• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Religion (not spirituality) has Done More Harm than Good?

Religion (not spirituality) has Done More Harm than Good

• Total voters
If it takes the belief of myth and superstition to keep somebody from killing me, then so be it. Whatever works. I'm cool with it.

Yes.... but there are other religions that use myth and superstition to justify killing you and flying planes into buildings. It does work both ways.

My experiences are the same. Religion was the club used to beat me emotionally for most of my life. I have never been happier in my life than when I got out from under the oppressive beliefs I was raised with.

Yeah - what is *with* that?
My family *is* that way - every time we get together it's an adventure into "I wish you'd take the kids to church more" and "I wish *you'd* go to church more" - and every gift is religious . . . religion is *everywhere*

The kids and I dropped in unexpectedly at my Dad's office (at church) and he dove onto it as an opportunity to teach the kids about God - bible lessons and everything :shrug:

It's as if I, being anti-religious - have been usurped as *parent* to my children whenever my family comes around or a holiday is afoot.

Yet, at the same time, my kids - even my older two with their disorders - are great students, artistic, talented, love to read, they're inventive and creative. They're obedient, understanding and respectful and very well behaved and don't cross any lines very often.

:shrug:

I think our successful marriage, family and lifestyle is evident that you don't *need* a god or religion to be decent and squared away. . . you simply need to go "I want to be a decent person" and *there you go*

No, my assertion is that EVERYTHING came simultaneous with religion. Religion has been a part of our society ever since cavemen looked up and saw lightning and made up a god to explain it. Science and medicine also came with religion. Everything did, that's the point. You can't separate early society from religion.

Agreed.

Groucho said:
However, some things can be separated from religion. Morality may have evolved at the same time as religion, but a lot of morality is completely independent of it. "Do not kill" exists in every society.

So does religion.

Groucho said:
If morality is ONLY religion based, then how do you explain atheists with morals? I mean, seriously you cannot argue with a straight face that atheists are all immoral.

I don't necessarily think morality is religious as a matter of logic, but rather as a matter of historical fact. The morality that atheists acknowledge is religion's gift to them whether they know it or not.

In other words, there may be no God, and human beings may create their own morality. But if so, religion is the method we use to create it.

I don't necessarily think morality is religious as a matter of logic, but rather as a matter of historical fact. The morality that atheists acknowledge is religion's gift to them whether they know it or not.

In other words, there may be no God, and human beings may create their own morality. But if so, religion is the method we use to create it.

Buddhist have no "God" - but are extremely moral and respectful people in general, extremely understanding and tolerant and accept life for what it is - not for what it might be if we were all perfect creatures.

Buddhist have no "God" - but are extremely moral and respectful people in general, extremely understanding and tolerant and accept life for what it is - not for what it might be if we were all perfect creatures.

Buddha proposed the Noble Eightfold Path along with the Law of Karma and the Law of Dependent Origination. Because Buddha was not handed these by God(like Moses), one could say that morals or ethics are spiritual rather than religious.

Buddha proposed the Noble Eightfold Path along with the Law of Karma and the Law of Dependent Origination. Because Buddha was not handed these by God(like Moses), one could say that morals or ethics are spiritual rather than religious.

Perhaps. . . but then that doesn't explain the very immoral people who surround theirselves with religion.

I guess there are always going to be holes in the cheese no matter how you slice it.

Do you mean both sides have assholes, so this whole debates is stupid? Yeah!!

/end thread.

Back
Top Bottom