• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Religious schooling at it's finest

That would depend upon you considering any career in any science. Or of being able to understand anything about the universe.

I worked with several geophysicists who were fundamentalist Christians who believed every word in the bible, yet still knew the formations they were drilling into were millions of years old. I was never clear on how they squared that circle.

no, it's not abuse... abuse is actually illegal.

no need to be melodramatic about any of this.

If a kid is terrorized by being told he'll go to Hell for having "impure" thoughts, is that abuse? I certainly think it is.

If a kid is terrorized by being told he'll go to Hell for having "impure" thoughts, is that abuse? I certainly think it is.

the problem with labeling this as abuse is that believers may well think the kid will go to hell so thus believe they are saving his soul from eternal damnation which they could also argue is abuse

*to me six of one, half a dozen of another*

Except that Christianity doesn't teach that. :roll:

Wrong. To understand how diseases change and evolve to overcome the drugs we use it is necessary to have a good understanding of evolution.

This is why those nuns in the Congo caused ebola to happen.

Again, unneeded. You could teach all the principles of biology to someone and have not taught them the concept of evolution at all. It really is an utterly useless subject, in the practical sense.

Again, unneeded. You could teach all the principles of biology to someone and have not taught them the concept of evolution at all. It really is an utterly useless subject, in the practical sense.

Not to mention, a theory full of gaping holes.

no, it's not abuse.

is terrorizing a religious kid telling him God doesn't exist and he will just die and not see his family in the afterlife abuse?...

the problem with labeling this as abuse is that believers may well think the kid will go to hell so thus believe they are saving his soul from eternal damnation which they could also argue is abuse

*to me six of one, half a dozen of another*

the bigger problem, to me, is the habit of some people to label things they don't agree with or like as "abuse".... IMO, is cheapens and undermines cases of actual abuse when they do this stuff.

most folks that that don't see what actual child abuse looks like.... but I deal with 8-10 kids a month who are victims of abuse ( I'm a BACA member)
no doubt these folks would stop making light of child abuse of they actually spent some time with abused kids.

no that is incorrect, you are not understanding Ebola...it causes hemorrhagic fever like the Marburg virus and is spread via bodily fluids...it is highly contagious...if you research the disease they do not know how it jumped species although there are a few theories and there are also five different species of the virus, four of which are fairly deadly

Ebola can now be caught from humans and some types of animals

these Belgian nuns inadvertently spread the disease due to lack of sterilization

Dr. Piot admits to being remiss in not explaining in harsh enough terms how such lack of sanitation contributes and because he did not it happened numerous times in other clinics in Africa throughout the decades

The best expert on the disease says that the bad medical practices of the nuns changed it from a disease that has little chance of being spread to a highly contagous one.

It is a 100% must for entimology. That would be the study of diseases. Without it you would be just being constantly surprised.

Not to mention, a theory full of gaping holes.

No it is not. Please feel free to start another thread about it so we can all show you that you are talking drivel again.

Honesty not being something Christians are much into I know but surely the capacity to forget stuff you don't like has to be concious at some level.

It is a 100% must for entimology. That would be the study of diseases. Without it you would be just being constantly surprised.

You mean epidemiology? That aside, knowledge of speciation is definitely not needed to understand basic mutation or breeding, which is really what it's all about.

You mean epidemiology? That aside, knowledge of speciation is definitely not needed to understand basic mutation or breeding, which is really what it's all about.

If you understand that you understand evolution.

If you understand that you understand evolution.

Micro-evolution vs speciation/macro-evolution. We can see significant changes in something as simple as dog breeds, which a large chunk of them are fabricated by selective breeding. At the end of the day, they are still dogs, not a new species.

the bigger problem, to me, is the habit of some people to label things they don't agree with or like as "abuse".... IMO, is cheapens and undermines cases of actual abuse when they do this stuff.

most folks that that don't see what actual child abuse looks like.... but I deal with 8-10 kids a month who are victims of abuse ( I'm a BACA member)
no doubt these folks would stop making light of child abuse of they actually spent some time with abused kids.

well when put that way yes it is a much bigger problem to label it as abuse rather than actual abuse

nobody should have to actually work with child abuse since it should not exist, thanks for the work you do...that would be a tough but some days, rewarding career

well when put that way yes it is a much bigger problem to label it as abuse rather than actual abuse

nobody should have to actually work with child abuse since it should not exist, thanks for the work you do...that would be a tough but some days, rewarding career

well, it's not a career.. it's all volunteer work.. and i'm no professional (though I'm in touch with the professional on a daily basis), I'm just an old biker dude who has the necessary skills and inclinations to fill the role BACA provides.

BACA stands for Bikers Against Child Abuse
MISSION | Bikers Against Child Abuse International

read the link.. take a gander at the whole site...it's truly a great organization that does a ton of good in every state and 11 countries

the kids love us, and we love them.... their abusers,well, they ain't so happy we exist.

Exactly. The point of school is to get kids to believe that which is (in the judgment of the one doing the teaching) true.

I'm sure this completely go over your head and you'll continue rationalizing how "evolution is false" is a belief while "evolution is true" is not a belief, but it bears saying anyway.

Ah, but there's a ****-ton of evidence that evolution is true and very little for the opposite

well, it's not a career.. it's all volunteer work.. and i'm no professional (though I'm in touch with the professional on a daily basis), I'm just an old biker dude who has the necessary skills and inclinations to fill the role BACA provides.

BACA stands for Bikers Against Child Abuse
MISSION | Bikers Against Child Abuse International

read the link.. take a gander at the whole site...it's truly a great organization that does a ton of good in every state and 11 countries

the kids love us, and we love them.... their abusers,well, they ain't so happy we exist.
very nice....cool site...have never heard of you before...I see you are all through Canada too...kudos to you!!!

I love the different stages of escalated intervention.

This thread just shows that people of faith don't care whether what they believe is true or not. When they can not present evidence that their superstitions are true they enter into a lot of false equability between their beliefs and the observations of science. Why should creationism not be taught alongside evolution? Well evolution has never been proven wrong and has a lot of supporting evidence in many fields of science. Where as creationism is supported only in holy books and has had almost every facet of it's "belief" shattered by evidence. Written history is older than what they say the age of earth should be, but who cares about facts that contradict belief?

It's not a question of different points of view being taught. It's a question of lies being presented as truth. The answer , of course, is "if the lie is based on religion then it is perfectly fine."

Back
Top Bottom