• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Remarried couples should abstain from sex, Philadelphia Catholic church says

Phys251

Purge evil with Justice
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Kinda like caffeine free coffee and alcohol free beer. Why bother?

I don't understand why so many religions have such bizarre rules about sex in particular.

Well... ok. I think they understand that Catholics actually don't give a **** what the catholic church says. They are going to continue to use birth control, have sex before marriage, divorce and remarry etc. etc. Sticking to tradition will only continue the current trend. Almost no diehard catholics. Catholics are quickly becoming just like the jewish population. It's cultural religion. You say you are catholic and you go the Christmas and easter mass because of tradition, not because of religion.

According to theology they may not be wrong. In the eyes of God a couple that divorces for reasons outside of marital unfaithfulness commit adultery. From the Bible it portrays that God takes the promise of marriage seriously and views sex with another partner, regardless of the legality of that relationship, as adultery if the previous marriage was not dissolved for proper reasons.

Well... ok. I think they understand that Catholics actually don't give a **** what the catholic church says. They are going to continue to use birth control, have sex before marriage, divorce and remarry etc. etc. Sticking to tradition will only continue the current trend. Almost no diehard catholics. Catholics are quickly becoming just like the jewish population. It's cultural religion. You say you are catholic and you go the Christmas and easter mass because of tradition, not because of religion.

yup that's how I used to do it

basically it's saying this is how it is but in reality who the hell would ever ask so...

life goes forward and everyone is happy

and their kids all go to Catholic school cause...well...oops

I don't understand why so many religions have such bizarre rules about sex in particular.

My guess is much the same reason that an abusive husband constantly insults and degrades his wife. If you make the people think they are worthless sinners, then of course they think they need your religion even more. And the cycle goes on. If you go to a southern baptist church you can often find the same person rededicating their life to Jesus once a month or more, because they dared to have impure thoughts etc. When their is no checks in place to stop them they teach you to hate your body and that free-thinking can be dangerous. It's insanity.

basically it's saying this is how it is but in reality who the hell would ever ask so...

My wifes family is a large italian catholic family. If I were to say that to them they'd be outraged. However after 15 years of knowing them I've yet to hear a single comment from any of them about church or god or the bible that didn't revolve around the clothing of a church attendee.

I call them Cafeteria Catholics.

That seems quite consistent enough with traditional Christian ethics.

Another reason traditional Christian ethics should be tossed aside in favor of more modern, sensible ethics.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/06/philadelphia-catholic-church-rules-divorce-gay-sex

Do I even want to know what this church's interpretation of "living like brother and sister" means??

That seems quite consistent enough with traditional Christian ethics.
Yes, this is and has been Catholic doctrine for the entirety of my life. Doctrinally, one can only receive the sacraments if free of sin, and sex outside of marriage (Catholic marriage) is seen as a sin.

The Church sees marriage as a spiritual union, and does not doctrinally accept civil marriage or civil divorce in it's stead. In essence, the Church sees itself as the arbiter of Catholic marriage - which I think is fair.

The good news for Catholic divorcees & divorcers, is the Church is really pushing to bring divorced Catholics back into full communion with the Church, so the annulment process is now streamlined with a great deal of hand-holding and assistance to those desiring an annulment.

It now is unlikely any Catholic desiring an annulment will be unable to receive one.

Once a marriage is annulled, the individuals are free to remarry if they so chose.

What if you remarry the wife or husband you divorced? Someone needs to ask the diocese for a clarification on that one. As for living as brother and sister goes, obviously these folks don't know the south very well. Down here it's family first. Sounds commendable, don't it? Yup, and we aim to keep it that way.

According to theology they may not be wrong. In the eyes of God a couple that divorces for reasons outside of marital unfaithfulness commit adultery. From the Bible it portrays that God takes the promise of marriage seriously and views sex with another partner, regardless of the legality of that relationship, as adultery if the previous marriage was not dissolved for proper reasons.
That's exactly the theology supporting the Catholic doctrine here.

It's remedied by getting an annulment.

According to the statistics the divorce rate of second marriages is worse anyway.

Also, in terms of what the bible says I see nothing wrong with that view.

Yup... and unlike many of the other sexual conduct related passages, this act isn't just in the Old Testament allowing Christians to say they can ignore it:

Mark 10:11-12 ESV
And he said to them, “Whoever divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery against her, and if she divorces her husband and marries another, she commits adultery.”

Luke 16:18 ESV
“Everyone who divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery, and he who marries a woman divorced from her husband commits adultery.

Matthew 5:32 ESV
But I say to you that everyone who divorces his wife, except on the ground of sexual immorality, makes her commit adultery, and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

Matthew 19:9 ESV
And I say to you: whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery.”

Catholics are a breed on their own...they pretty much do as they please and let the church worry about it

always have,

when they want the priest the priest comes

the church has learned to live with it and adjust without "appearing" to adjust
That's what's known as "being practical"! ;)

I just wish in RL getting rid of troubles was easy as going to confession, and then starting over fresh!

Back
Top Bottom