• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Reid adds controversial immigration measure to defense bill

Renae

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Washington (CNN) - Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said Tuesday he will add the DREAM Act, a controversial immigration measure, to a defense policy bill the Senate will take up next week.

The decision means the defense bill, which often passes with bipartisan support, will be home to two major, thorny political issues – the other being the repeal of the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy.
CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive - Reid adds controversial immigration measure to defense bill « - Blogs from CNN.com

I don't care WHICH party is in power, this should NEVER be allowed, attaching non-related **** to bills.

Throw the bastxxx out of office. I never liked riders to spending bills. I agree it should never be allowed. I can see it now, if you vote no you are not supporting our troops, never mind the bs immigration attachment.

What a sly scoundrel. He is such a dishonest failure of a partisan geezer.

Sadly this comes under the heading of S.O.P. and it's done on a fairly regular basis on both sides of the isle when controversy threatens a pet piece O garbage.

I agree the Rules need to be changed in favor of the one thing we haven't seen any of from the triefecta of doom Obama, Pelosi, and Reid.

That being openness and transparency another lie as I recall what we were told. But then that's two things.

Last edited:
I'll ask the obvious question, what is the DREAM Act and what does it do...

I'll ask the obvious question, what is the DREAM Act and what does it do...

DREAM Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This bill would provide certain illegal immigrant students who graduate from US high schools, who are of good moral character, arrived in the U.S. as minors, and have been in the country continuously for at least five years prior to the bill's enactment, the opportunity to earn conditional permanent residency. The alien students would obtain temporary residency for a six year period. Within the six year period, a qualified student must have "acquired a degree from an institution of higher education in the United States or [have] completed at least 2 years, in good standing, in a program for a bachelor's degree or higher degree in the United States," or have "served in the uniformed services for at least 2 years and, if discharged, [have] received an honorable discharge." "Any alien whose permanent resident status is terminated [according to the terms of the Act] shall return to the immigration status the alien had immediately prior to receiving conditional permanent resident status under this Act."

It doesn't sound that bad to me, if these individuals can go to college or serve the military and obviously want to say in the US why not welcome them? We already spent tax dollars giving them a high school education and if they can afford a college education which they will use in the US with their permanent residence than fine. I could forgive the crime of crossing the border.

One thing that would make it nicer would be to make the age window smaller, this should be focused on individuals who crossed the border illegally as small children and didn't know what they were doing or had to follow because of their parents.

I wouldn't necessarily support it or create it as a Senator but it wouldn't be a huge deal either if it passed.

Try to find a Defense spending bill in US history that does not carry riders. It's always been a way to pass legislation that the other party hates. Or, at least doesn't care for. i.e: tack on something too heavy and the bill will falter.

I'm just using this incident to rail against a practice I find sleazy as hell.

Try to find a Defense spending bill in US history that does not carry riders. It's always been a way to pass legislation that the other party hates. Or, at least doesn't care for. i.e: tack on something too heavy and the bill will falter.

Because it has been done in the past does not justify doing it. I have been against this practice of "riders" since I could vote. We really need to have people in office who care for this country and not what is just good for my party. Yes, its politics in the US. IMO, it is an abuse of the system. Heck I remember when they tacked the prayer in schools to the Dept of Interior spending bill.

As I said before, the political spin out of this for those that vote no (assuming the rider does get tacked onto the defense bill), is they don't support the troops. There will be little to no mention of the rider. If I was a member of Congress, the defense bill would be dead till the rider gets removed. I also would be all over the press to explain why?

Congress, deal with immigration on its own merit. Heck if you want the Dream act so bad, tack onto your pay raise, bet it gets passed then.:lol:

i agree with you, but the measure seems like a good one.

I don't care if it feeds homeless orphans and keeps old people in their homes, DON'T ATTACH ****. Bills should stand or fall on their own merit.

I'm just using this incident to rail against a practice I find sleazy as hell.

Yeah, the Republicans wouldn't do such a thing as this. cough, cough.:roll:

Does that make it right then? No. Republicans, Democrats, its wrong for anyone to do this. However, we are not discussing Republicans, but Harry Reid and his dishonest move and trying to pass the DREAM act in a bill that has nothing to do with it.

i agree with you, but the measure seems like a good one.

Cop to Jose.... "why did you break into this house"?

Jose to cop....."they have more good things in their house than I have in mine".

Cop to Jose.... "OK, take what you want and by the way, you can live here too if you want". :roll:

And if you BOTHERED TO READ THE OP, you'd see I slam them for it too. In fact find where I say this is a DNC thing?

You = :failpail:

And if you BOTHERED TO READ THE OP, you'd see I slam them for it too. In fact find where I say this is a DNC thing?

You = :failpail:
Rationalization has a way of changing one's mind. It's just soooooooooo easy to criticize when the other guy is doing it. :2razz:

Rationalization has a way of changing one's mind. It's just soooooooooo easy to criticize when the other guy is doing it. :2razz:

IMO at some time the status quo for Congress needs to stop. By your statment are you supporting the way Congress has been operating for years? I for one am tired of partisan politics, riders to funding bills, and wastefull spending. Maybe the Dems don't have the courage to change. I used Dems because they control things at the moment.

Ridiculous.

Now I hope the defense bill fails and then the Dem's stop playing politics by putting large, highly controversial bills attached to it.

Then again, we have a President who told the Hispanic Caucus last night that he "faught hard to get children of illegal immigrants health care" so I mean, really, why not continue to pander to people violating our laws to assure themselves votes :roll:

Ridiculous.

Now I hope the defense bill fails and then the Dem's stop playing politics by putting large, highly controversial bills attached to it.

Then again, we have a President who told the Hispanic Caucus last night that he "faught hard to get children of illegal immigrants health care" so I mean, really, why not continue to pander to people violating our laws to assure themselves votes :roll:

i'm not sure illegals vote.

However hispanics do, is shown to be the fastest growing minority group in the U.S., and are generally on the side of pro-benefits for and ignoring laws against illegal immigrants.

Back
Top Bottom