• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Rehnquist is dead...

May the Chief Justice rest in peace...........

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
I just heard, that sucks. Now there is gonna be two Bush appointees, the lefts going to go nuts.

Yes 2 strong Conservatives........Maybe we can get that murderous Roe V Wade finally overturned and stop the murder of innocent babies in the womb....I was hoping to see that before I die

Last edited:
I just heard the news on our local radio station. He fought the good fight right to the end. Yes, may he rest in peace.

God bless Rehnquist.

I smell a future Constitutional crisis.

God-dammit! That son of a bitch. Why did he have to die on Bushs' watch? This just sucks. There goes the rest of our Constitution.

I don't want Roe v Wade overturned. I just want it to be enforced as written and for abortion to become socially unacceptable.

I think Rehnquist would agree. He voted for Roe v Wade.

If we thought there was a catfight over Judge Roberts, however, just wait until our President nominates the next Chief Justice. I can hear the muskets being loaded and cocked now.

Billo_Really said:
God-dammit! That son of a bitch. Why did he have to die on Bushs' watch? This just sucks. There goes the rest of our Constitution.

Ah just seeing you say that is making this sad news a little lighter. Bush get's a nearly unprecidented 2 Supreme Court Nominees, and with plenty of old members on the Supreme Court a 3rd is always possible, imagine in one presidential stint Bush rebuilds the entire Supreme Court. :rofl

Last edited:
AlbqOwl said:
I don't want Roe v Wade overturned. I just want it to be enforced as written and for abortion to become socially unacceptable.

If we thought there was a catfight over Judge Roberts, however, just wait until our President nominates the next Chief Justice. I can hear the muskets being loaded and cocked now.

I think the best way to handle the abortion issue is to let every state decide it...........It should not be a federal issue..........

I don't think when Roe V Wade was enacted anyone thought there would be 40,000,000 abortions in the last 33 years.......

Last edited:
Navy Pride said:
I think the best way to handle the abortion issue is to let every state decide it...........It should not be a federal issue..........

I don't think when Roe V Wade was enacted anyone thought there would be 40,000,000 abortions in the last 33 years.......

I agree that massive abortions was not the intent of the Supremes when Roe v Wade was enacted and I don't think anybody on the Court at that time envisioned such a possibility. The language of Roe v Wade is specific and exquisite giving the government authority to protect the baby in the second trimester and forbid abortion, if appropriate, in the last Trimester. It has been a liberal court that has reinterpreted and expanded those intentions over the last few decades so that the original intent is almost forgotten.

The Federal government has to maintain some interest because of their jurisdiction over federal employees, military, etc. and these have families where babies are produced too. I don't think it would be difficult for the Supremes to allow individual states to pass their own laws, for or against, within the framework of Roe v Wade. I agree it is a matter that should be left to the states, or even better to individual communities.

I'm rooting for new judges who appreciate states rights, individual rights, and the original intent of the Constitution.

Billo_Really said:

By; "there goes the rest of our constitution," I take it you mean now the constitution is going to be followed to the letter. You know that Roberts is a strict constructionalist right? Not like the living document folks on the left ha ha. Anywho let's try to find the silver lining . . . maybe the female constitiency will get their woman Supreme Court Justice that they were clamoring for to replace O'connor.

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
By; "there goes the rest of our constitution," I take it you mean now the constitution is going to be followed to the letter. You know that Roberts is a strict constructionalist right? Not like the living document folks on the left ha ha. Anywho let's try to find the silver lining . . . maybe the female constitiency will get their woman Supreme Court Justice that they were clamoring for to replace O'connor.

Yes I agree, Janis Rogers Brown or Patricia Owens would be perfect......

Navy Pride said:
May the Chief Justice rest in peace...........
Amen. I feel the same way along with the sadness that accompanies the death of a great american.:hm

Albqowl........Rehnquist was one of 2 dissenting votes on Roe V Wade......Here is the link

http://members.aol.com/abtrbng/410us113.htm

BLACKMUN, J., delivered the opinion of the Court, in which BURGER, C. J., and DOUGLAS, BRENNAN, STEWART, MARSHALL, and POWELL, JJ., joined. BURGER, C. J., post, p. 207, DOUGLAS, J., post, p. 209, and STEWART, J., post, p. 167, filed concurring opinions. WHITE, J., filed a dissenting opinion, in which REHNQUIST, J., joined, post, p. 221. REHNQUIST, J., filed a dissenting opinion, post, p. 171.

Last edited:
Let's all remember, that even if we disagreed with his rulings, the man faithfully served our country for many years and the US Supreme Court for nearly 20 years.

Thank you for the service Rehnquist.

Navy Pride said:

I agree with you completely that this is an issue to be left up to the states. The 10th Amendment says so. Abortion should not be ruled on by the Supreme Court one way or the other.

Originally posted by Trajan Octavian Titus:
I'm not too sure what your saying here. Could you explain.

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Originally posted by SuperSkippy:
Ah just seeing you say that is making this sad news a little lighter. Bush get's a nearly unprecidented 2 Supreme Court Nominees, and with plenty of old members on the Supreme Court a 3rd is always possible, imagine in one presidential stint Bush rebuilds the entire Supreme Court
As long as your happy, Skip, that's all that matters.

You all do realize what this means? all Democrats and/or Liberals won't be fairly represented in the Supreme Court.
The votes will differ from one another, and the left might get one or two bills through, but that would be it. If your conservative, then your happy with this (i would assume), but, this means that, if Bush picks a conservative (which he most likely will. But, you never know), that means the end of Checks and Ballances. Without the supreme court equaly (at least with two or more leftists) represented by the nation, then conservatives, namely Bush, can do anything. That will lead to the house of representatives to have no real voice in politics. The end of Representative Democracy, as we know it. It would become a 1984 clone. Librals would be the Prolateriats, and conservatives would be the inner party members. All un-registered voters would be outer party members. Or, it could turn out that there would be an uprising after a number of years of conservative control. since half the country (voters wise) would be pissed, things would get ugly. Or, things would stay the same. high gas prices, no end to terrorism in sight, and debates on the internet talking about what is morally correct for fetuses. I have to go vomit now.:2sick1:

Argonath said:
You all do realize what this means? all Democrats and/or Liberals won't be fairly represented in the Supreme Court.
The votes will differ from one another, and the left might get one or two bills through, but that would be it. If your conservative, then your happy with this (i would assume), but, this means that, if Bush picks a conservative (which he most likely will. But, you never know), that means the end of Checks and Ballances. Without the supreme court equaly (at least with two or more leftists) represented by the nation, then conservatives, namely Bush, can do anything. That will lead to the house of representatives to have no real voice in politics. The end of Representative Democracy, as we know it. It would become a 1984 clone. Librals would be the Prolateriats, and conservatives would be the inner party members. All un-registered voters would be outer party members. Or, it could turn out that there would be an uprising after a number of years of conservative control. since half the country (voters wise) would be pissed, things would get ugly. Or, things would stay the same. high gas prices, no end to terrorism in sight, and debates on the internet talking about what is morally correct for fetuses. I have to go vomit now.:2sick1:

Funny I never heard democrats and liberals complain about checks and balances when they controlled the presidency, the congress, and the SCOTUS..........:roll:

well, I'm only fifteen, i wasn't into things like this when I wasn't born yet. when has there been a full Supreme Court of Leftists? really, tell me, and I'll pretend to give you money.

This just shows how ****ing stubborn conservatives are. The geezer was dying, and he refused to resign. What a prick.

I hope that the liberals in the senate continue to filibuster the supreme court nominees. The SCOTUS should be a moderate entity, considering that's what it's supposed to do(haha, pun!).

Mark my words, the minute Bush appoints two Naz... i mean Neoconservative judges, I'm packing my **** up and going to Canada. Life is too short to spend in a country that is run by a man who attempts to pass laws that are based on extremist religious morals.

Back
Top Bottom