• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Religion & $$$$

Dragonfly

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
https://www.foxnews.com/us/megachurch-pastor-criticized-for-buying-wife-200g-lamborghini

South Carolina pastor defended buying his wife a $200,000 Lamborghini Urus as an eighth wedding anniversary present after coming under fire for the purchase.

Pastor John Gray, the leader of Relentless Church in Greenville, S.C., came under fire for presenting his wife, Aventer, with the expensive vehicle.

Yet I wonder, how many members of that "mega-church" might think there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with this?

I see no logical reason why it isn't long past time to start looking into some IRS audits of many of these "mega-church" corporations.

Does anyone here believe "Mega-churches" should still have "protected status" from taxes and audits?

Yet I wonder, how many members of that "mega-church" might think there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with this?

I see no logical reason why it isn't long past time to start looking into some IRS audits of many of these "mega-church" corporations.

Does anyone here believe "Mega-churches" should still have "protected status" from taxes and audits?
What's wrong with this? Your OP doesn't say.
The man earned his money by writing books and hosting a TV show.
If you're looking for "logical reasons" start with the reason behind the OP and see what you find.
What is the political theory behind church tax exemption? Do you know? And how does this story relate to that theory?

“Woe to the shepherds of Israel, who have become feeders of themselves! Is it not the flock that the shepherds ought to feed?”​ Ezekiel 34:2

"You received free, give free." Matthew 10:8

"Shepherd the flock of God under your care, serving as overseers, not under compulsion, but willingly before God; not for love of dishonest gain, but eagerly; not lording it over those who are God’s inheritance, but becoming examples to the flock." 1 Peter 5:2,3

“Woe to the shepherds of Israel, who have become feeders of themselves! Is it not the flock that the shepherds ought to feed?”​ Ezekiel 34:2

"Shepherd the flock of God under your care, serving as overseers, not under compulsion, but willingly before God; not for love of dishonest gain, but eagerly; not lording it over those who are God’s inheritance, but becoming examples to the flock." 1 Peter 5:2,3

Are you going to actually answer my question? With your own words? From your own mind?

As long as there is a "fool born every minute", and as long as the U.S. acts in a hands off manner toward anyone claiming to found a religion, then there will be shysters willing to take peoples money.,

So, how many flocks are YOU in charge of? What do you know about running a church?

Dragonfly, same question. What do you know about running a church and what does this have to do with you?

If you guys don't like it, don't go there, don't contribute.

Are you going to actually answer my question? With your own words? From your own mind?

I did...

"And stop being molded by this system of things, but be transformed by making your mind over, so that you may prove to yourselves the good and acceptable and perfect will of God." Romans 12:2

Yes. Although I think there are abuses and grounds to audit and revoke religious status. Contributions to ones religion should not be a taxed revenue stream in general. This also does well to protect the principle of separation between church & state, which I will continue to strongly support right up until my religion becomes the clear majority ;)

Yes. Although I think there are abuses and grounds to audit and revoke religious status. Contributions to ones religion should not be a taxed revenue stream in general. This also does well to protect the principle of separation between church & state, which I will continue to strongly support right up until my religion becomes the clear majority ;)

How would you suggest those abuses be discovered if not through reporting and audit?

I did...

"And stop being molded by this system of things, but be transformed by making your mind over, so that you may prove to yourselves the good and acceptable and perfect will of God." Romans 12:2

So you just openly admit to plagiarizing?

This also does well to protect the principle of separation between church & state,

How exactly would mega-churches reporting income, and possibly being taxed in it, have any effect on the "separation" principle?

How would you suggest those abuses be discovered if not through reporting and audit?
It is my understanding of the current IRS structure there is some degree of limited reporting; however, I would figure such an audit would be based on a complaint open to contributing members of the organization. I think public complaints would likely just encourage activists.

I see no reason there can't be more clear guidelines then exist currently that look to narrow the scope of the exemption. To my understanding, I think currently there are two main grounds of lose of status: going all to one individual or political/action campaigning. But really, if a church isn't just being just a church[place of learning / community] but rather a whole range of activity or what seems like a for profit scheme; there does become a point where its outside of the guiding principles.It certianly doesn't apply to all or likely even most megachurchs but it is not a system without abuses that could be reduced some.

How exactly would mega-churches reporting income, and possibly being taxed in it, have any effect on the "separation" principle?
Once it's taxed then it is a political entity with the rights and privileges that come with taking on that responsibility.

Never forget the best defence is a good offence and you can't stop a political entity from protecting her own interests.

Once it's taxed then it is a political entity with the rights and privileges that come with taking on that responsibility.

How does taxing a mega-chuch make it any more of a political entity than it already is?

In many ways all churches are political entities regardless of tax-exempt.
Like it or not religion is and has been playing a rather large role in politics over the last few decades. That's hard to ignore.

Ive never understood the reasons behind why religious institutions are tax exempt. If everyone pays taxes, then so should they.

As long as there is a "fool born every minute", and as long as the U.S. acts in a hands off manner toward anyone claiming to found a religion, then there will be shysters willing to take peoples money.,

Yep, application of existing laws of fraud should destroy all religion.

Ive never understood the reasons behind why religious institutions are tax exempt. If everyone pays taxes, then so should they.

I think most of it's around the charitable, giving back side of things many churches do.

Government taking tax money, directly takes the food and money away from the people the church is trying to help.

So you just openly admit to plagiarizing?

Not forming one's own arguments isn't plagiarizing; it's just intellectual laziness.

Plagiarizing is intellectual theft. Plagiarizing would be if she were trying to pass off others' words/arguments as her own words/arguments. She (as far as I've seen) always lists the source(s) she's pulling from.

Let's see. 1st wedding anniversary is paper. 5th is wood. 8th is Lamborghini.

Yeah that sounds right. I think it's in the Bible too.

People who give their money to these crooks are gullible as hell.

What's wrong with this? Your OP doesn't say.
The man earned his money by writing books and hosting a TV show.
If you're looking for "logical reasons" start with the reason behind the OP and see what you find.
What is the political theory behind church tax exemption? Do you know? And how does this story relate to that theory?

The tax rules involved have huge holes that are being exploited. That's what this thread is about, imo.

Multiple mega mansions written off as "parsonages", and fleets of jets + luxury cars written off who knows how.
Ken Copeland: God Gave Us Private Jets Because You Can't Talk to God in Coach — Pirate Christian Media

Nuts:
https://www.piratechristian.com/mes...-word-of-faith-sorcery-and-big-piles-of-money

I think most of it's around the charitable, giving back side of things many churches do.

Government taking tax money, directly takes the food and money away from the people the church is trying to help.

Now, if you have a separate entity run by the church that is specifically for charity, and it is run along the same guidelines as every other charity when it comes to accountability, that issue goes away.

Back
Top Bottom