• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Religious schooling at it's finest

Way over simplified.

Some of these scientists may of also had beliefs about the resurrection of dead bodie, and water turning to blood under certain circumstances. They were also better scientists than most atheists: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Roman_Catholic_cleric-scientists

Anecdotally, I have met very good mathmaticians working on complex software algoritihism (math is a science) who were practicing Hindus and had beliefs in astrology. My evangelical Christian doctor's religous beliefs about life after death and divine judgement never detracted from his ability to practice medicine.

In short, having religous beliefs "X", does not necessarily limit one's ability to be a scientist, or to understand aspects of the physical world.

But going to a school where no natural history is taught because any understanding of the world will lead to the ability to understand the limitations of your religion will stop you becoming a scientist. Simple.

Exactly. The point of school is to get kids to believe that which is (in the judgment of the one doing the teaching) true.

I'm sure this completely go over your head and you'll continue rationalizing how "evolution is false" is a belief while "evolution is true" is not a belief, but it bears saying anyway.

Good schooling would result in the ability to show why evolution is true. To be able to present evidence and to asses the validity of others evidence.

Anything but a system of belief, schools like this turn out too many idiots that think the world is around 6000 years old.

Schools like this probably turn out kinds who score higher on SATs and do better in college than their public school counterparts.

It may shock liberal sensibilities to hear this but being well versed in evolution or prehistoric history is about as useful as a football bat. I mean, they are interesting subjects, to be sure. They just don't contribute jack**** to actual advancements.

It may shock liberal sensibilities to hear this but being well versed in evolution or prehistoric history is about as useful as a football bat. I mean, they are interesting subjects, to be sure. They just don't contribute jack**** to actual advancements.

Unless you are a bio-chemist or any sort of medic who needs to understand biology to avoid doing the things that the nuns in Africa did to create ebola.

Obviously you can ignore such inconvienient things in the persuit of ignorance.

Instilling a belief system is the entire point of education. For example, because of my physics education, I believe that entropy always tends to increase.

Unsurprisingly you are incapable of distinguishing between knowledge and belief. Colour me shocked.

Unless you are a bio-chemist or any sort of medic who needs to understand biology to avoid doing the things that the nuns in Africa did to create ebola.

Obviously you can ignore such inconvienient things in the persuit of ignorance.

Whether you believe in the speciation or not is entirely unneeded for biology.

It may shock your sensibilities to hear I agree and I am very liberal...logic isn't owned by the right

But going to a school where no natural history is taught because any understanding of the world will lead to the ability to understand the limitations of your religion will stop you becoming a scientist. Simple.

And religous schools that do not teach natural history of any sort are probably non existant.

It may shock your sensibilities to hear I agree and I am very liberal...logic isn't owned by the right

Touche.

Whether you believe in the speciation or not is entirely unneeded for biology.

Wrong. To understand how diseases change and evolve to overcome the drugs we use it is necessary to have a good understanding of evolution.

This is why those nuns in the Congo caused ebola to happen.

I have never heard that nuns caused Ebola...could you please explain this theory

thannks

Co-Discoverer of Ebola Virus Says That Catholic Nuns? Unclean Needles Were Responsible For the First Outbreak

“In their hospital they regularly gave pregnant women vitamin injections using unsterilized needles. By doing so, they infected many young women in Yambuku [in the Congo] with the virus… I can still see the Ebola patients in Yambuku, how they died in their shacks and we couldn’t do anything except let them die.”

How is that any different than banning any mention of a creator?

To bann information which we know is accurate and to bann any explaination of such things as geology or how viruses evolve to get around immunization programs etc is very different from banning any mention of pixies or the great sky daddy.

P.S. I would not bann any mention of God. I would like to see such things debated and scrutinized.

thank you, this now makes sense...

for the record, they didn't "cause Ebola to happen" rather, they spread the disease by using unsterilized needles to inject vitamins into pregnant women

Actually no. They created a situation where a pre-existing disease which did not pass from human to human very easily at all had ample opportunity to get it right. Evolution did it's stuff and the disease was able to become better at being passed from human to human.

To bann information which we know is accurate and to bann any explaination of such things as geology or how viruses evolve to get around immunization programs etc is very different from banning any mention of pixies or the great sky daddy.

P.S. I would not bann any mention of God. I would like to see such things debated and scrutinized.
Hypocrisy at it's finest.

Hypocrisy at it's finest.

If you can supply evidence for the existance of a creator in a similar way to the necessary evidence that makes geology correct or astronomy has to do to back up it's claims of the Andromeda galaxy being 2+ million light years away then you would have some sort of point if I had said that I support the banning of mention of God in school.

Please explain how I was at all hypocritical.

Actually no. They created a situation where a pre-existing disease which did not pass from human to human very easily at all had ample opportunity to get it right. Evolution did it's stuff and the disease was able to become better at being passed from human to human.

no that is incorrect, you are not understanding Ebola...it causes hemorrhagic fever like the Marburg virus and is spread via bodily fluids...it is highly contagious...if you research the disease they do not know how it jumped species although there are a few theories and there are also five different species of the virus, four of which are fairly deadly

Ebola can now be caught from humans and some types of animals

these Belgian nuns inadvertently spread the disease due to lack of sterilization

Dr. Piot admits to being remiss in not explaining in harsh enough terms how such lack of sanitation contributes and because he did not it happened numerous times in other clinics in Africa throughout the decades

Back
Top Bottom