• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Red-hot planet: All-time heat records have been set all over the world during the past week

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Red-hot planet: All-time heat records have been set all over the world during the past week

From the normally mild summer climes of Ireland, Scotland and Canada to the scorching Middle East, numerous locations in the Northern Hemisphere have witnessed their hottest weather ever recorded over the past week.

Large areas of heat pressure or heat domes scattered around the hemisphere led to the sweltering temperatures. The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation reports the heat is to blame for at least 34 deaths in southern Quebec, mostly in and near Montreal, which endured record high temperatures.

In Northern Siberia, along the coast of the Arctic Ocean – where weather observations are scarce – model analyses showed temperatures soaring 40 degrees above normal on July 5, to over 90 degrees. “It is absolutely incredible and really one of the most intense heat events I’ve ever seen for so far north,” wrote meteorologist Nick Humphrey, who offers more detail on this extraordinary high-latitude hot spell on his blog.

Source

As we march towards ever increasing global temperatures, we have in charge of one of the largest contributors of emissions a leader, and group of leaders, who are actively working to increase our global emissions.

From the normally mild summer climes of Ireland, Scotland and Canada to the scorching Middle East, numerous locations in the Northern Hemisphere have witnessed their hottest weather ever recorded over the past week.

Large areas of heat pressure or heat domes scattered around the hemisphere led to the sweltering temperatures. The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation reports the heat is to blame for at least 34 deaths in southern Quebec, mostly in and near Montreal, which endured record high temperatures.

In Northern Siberia, along the coast of the Arctic Ocean – where weather observations are scarce – model analyses showed temperatures soaring 40 degrees above normal on July 5, to over 90 degrees. “It is absolutely incredible and really one of the most intense heat events I’ve ever seen for so far north,” wrote meteorologist Nick Humphrey, who offers more detail on this extraordinary high-latitude hot spell on his blog.

Source

As we march towards ever increasing global temperatures, we have in charge of one of the largest contributors of emissions a leader, and group of leaders, who are actively working to increase our global emissions.
Could you explain the bolded sentence to me please.

If this were an isolated weather event, it would just be a tough break. But it would require willful ignorance to call this isolated.

It's been too hot, too hot baby.

So hot in fact, that it has me questioning whether I prefer winter or summer.

we are living in a wonderful era in time to raise a very large family; maybe 10, 15 kids per household.
Just think, there is plenty of clean air to breathe, plenty of clean water to drink, there is plentiful food for everyone on the planet, fossil fuels abound, the weather is great, the world is at peace, we love our leaders, the economy is BOOMING, there are no problems in the world, and everything is great.

Nothing wrong with a little heat ........

But think of the increased profits our fossil-fuel industries and their CEO's will rake in! And then the larger campaign donations to the GOP! This is winning!

s/

I dont see it.

ctrl+f with, "siberia"

Really? Who's doing that? How?

Source

weather is not climate remember?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/weather/classic-arctic-outbreak-winter-storm-puts-millions-ice-n246706
https://www.verisk.com/insurance/vi...r-vortex-is-the-globe-spinning-the-wrong-way/

hmmm interesting the globe is freezing.

Temperatures are abnormally high.

Yes, but I thought weather =/= climate. BUt the point of my question, was that in a place "where weather observations are scarce" and temperatures are measured by climate models, how can we draw much in the way of conclusions from that? I suspect that it is unusual for Siberia to get that hot, but how unusual is it? What if happened in (say) 1818, before we humans supposedly messed things up. Wouldnt that make the link between this event and global warming less substantive?

Yes, but I thought weather =/= climate.
You're correct. As such, this is an illustration of the consequences of climate change.

If you want a more comprehensive view, or data that serves better as proof of climate change, the better guide is to look at the usual global temperature measures (e.g. GISTEMP or HADCRUT4), which is putting 2018 probably as the 2nd or 3rd hottest year on record. E.g. NOAA puts out a monthly "State of the Climate," and May 2018 is the latest report. Warning, it is much wonkier than the WaPo article....
https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/201805

Anyway. Considering that 6 of the hottest years were in the past decade, that's really not good, and it is not a surprise that temperature records are breaking around the world right now.

BUt the point of my question, was that in a place "where weather observations are scarce" and temperatures are measured by climate models, how can we draw much in the way of conclusions from that?
Again, it's not as much about "drawing conclusions" as it is an illustration, i.e. "this is what we are in for."

Keep in mind that the models are just the usual meteorological 10-day predictions. That type of information is not used in the global temperature records, another reason why they're better for identifying trends.

I suspect that it is unusual for Siberia to get that hot, but how unusual is it?
Highly unusual. Siberia is 40 degrees hotter than normal. It's pretty nuts. And yes, it's a consequence of climate change.

For more details:
https://wxclimonews.com/2018/07/02/...beria-and-the-coastal-arctic-ocean-this-week/

Source

It's summer. It's supposed to be hot. That's what happens during summer.

Next Apdst will inform the world that water is in fact wet
Yea, but it is not as wet or as dry as some would have us believe it, because both of those conditions are pushed by the fake news media and are the net results of the Clintons activities and in either case this wet water can not wash away the great result of the Trump economic policies, believe me.

Source

You know it snowed in Northern Idaho over the 4th of July. Just saying.

Back
Top Bottom