• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Redskins Off Season 2019

Jack Hays

Traveler
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Time for a new thread devoted to the magic that is the Redskins' off season drama.

Icon Sportswire
12hJohn Keim
[h=1]As Alex Smith recovers, Redskins' quest for QB begins anew[/h]With cap space at a premium and Alex Smith's injury likely to affect his 2019 status, the Redskins' options appear limited this offseason.

I hear Colin Kaepernick might be available :lamo

The only thing keeping the Redskins from becoming a complete joke isnthe Giants allowing Eli Manning to control his ending.

If the Giants had a decent qb, the Redskins would completey be in the gutter. I wouldnt be suprised if they traded for Antonio Brown.

Redskins Coach Jay Gruden to return in 2019
Washington's head coach has compiled a 35-44-1 record in five seasons.

What are the team’s options? DC football is, at minimum 5 years away from even a winning record, if they blow it up and start from square one. I don’t think that is in Snyder’s wheelhouse. How many coaches has Snyder had in 20 years of ownership? Eight, I looked it up. As long as there is money to be made things will not improve. Eight coaches in twenty years and Gruden enters year six. That’s seven in fourteen years, you can do the math.......

What are the team’s options? DC football is, at minimum 5 years away from even a winning record, if they blow it up and start from square one. I don’t think that is in Snyder’s wheelhouse. How many coaches has Snyder had in 20 years of ownership? Eight, I looked it up. As long as there is money to be made things will not improve. Eight coaches in twenty years and Gruden enters year six. That’s seven in fourteen years, you can do the math.......

They were 6-3 when Smith went down. They could easily have had a winning record this year.

It could happen.

Owner dude is conservative but the asses Kaepernick would put in the seats in DC would make the owner's wallet smile at the very least. Aside from ticket sales, I think he'd be a good addition to the team talent-wise.

Owner dude is conservative but the asses Kaepernick would put in the seats in DC would make the owner's wallet smile at the very least. Aside from ticket sales, I think he'd be a good addition to the team talent-wise.

It would be interesting.

It would be interesting.

Kaepernick at this point would be a huge boon for the NFL IMO. He'd sell seats for his fans and the boo-birds alike where-ever he were to go.

Last year, I questioned the Redskins Tight Ends blocking performance because of too many 2 yard gains on runs, and too many huried throws by the QB. Tight ends should be blocking for the 4 yard gains for run plays, and holding pass rushers for a few more seconds to give the QB time to check-down the list or receivers.

"Washington hired Bryan Angelichio as its new tight ends coach Friday night, the team announced. That means Wes Phillips is out.

Phillips, the son of Rams defensive coordinator Wade Phillips, joined the team’s coaching staff in 2014. His contract expired, according to NBC Sports Washington.

Wade Phillips promoted his son for future head coaching jobs last week, joking “Wes is a young offensive coach who knows Sean McVay.”

Angelichio has coached in the NFL for seven years, including the past three as the Packers’ tight ends coach."

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...res-bryan-angelichio-to-replace-wes-phillips/

//

Last edited:
"The Washington Redskins named Nate Kaczor as special teams coach to replace Ben Kotwica, who took the same position with the Atlanta Falcons. The Redskins also lost longtime inside linebackers coach Kirk Olivadotti, according to a person with knowledge of the team’s plans, who will now coach linebackers for the Green Bay Packers. Washington will begin interviewing replacements next week.

Kaczor held the same title with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers during the past three seasons, and the 2019 season will be his 12th as an NFL assistant coach. He also had stints with the Tennessee Titans and Jacksonville Jaguars.

The Redskins' unit ranked eighth last season, per Football Outsiders' special teams rating, a statistic used to rank teams by the number of points received from the five special teams phases. The Bucs were 29th of 32 teams."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/01/19/redskins-hire-nate-kaczor-special-teams-coach/

I thought Ben Kotwica, Redskins special teams coach for 5 years, did a good job in 2018. Redskins might have been asleep at the wheel to let Kotwica get away.

"The Washington Redskins have a new defensive backs coach.

Just three days after Torrian Gray left Washington to take over as the defensive backs coach at the University of Florida, the Redskins announced that they had hired Ray Horton to replace him.

Horton has 23 years of coaching experience and actually began his coaching career with the Redskins, working as an assistant defensive backs coach from 1994-96. He then worked for the Cincinnati Bengals, Detroit Lions and Pittsburgh Steelers as a defensive backs coach before making the jump to defensive coordinator in 2011 with the Arizona Cardinals. When Ken Whisenhunt was fired in 2013, Horton was reportedly in consideration for a promotion to head coach, but was passed over for Bruce Arians. Horton then left Arizona to serve as the defensive coordinator for the Cleveland Browns. After just one season, he left to coach in the same capacity for the Tennessee Titans. Two seasons later, Hue Jackson lured him back to Cleveland, where he worked as the Browns defensive coordinator for one more season before being fired."
"Gray actually is returning for the same position he held with the Gators in 2016. He served as the Redskins secondary coach for the past two years. According to ESPN's John Keim, the Redskins wanted to upgrade to someone who could provide more help in the pass game for defensive coordinator Greg Manusky — someone who could serve as a passing game coordinator if you would. The Redskins let former linebackers coach Kirk Olivadotti take a similar job with the Green Bay Packers."

https://247sports.com/nfl/washingto...e-Ray-Horton-defensive-backs-coach-128267038/

//

Jonathan Bachman/Getty Images
14hJohn Keim
[h=1]Redskins wouldn't have many options in free-agent QB market[/h]The Redskins can't afford an upper-tier signal-caller, yet need a potential starting quarterback if Alex Smith isn't able to play.

Of the names mentioned I like Bridgewater the best if he has recovered. Do you know if the team would get cap relief if Smith retires? Kap would be a mistake. Not sure his head is into the work a QB needs to put in. Putting fans in the seats is meaningless to the owner who is rich. Aren't they sold out anyway?

Of the names mentioned I like Bridgewater the best if he has recovered. Do you know if the team would get cap relief if Smith retires? Kap would be a mistake. Not sure his head is into the work a QB needs to put in. Putting fans in the seats is meaningless to the owner who is rich. Aren't they sold out anyway?

No cap relief. The contract is guaranteed.

Redskins looking for a Quarterbacks coach. Will they pick a less expensive newcomer? What are the qualities of a good QB Coach? Like who?

"The Washington Redskins have promoted Kevin O’Connell to offensive coordinator after he previously served as passing game coordinator and quarterbacks coach.

The team announced O’Connell’s promotion Tuesday along with other changes to Jay Gruden’s coaching staff. Matt Cavanaugh, who had been offensive coordinator the past two seasons, is now the Redskins’ senior offensive assistant.

The 33-year-old O’Connell previously was an assistant in San Francisco and Cleveland and was considered a strong candidate to land an offensive coordinator job elsewhere in the NFL before Washington gave him that title."

https://wtop.com/washington-redskin...mote-kevin-oconnell-to-offensive-coordinator/

//

Last edited:
Redskins announce that Alex smith will miss the 2019 season.

"Redskins President Bruce Allen on Thursday denied a recent NFL Network report that the team is prepared for quarterback Alex Smith to miss all of 2019, calling it “nonsense.”

Speaking to WTEM-AM (the Team 980) from the Super Bowl, Allen said Smith “is improving,” but did not give a timeline for when Smith would return from the compound fracture of his leg suffered last season and the ensuring series of surgeries to stop infections in the leg.

“He really is a day-to-day guy,” Allen said, explaining that Smith is not looking too far ahead in his recovery."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...will-miss-next-season/?utm_term=.8eb3b4cbe13b

Can we Believe Bruce Allen?

//

"Redskins President Bruce Allen on Thursday denied a recent NFL Network report that the team is prepared for quarterback Alex Smith to miss all of 2019, calling it “nonsense.”

Speaking to WTEM-AM (the Team 980) from the Super Bowl, Allen said Smith “is improving,” but did not give a timeline for when Smith would return from the compound fracture of his leg suffered last season and the ensuring series of surgeries to stop infections in the leg.

“He really is a day-to-day guy,” Allen said, explaining that Smith is not looking too far ahead in his recovery."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...will-miss-next-season/?utm_term=.8eb3b4cbe13b

Can we Believe Bruce Allen?

//

I will be surprised if Smith plays in 2019.

Back
Top Bottom