I mean your lack of data, since you haven't provided any to support your crazy theory.

It is somewhat amusing however that your position is that we need less taxes but you want more people to pay more taxes.

It's almost incoherent.

I never said any such thing. I said that we need less federal gov't spending. When have I ever called for less taxes? I have suggested that we should have less tax deductons, which would then mean more taxes for many.

I never said any such thing. I said that we need less federal gov't spending. When have I ever called for less taxes? I have suggested that we should have less tax deductons, which would then mean more taxes for many.

You seem upset that poor people don't pay taxes and seem to be suggesting it spells the end of the Republic. So much so that you made up scenarios about how people voted without one scrap of empirical evidence to support your claims. Why would anybody do that unless they've got some kind of obsession with punishing the poor?

Ever notice how the same people want lower income earners to pay more in taxes, yet they don't support a higher minimum wage. The best way to get low income earners to pay more is if you are paid more.

Sometimes I think it's not about getting poor people paying their "fair share" in taxes, it's about punishing them for being poor.

You seem upset that poor people don't pay taxes and seem to be suggesting it spells the end of the Republic. So much so that you made up scenarios about how people voted without one scrap of empirical evidence to support your claims. Why would anybody do that unless they've got some kind of obsession with punishing the poor?

I am a poor person, and as such have no federal income tax liability, therefore I do not vote for candidates that promise tax cuts. If I worked for the government, as some of my friends do, then I would be very unlikely to vote for a candidate promissing smaller government, what part of that is hard to understand? People tend to vote for (favor?) what they feel makes their own situation better (or at least no worse). Your obsession with spending other people's money on the poor is not noble. What I wish is for the chance to work more, thus to no longer be as poor.

I am a poor person, and as such have no federal income tax liability, therefore I do not vote for candidates that promise tax cuts. If I worked for the government, as some of my friends do, then I would be very unlikely to vote for a candidate promissing smaller government, what part of that is hard to understand? People tend to vote for (favor?) what they feel makes their own situation better (or at least no worse). Your obsession with spending other people's money on the poor is not noble. What I wish is for the chance to work more, thus to no longer be as poor.

Sure. That explains why so many wealthy people vote for republicans. Republicans are advocates for the rich, just like dems are advocates for the poor.

Unfortunately, neither are really advocates for the middle class.

Sure. That explains why so many wealthy people vote for republicans. Republicans are advocates for the rich, just like dems are advocates for the poor.

That is what they'd like us to believe. Actually, the Democrats are advocates for power to the Democrats, and the Republicans are advocates for power to the Republicans. Neither one is really advocating for rich, poor, middle, or anyone else, only for power.

Still no data on this from you. But at least your provided a personal anecdote -- the mother's milk of conservative "logic"

Unfortunately, neither are really advocates for the middle class.

I love how conservatives like to suggest that if working people vote for their self-interest, they are somehow dirty or unethical. While if rich people vote for their self-interest, they are just being rational.

That's because they take a shower before work. When our local high school had no air and I baked on the sun side, I took one before and after school. Of course I wasn't sitting on my lazy a$$ all day like Repub teachers and admins. OOPS
I love how conservatives like to suggest that if working people vote for their self-interest, they are somehow dirty or unethical. While if rich people vote for their self-interest, they are just being rational.

Still no data on this from you. But at least your provided a personal anecdote -- the mother's milk of conservative "logic"

How would you propose that I get data on the secret ballots cast by other folks? You, on the other hand, provide no data to the contrary, since it is easier to spew your liberal nonsense about rednecks in trailer parks.

Back
Top Bottom