• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Religion and World Peace

With all of the differing religious theologies, some of which direct their followers to go forth and convert all to believe as they do, some even using physical force, is there any scenario in which it is conceivable world wide peace can ever be achieved ?

its always possible but you are right.... unfortunately many people use religion as a tool against others instead of for ones self and the two major religions on the planet are double edged swords. they have both the "power" to give piece but yet are the basis of many wars and deaths over the the planets history......

the old saying about power, corruption etc

Religion has caused wars. So if you get rid of all religion there won't be any wars.

This is one of the central atheist beliefs. .

ill just stop right there at that lie or pure ignorance . .pick one
i dont know anybody that says that nor are there "central atheist beliefs" LMAO

Religion has caused wars. So if you get rid of all religion there won't be any wars.

This is one of the central atheist beliefs. But look at it logically. Have wars ever been caused by anything besides religion? World War I, World War II, the Korean war, the Vietnam war.

Wars described in the Old Testament, none of them about religion that I can think of.

Tribal wars -- often over territory, none over religion that I know of.

Religious wars have occurred in certain times and places in the West. The crusades, for example. But I don't think religion caused wars in the East.

So I think atheists ought to think more carefully. About this, and about everything else. You tend to be very careless in your thinking.

/// Religion has caused wars. So if you get rid of religion there won't be any wars. This is one of the central atheist beliefs.///// I challenge you to pull up just ONE post here at DP where any atheist has EVER made this positive claim. ( good luck with that one )

/// Religion has caused wars. So if you get rid of religion there won't be any wars. This is one of the central atheist beliefs.///// I challenge you to pull up just ONE post here at DP where any atheist has EVER made this positive claim. ( good luck with that one )

No such claim has been made here. Good4Nothing is making it up again, as usual.

With all of the differing religious theologies, some of which direct their followers to go forth and convert all to believe as they do, some even using physical force, is there any scenario in which it is conceivable world wide peace can ever be achieved ?

I don't think so. Religion is often just a vehicle not a cause.

I think about it this way, religion is a brainchild of man. It isn't ordained by God. In some cases religion quite possibly may have been a creation simply to convince people to go to war.

Sono the fundamental thing which makes us fight with one another would still be there if you replaced religion with something else or with nothing. Case in point secular States that have gone to war.

I'll say this. America would be alot better if it weren't for the psychopathic dominionist Christian's.

You mean this post?

Yeah...that was a nice attempt at changing your narrative but let's revisit your OP:

Your questions is asking whether it's conceivable for there to be world-wide peace. Now what is the premise of your leadup to your question? You said, "With all of the differing religious theologies, some of which direct their followers to go forth and convert all to believe as they do". That means the thing which is making it not possible is religion, by your own words.

Trying to reinvent your OP after it being demonstrated to be ridiculous doesn't work very well when we can just go back and quote it.

He's a big fan of weasel words.

Some? I know some religious groups other than Musims have used violence in the name of their religion (Christians, Hindus and Jews), but can you point to scriptural imperatives ordering said violence in no uncertain terms? Can you point to a prophet that led by violent example other than Mohamed? Is there any religion that has a command that even comes close to Islam's 9:29 or Mohamed's call to jihad in the hadiths?

Back
Top Bottom