• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Remarried couples should abstain from sex, Philadelphia Catholic church says

What if you remarry the wife or husband you divorced? Someone needs to ask the diocese for a clarification on that one. As for living as brother and sister goes, obviously these folks don't know the south very well. Down here it's family first. Sounds commendable, don't it? Yup, and we aim to keep it that way.
To the bolded:

Nothing happens. The Church see them as never having been annulled, so it's like nothing happened (in terms of their Catholic marital bonds).

If they married others or slept with others while apart, it would be seen as marital infidelities to their original marriage. Their civil divorce was never recognized by the Church, so their original Church marriage stands.

Last edited:
And they wonder why their religion is dying.

Today I was at a very long funeral service for my best friend's sister. We all went to the same Catholic grade school and High School. As I sat there for 2 hours (rosary + mass), I just felt like an observer, none of it meant anything to me. Just centuries old chants, stand up sit down, kneel, etc. And no, I did not take part in communion, I respect other people's beliefs, but they aren't mine any more.

Last edited:
According to theology they may not be wrong. In the eyes of God a couple that divorces for reasons outside of marital unfaithfulness commit adultery. From the Bible it portrays that God takes the promise of marriage seriously and views sex with another partner, regardless of the legality of that relationship, as adultery if the previous marriage was not dissolved for proper reasons.

There is some scriptural support also in the case of abandonment by a non-believing spouse.

Personally, and I have no real scriptural support for this, it is just my personal opinion, I think God will understand and forgive leaving a habitually abusive spouse. You have to protect yourself after all.

Well... ok. I think they understand that Catholics actually don't give a **** what the catholic church says. They are going to continue to use birth control, have sex before marriage, divorce and remarry etc. etc. Sticking to tradition will only continue the current trend. Almost no diehard catholics. Catholics are quickly becoming just like the jewish population. It's cultural religion. You say you are catholic and you go the Christmas and easter mass because of tradition, not because of religion.
I think the bolded has become true for many Catholics.

Catholicism for many is becoming similar to the more highly reformed streams of Judaism; as you said, becoming primarily cultural and traditional rather than spiritual. Not for all, but for many.

Yup... and unlike many of the other sexual conduct related passages, this act isn't just in the Old Testament allowing Christians to say they can ignore it:

Mark 10:11-12 ESV
And he said to them, “Whoever divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery against her, and if she divorces her husband and marries another, she commits adultery.”

Luke 16:18 ESV
“Everyone who divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery, and he who marries a woman divorced from her husband commits adultery.

Matthew 5:32 ESV
But I say to you that everyone who divorces his wife, except on the ground of sexual immorality, makes her commit adultery, and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

Matthew 19:9 ESV
And I say to you: whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery.”
I'm pretty impressed here, Beaudreaux!

I remember the Catholic verse given in support of the Catechism is:

"What God has joined together, let no man put asunder"

The above is from my memory, but I don't remember exactly where it was in the Bible. It is the RSV version.

I don't understand why so many religions have such bizarre rules about sex in particular.

It's a really great way to control people.

Sex is an urge. It's also a feeling. It's also a bonding activity. It's also a survival modulator, and a power modulator, depending on how you deal with reproduction. There are not a lot of other day-to-day actions one can perform that are so many things simultaneously -- that are deeply philosophical, and yet also completely primal.

You can encourage people to reproduce to breed your armies, or as a great self-imposed limiter on how much time your subjects have to read the news -- or learn to read at all.

You can encourage shame in certain aspects of sexuality, which will plague the minds of your subjects almost constantly because sex has a weird way of getting sexier the more taboo it is, and then they come to your confession booth like clockwork, providing you endless opportunities to continue pushing your message further and further into their mind.

Sex, in being both physically and emotionally hard to resist, is an easy weak spot to push on for those who want power.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/06/philadelphia-catholic-church-rules-divorce-gay-sex

Do I even want to know what this church's interpretation of "living like brother and sister" means??

Like anyone with half a brain should listen to anything the catholic church says. Here is a former molested altar boy from philly who recently hanged himself. A freakin disgrace. Ex-altar boy who spoke out about being sexually abused by priest found hanged in home - mmc-news.com

My wife is catholic and I am jewish although I am pretty much anti religion. She goes to church most Sundays, sings in the choir, my kids went to catholic school. Not sure what she is missing. We had a nice civil ceremony. I have met most of the choir members, no one considers us not married.

I'm pretty impressed here, Beaudreaux!

I remember the Catholic verse given in support of the Catechism is:

"What God has joined together, let no man put asunder"

The above is from my memory, but I don't remember exactly where it was in the Bible. It is the RSV version.

Don't give me too much credit. I remembered the basic verses from my younger days, but had to Google where they're located because of my "older days."

well it kind of is

self forgiveness allows a fresh start

on the other hand, "denial" means never having to say sorry... :lamo
:lamo

However, it may not be so hard to self forgive, but in a computerized society things like credit, police, academic, employment, and other records are not so easily forgiven or forgotten.

Our kids have little room for youthful screw-ups! My 16yo has a credit report, for Chrissakes!

:lamo

However, it may not be so hard to self forgive, but in a computerized society things like credit, police, academic, employment, and other records are not so easily forgiven or forgotten.

Our kids have little room for youthful screw-ups! My 16yo has a credit report, for Chrissakes!
well yes there are those pesky things called computers that track our every spending habit and then show a trail worse than snail mucous

my generation got to screw up and move on

Kinda like caffeine free coffee and alcohol free beer. Why bother?

well i like coffee flavour in sweet things and i dont always want a stimulant

This is deceiving. Catholicism may be getting a larger percentage of religious, their net numbers as well as the net number of all religious has been steadily declining for decades. The people that are still religious are less likely to be affiliated with official religion and more likely to have some kind of personal faith. You can't possibly believe that Christianity or Catholicism are on the rise world wide and that their pews are growing. Even your own link says that the number of catholic churches is dropping.

U.S. Public Becoming Less Religious | Pew Research Center

61Years.png

The internet has gone a long way to break the shackles religion tries to put on its subjects. Millenials are highly irreligious.

This is deceiving. Catholicism may be getting a larger percentage of religious, their net numbers as well as the net number of all religious has been steadily declining for decades. The people that are still religious are less likely to be affiliated with official religion and more likely to have some kind of personal faith. You can't possibly believe that Christianity or Catholicism are on the rise world wide and that their pews are growing. Even your own link says that the number of catholic churches is dropping.

U.S. Public Becoming Less Religious | Pew Research Center

61Years.png

The internet has gone a long way to break the shackles religion tries to put on its subjects. Millenials are highly irreligious.

But the subject was about the Catholic church....... not overall religiosity. But, I agree with your answer as posted as it is what I have been reading also.

That I know. The number of Catholics is growing faster than the world population. What does seem to be true is that the rate of increase is falling. Here is a quick article, but it appears to be substantiated by the literature in a quick and dirty search.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_population_growth

Well yeah, because Latin America and parts of Africa are reproducing like crazy.

Back
Top Bottom