• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Refusing heart transplant for anti-vaxxer

Mach

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal

DJ's family says he was at the front of the line to receive a transplant but hospital policy stipulates that he's no longer eligible because he hasn't received the vaccination.
And David Ferguson says his son simply won't. "It's kind of against his basic principles — he doesn't believe in it," David Ferguson says. "It's a policy they are enforcing and so, because he won't get the shot, they took him off the list (for) a heart transplant."

"Post any transplant, kidney, heart whatever, your immune system is shut off," Caplan said. "The flu could kill you, a cold could kill you, COVID could kill you. The organs are scarce, we are not going to distribute them to someone who has a poor chance of living when others who are vaccinated have a better chance post-surgery of surviving."

DJ is a father of two children with a third child on the way. His family says they're not sure what they plan to do. They're thinking about transferring him, but he may be too weak to be moved.

Taking anti-vaxx "principles" to another level. What sort of a monster chooses anti-vaxx over being there for their kids?

Taking anti-vaxx "principles" to another level. What sort of a monster chooses anti-vaxx over being there for their kids?

This is a very sad story.

I am not at all happy a healthcare provider is denying care to a fellow American, based upon his vax status.

That being said, the provider seems to have a valid medical reason to refuse.

It's sad all around . . .

I could never imagine choosing to die over choosing to live over an issue like a proven safe vaccine. It is not uncommon for decisions re transplants to be made based on probable outcomes. To see this as punitive is a narrow perspective.

"Post any transplant, kidney, heart whatever, your immune system is shut off," Caplan said. "The flu could kill you, a cold could kill you, COVID could kill you. The organs are scarce, we are not going to distribute them to someone who has a poor chance of living when others who are vaccinated have a better chance post-surgery of surviving."

Same thing happened to a close family friend who upon being scheduled for a liver transplant, was subsequently disapproved for being vaccine defiant. Fortunately for him, and thanks to being treated by an actual physician for alcoholism, he eventually rebounded. Oddly enough though, it was the same physician who's office gave him the news regarding his disapproval. - And suddenly I am reminded of how many anti-vaxxers took their last breath in defiance of a simple vaccine - no matter their kids, spouse, or anyone else who orbits their otherwise good nature.

It shows you the power of misinformation.
If people are willing to die and hurt their kids, is it any wonder that people are stuck in the trump Cult???

BlueTex:

In order to minimise complications from organ rejection, transplant patients are given a battery of immune suppressors to inhibit the immune system from attacking the new organ. A supressed immune system all but negates the otherwise real advantages of being vaccinated for a post-op organ recipient. Therefore the medical ethicist you quoted from the article is not being completely forthcoming IMHO. I suspect that once again politics is worming its way into what should be apolitical medical decisions.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

Next they'll be denied medical coverage and treatment for anything including broken bones or open wounds.

First responders will need to find a way to determine if an unconscious person has been vaccinated before they treat the patient.

It almost sounds like the AIDS/HIV scare of the 70's and 80's. I wonder if the unvaccinated will become a protected class of minorities like AIDS patients? I mean, didn't they engage in risky and unprotected activities as well?

This is sad but transplantation is and will continue to be a triage practice until such a time as we can grow synthetic organs. Until then, priority goes to those with the best overall chance of survival.
I was a little shocked to find around mid-life, how arhcaic are medical systems are. I mean, in some things we're pretty sophisticated, but from a holistic approach of the entire body, doctors seem quite limited in what they can actually do...with large physical issues (like a removing a tumor through surgery) seem easier to approach than other more complex issues. Everything takes so long to develop and is always 10 years out.

But growing your own organs or genetically modified animal grown (to match you)..how wonderful would that be.

Next they'll be denied medical coverage and treatment for anything including broken bones or open wounds.

First responders will need to find a way to determine if an unconscious person has been vaccinated before they treat the patient.

It almost sounds like the AIDS/HIV scare of the 70's and 80's. I wonder if the unvaccinated will become a protected class of minorities like AIDS patients? I mean, didn't they engage in risky and unprotected activities as well?
Nonsense. The hospital made it clear why, and I even quoted it in the OP:

Nonsense. The hospital made it clear why, and I even quoted it in the OP:

Sure, it's the first step to denying all medical treatment.

It's just this beginning of the war, and these are the first shots.

Absurd. Vaccines are already required for most kids in most states, one more is trivial.
And transplant eligibility has always been based on how likely the recipient is to survive, to maximize the use of scare organs.

How ironic! If only he'd taken the first shot....

I am not at all happy a healthcare provider is denying care to a fellow American, based upon his vax status.

There are a number of criteria that cumulatively are supposed to indicate success and survivability.

He failed in that one, we dont know how he ranked on others. Maybe that tipped the scales.

So stupid, so wasteful, potentially so painful for his family.

The family member said, "he doesnt believe in it." I wonder if he 'believed in' vaccines before covid? :rolleyes:

Triage

1 : the sorting of and allocation of treatment to patients and especially battle and disaster victims according to a system of priorities designed to maximize the number of survivors. 2 : the sorting of patients (as in an emergency room) according to the urgency of their need for care.

This directly affects people like my son, who would beg on his knees for a new heart, soon as he can reach the weight where he is considered a candidate.
Sorry, but the hospital is right, because you might as well take that donor heart out of the cooler and toss it right in the trash if the recipient is playing Russian Roulette
with their immunity.

This directly affects people like my son, who would beg on his knees for a new heart, soon as he can reach the weight where he is considered a candidate.
Sorry, but the hospital is right, because you might as well take that donor heart out of the cooler and toss it right in the trash if the recipient is playing Russian Roulette
with their immunity.
Choices to do what health experts require/recommend...right wingers call it being sheep. In reality, it's called being rational.

There are a number of criteria that cumulatively are supposed to indicate success and survivability.

He failed in that one, we dont know how he ranked on others. Maybe that tipped the scales.

So stupid, so wasteful, potentially so painful for his family.

The family member said, "he doesnt believe in it." I wonder if he 'believed in' vaccines before covid? :rolleyes:

"The vaccine is my Lord and my strength. I believe in they power, oh great one"

i would sue.

BlueTex:

In order to minimise complications from organ rejection, transplant patients are given a battery of immune suppressors to inhibit the immune system from attacking the new organ. A supressed immune system all but negates the otherwise real advantages of being vaccinated for a post-op organ recipient. Therefore the medical ethicist you quoted from the article is not being completely forthcoming IMHO. I suspect that once again politics is worming its way into what should be apolitical medical decisions.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

Yes and no.
YES: PRIOR TO the procedure, transplant patients are given a battery of immune suppressors to inhibit the immune system from attacking the new organ.
Yes, exactly right.

NO: You cannot be considered a CANDIDATE for the transplant if you're not vaccinated.
The article simply says he was removed from the candidate list.
If he gets his shots, chances are good he will be put back ON the list again.

Back
Top Bottom