• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Religion and World Peace

Logician Man

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
With all of the differing religious theologies, some of which direct their followers to go forth and convert all to believe as they do, some even using physical force, is there any scenario in which it is conceivable world wide peace can ever be achieved ?

With all of the differing religious theologies, some of which direct their followers to go forth and convert all to believe as they do, some even using physical force, is there any scenario in which it is conceivable world wide peace can ever be achieved ?

Probably not, realistically speaking.

No, there isn't.

All of the major religions and most of the fringe cults beat the same drums:

My faith is the one true faith.
My church is the one true church.
My god is the one true god.

Thay can't all be right, but they can and do insist, often violently, that everyone should share their delusions. Occam's Razor says they're all wrong, but we'll never convince them of that.

I can honestly say, if all lived as JW's do, there would be peace...true world peace...even now, in the violent world we live in, 8 1/2 million do live in peace...refusing to take up arms against our brothers, refusing to take political sides, refusing to lie, cheat or steal from anyone...we are a nation among ourselves of peaceful people taken from among all the nations...

I don't see it happening any time soon.

What is your criteria for "world peace" ?

I can honestly say, if all lived as JW's do, there would be peace...true world peace...even now, in the violent world we live in, 8 1/2 million do live in peace...refusing to take up arms against our brothers, refusing to take political sides, refusing to lie, cheat or steal from anyone...we are a nation among ourselves of peaceful people taken from among all the nations...

But if that happened, who would be at home to answer the door?

Religion has caused wars. So if you get rid of all religion there won't be any wars.

This is one of the central atheist beliefs. But look at it logically. Have wars ever been caused by anything besides religion? World War I, World War II, the Korean war, the Vietnam war.

Wars described in the Old Testament, none of them about religion that I can think of.

Tribal wars -- often over territory, none over religion that I know of.

Religious wars have occurred in certain times and places in the West. The crusades, for example. But I don't think religion caused wars in the East.

So I think atheists ought to think more carefully. About this, and about everything else. You tend to be very careless in your thinking.

Yeah, Sure.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ccused-of-silencing-victims-of-child-abuse-uk

Religion has caused wars. So if you get rid of all religion there won't be any wars.

This is one of the central atheist beliefs. But look at it logically. Have wars ever been caused by anything besides religion? World War I, World War II, the Korean war, the Vietnam war.

Wars described in the Old Testament, none of them about religion that I can think of.

Religious wars have occurred in certain times and places in the West. The crusades, for example. But I don't think religion caused wars in the East.

So I think atheists ought to think more carefully. About this, and about everything else. You tend to be very careless in your thinking.

There is no central atheist belief, ffs. The only thing all atheists have in common, is disbelief of all god claims.

Talk about being careless in your thinking. Talk about projecting your faults on to others...:roll:

wars start for many reasons, including religion.

I don't know of any atheist who has ever claimed there would be no wars if there was no religion. Where did you come up with this fallacious assumption ? Do you have a verifiable citation to support your claim ? Is so, please present it. If not, your positive claim can,and will, be summarily dismissed.

There is no central atheist belief, ffs. The only thing all atheists have in common, is disbelief of all god claims.

Talk about being careless in your thinking. Talk about projecting your faults on to others...:roll:

wars start for many reasons, including religion.

Every well-known atheist I know of has said that religion causes wars. It is one of their central beliefs.

They also say there can't be a god or gods, because bad things happen to people.

They also say that life is an accident, and there is no creating force.

They also say that consciousness is generated by physical brains, and nothing else.

The above are central beliefs of atheists today. Especially the New Atheists, who claim to base their ideas on science.

If you actually read any of the well-known atheists, you will see that they do have a definite set of central beliefs.

I don't know of any atheist who has ever claimed there would be no wars if there was no religion. Where did you come up with this fallacious assumption ? Do you have a verifiable citation to support your claim ? Is so, please present it. If not, your positive claim can,and will, be summarily dismissed.

Your OP seems to blame war on religion:

"With all of the differing religious theologies, some of which direct their followers to go forth and convert all to believe as they do, some even using physical force, is there any scenario in which it is conceivable world wide peace can ever be achieved ?"

You doubt there can ever be world peace and you blame that on religion. So I don't know what your logic here is supposed to be, Logician Man.

Your OP seems to blame war on religion:

"With all of the differing religious theologies, some of which direct their followers to go forth and convert all to believe as they do, some even using physical force, is there any scenario in which it is conceivable world wide peace can ever be achieved ?"

You doubt there can ever be world peace and you blame that on religion. So I don't know what your logic here is supposed to be, Logician Man.

You, yourself stated in post #8 religion causes wars. As for your claim I stated there would be world peace if there was no religion, that is something I never claimed in the OP. You really need to improve your reading comprehension skills and give up on trying to read other's minds, as you clearly you are failing quite miserably in that endeavor.

You, yourself stated in post #8 religion causes wars. As for your claim I stated there would be world peace if there was no religion, that is something I never claimed in the OP. You really need to improve your reading comprehension skills and give up on trying to read other's minds, as you clearly you are failing quite miserably in that endeavor.

You implied there could be world peace if there were no religion.

My post said religion has caused SOME wars, and that MOST wars were NOT caused by religion. I do not believe you are a logician.

You implied there could be world peace if there were no religion.

My post said religion has caused SOME wars, and that MOST wars were NOT caused by religion. I do not believe you are a logician.

I didn't imply any such thing. That is all in your head. When you try and fail to put words and thoughts in other's mouths and minds it can make one look rather foolish. I hope for your sake you have learned your lesson in that regard.

I didn't imply any such thing. That is all in your head. When you try and fail to put words and thoughts in other's mouths and minds it can make one look rather foolish. I hope for your sake you have learned your lesson in that regard.

Religion has caused wars. So if you get rid of all religion there won't be any wars...

No, we'd just be spared the wars that religion caused

Plus witch hunts...inquisitions...that kind of thing

...this is one of the central atheist beliefs....

Atheists have no beliefs as a group

Atheists only share one trait - a disbelief in the existence of god or gods

...wars described in the Old Testament, none of them about religion that I can think of...

The invasion of Canaan by the Israelites ?

Was that not an aggressive war motivated by their religion ?

...tribal wars -- often over territory, none over religion that I know of....

The conquest of Canaan and the genocide of its people was hardly a "tribal war"

...religious wars have occurred in certain times and places in the West. The crusades, for example. But I don't think religion caused wars in the East....

The Muslim expansion...into Spain...into Eastern Europe as far North as Vienna ?

...I think atheists ought to think more carefully...

I think you need to learn more history.

Here’s a controversial statement for you. I wouldn’t want “world peace” in a world in a state like we currently live(religion or not). I think the majority of the world outside the west is a bunch of savages who would kill or torture me and my love ones if the wind blew wrong. I think a good portion of the west if not abated would gladly lead us down a path destruction, poverty, suffering and death.

World peace could at this time only come by tyranny.

Most religions, regardless of denomination, are pretty solid in principle minus the odd one here and there. In practice however they are mostly communities filled with the spiritually sick or stale stalwarts of glory past.

I want my community in peace. Strongly defended against a world most content to burn by its own hand and take me and my loved ones with her. When peace comes it comes at a threat of a sword. My prayer there is only I am free to follow, teach and live with God in a manner true to my heart. Free to defend what I hold sacred and against the enemies who gather at my gate.

Here’s a controversial statement for you. I wouldn’t want “world peace” in a world in a state like we currently live(religion or not). I think the majority of the world outside the west is a bunch of savages who would kill or torture me and my love ones if the wind blew wrong. I think a good portion of the west if not abated would gladly lead us down a path destruction, poverty, suffering and death.

World peace could at this time only come by tyranny.

Most religions, regardless of denomination, are pretty solid in principle minus the odd one here and there. In practice however they are mostly communities filled with the spiritually sick or stale stalwarts of glory past.

I want my community in peace. Strongly defended against a world most content to burn by its own hand and take me and my loved ones with her. When peace comes it comes at a threat of a sword. My prayer there is only I am free to follow, teach and live with God in a manner true to my heart. Free to defend what I hold sacred and against the enemies who gather at my gate.

That would be true if peace was forced in any way but peace where all people are willing...desiring to live in peace...who always have the other person's best interest at heart...all have the same goal in mind...not to have to live in fear anymore, no need for locks on your doors, security systems, guns...well, what a life that would be...

That would be true if peace was forced in any way but peace where all people are willing...desiring to live in peace...who always have the other person's best interest at heart...all have the same goal in mind...not to have to live in fear anymore, no need for locks on your doors, security systems, guns...well, what a life that would be...
What a world indeed...

Instead we have places where, children boy or girl, are more raped than not. Being high is the norm. Beheaded or mutated for a crime. Acid attacks are ignored. Starvation over a leaders ego. Third world conditions miles from most developed urban centres and wealthy governments. Slavery on the rise and supported by companies in regions who stand against. Hunted for your body parts. Animal sacrificed to extinction. Interment. Hacked to death for physical feature or family. Forced to fight war and rape others as children. Many making a living on murder, thief, prostitution, kidnapping & fraud. Toxic substances and biological hazards being willfuly dumped on living areas. Deadly vacines given to children for curruption. Fake cures willfully given to the sick. Doctors which if not bribed botch delivery of new borns...etc...etc

All I can say is thank God the US military remains terrifying. May those who give us over to the world be tempered.

World peace will never be achieved and it has nothing to do with religion. 100% of all people could be atheists and it still wouldn't happen.

World peace will never be achieved and it has nothing to do with religion. 100% of all people could be atheists and it still wouldn't happen.

I tend to agree there will never be world peace, but what compels you to claim religion 'has nothing' to do with it when history clearly indicates otherwise?

I tend to agree there will never be world peace, but what compels you to claim religion 'has nothing' to do with it when history clearly indicates otherwise?

Could you be more specific with what big historic examples were religious but not political?

Could you be more specific with what big historic examples were religious but not political?

I'm unable to post links on this device, but you can google 'religious wars' and see many of them if you're interested.

Back
Top Bottom