• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Red wine, white wine, rosé - or other?

What do you like?

• white wine

• red wine

• rosé

• Weißherbst = rosé made from a single grape variety and of high quality

• Blanc de Noir = wine from a red grape variety that looks like white wine

• still another variety - if there is one

Results are only viewable after voting.
Well - to make matters more complicated and confusing ....
.... there is another theory.
According to this theory, "Herbst" in this case has nothing to do with either harvest ot autumn, but with "Arbst" - an old and half forgotten grape variety.
But I do not see any logic in this. For Weißherbst may be made from any red grape, not just from Arbst.

I thought Weißherbst was only made from one specific red grape, though?
No - it has nothing to to with Eiswein.

Weißherbst is a special kind of Rosé.
A red wine that has been produced like a white wine.
And the difference to the usual Rosé: A Weißherbst must be of higher quality und from one grape variety only.

that's why I thought it might have been an Eiswein... "White Autumn" to me connotes an early frost that freezes grapes on the vine.
A good guess - but it just isn't that way. :)

What i meant is:
It can be made from any red grape - but not from a mixture of those red grapes.

Well - to make matters more complicated and confusing ....
.... there is another theory.
According to this theory, "Herbst" in this case has nothing to do with either harvest ot autumn, but with "Arbst" - an old and half forgotten grape variety.
But I do not see any logic in this. For Weißherbst may be made from any red grape, not just from Arbst.

Also... Arbst is a variety of Pinot, and it has it's own White and Blue varieties - Weißer Arbst and Blauer Arbst.

Last edited:
When I go to have lunch at a nearby restaurant, I always enjoy a Weißherbst there.

Weißherbst = rosé made from a single grape variety and of high quality​

When I go to have lunch at a nearby restaurant, I always enjoy a Weißherbst there.

Weißherbst = rosé made from a single grape variety and of high quality​

What do you eat with that wine?

What do you eat with that wine?
Whatever is on the menu :)
Weißherbst goes with nearly everything - and can also be enjoyed on its own. (y)

@ Rosé and Weißherbst and Schiller

In terms of name the decision to use the Francophone word ‘rosé’ has been taken deliberately, albeit reluctantly, the potential alternatives such a Weißherbst or Schiller not really working on an international market. A shame, but perfectly understandable.

The terms Rosé and Weißherbst and Schiller are not completely identical.

Rosé is the general term. Weißherbst and Schiller are special forms of Rosé.
Here in Germany we also use the word Rosé, of course.

@ Schillerwein

In Germany, for example, there is a wine called ‘Schillerwein” that is produced by blending red and white grapes before fermentation. You can only find “Schillerwein” in the region of Württemberg in the south of Germany. Ideally, the red and white grapes are planted in mixed lots in the vineyards and are harvested and treated together.

The name of the wine has nothing to do with the famous German poet Friedrich von Schiller (although he is from Württemberg). The wine got its name from the verb “schillern”. The verb “schillern” means “to scintillate”. “Schillerwein” is thus a wine with a scintillating color, reflecting the fact that the wine is a blend of red and white grapes.

I had this Ontario wine in a restaurant this week. It was very good.

20210922_175159.jpg

seven
out of eleven

say:

red wine​

Hi Juks!
You are welcome!
Yes, that is a Weißherbst as it should be!
A cool Weißherbst mixed with mineral water = Weißherbst-Schorle is the ideal drink on hot summer days. :)

Now it is summer again, am into Rosé! :)

• Total voters 11
So far:

4 x white
2 x rosé
7 x red

• Weißherbst = rosé made from a single grape variety and of high quality​

Weißherbst deserves to be better known. :)

These days I enjoy:

• rosé​

• and especially this kind of a rosé:
  • Weißherbst = rosé made from a single grape variety and of high quality​

Tonight I have enjoyed a Weißherbst again.
More later.

In short:
Every Weißherbst is also a Rosé.
But not every Rosé is a Weißherbst.

Again:

Rosé and Weißherbst

Roséwein – Produced from red varieties with a shorter maceration, the wine must have pale red or clear red color

Weißherbst – A rosé wine which must conform to special rules: must be Qualitätswein or Prädikatswein, single variety and be labelled with the varietal name. There are no restrictions as to the color of the wine, so they range from pale gold to deep pink. Weißherbst wines also range from dry to sweet, such as rosé Eiswein from Spätburgunder.

There I have created a special thread about Weißherbst now: :)

Back
Top Bottom