• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

red, blue, or something more......

J

Jufarius87

i beleive that now that my party (republican) has now gained a pretty dominant position in the political arena it is now time for all people especially those in power to look beyond the barriers of red and blue america

but the interesting thing is im not talking "purple" either as senator obama put it

whatever happened to our leaders looking at "right and wrong" before looking at "red and blue" or political correctness

i would like to one day pursue a career in politics but because i do not fit exactly into the platform of my party it will be more difficult for me

i beleive if politicians did simply what they thought was truely right in their conscience they may lose some special interest but, i think the american people would see their sincerity and follow them

Absolutely.

The parties have shifted positions several times since the begining of this excellent country. It it starting to appear that another shift is coming.

It sounds like a good idea in theory, but I don't believe it is actully possible for politicians to say or even to fully do what the believe is right. Special Interest Groups are what keep the politicians in our county going. Without the funding from these groups they would have no way of actully getting word out to the american people. And, without being able to share their opinions with the people there would be no one to see the sincerity and follow it.

On the subject of right and wrong, I don't believe there is a RIGHT or WRONG in politics because what one party may see as right, will always be seen by the other as wrong, it's will always come down to differing opinions.)

As for talk of a shift in positions, I fully agree, a shift is definetly coming...or more correctly, happening. Our two parties drift farther and farther from the center of the political spectrum with each new election.

Last edited:
Jufarius87 said:
whatever happened to our leaders looking at "right and wrong" before looking at "red and blue" or political correctness
As AmongstTheFallen has pointed out, this is the crux of the problems. Our leaders can look at what's right and wrong all they want, but they end up using their opinions, beliefs, et al as a basis for how they want to apply the law to everyone else. Is it right or wrong to allow women to have abortions should they choose to? Is it right or wrong to remove personal responsibility when it comes to retirement and raise social security to a living amount that's going to be supported by the masses? Is it right or wrong to invade another country? Etc etc.... There are so many opinions to take into consideration and on top of that, how these opinions follow the truth of the founding fathers (or if we should even follow them.)

Moreover, there are politicians that, although they belong to a certain party, don't necessarily tow the party line. Jim Jeffords (who defected), John McCain, or Zell Miller have voted with opposite party platforms.

I live in the state of Minnesota, for a couple years we broke the two party system when we elected Jesse Ventura as our governor. The possibility for third party candidates or an emerging third party could be encouraging (especially as I see the democrat's party going down like a flan in a cupboard).

I personally don't know any democrat or republican that agrees with a party line 100% either. I've got a hardcore democrat friend who's pro-gun and anti-firearm regulation, I've got another friend who's a complete flag-waving republican but hates how much Bush has been spending. I wouldn't worry too much about not completely agreeing with a party line, just stay true to yourself and to your electorate as well.

I agree 100% with Jufarius, the only thing is that politicians will never do this. Most of them are power hungry ignorant people whose only hope is to gain more power. If they went against their parties values or common vote, where would that leave them?

To Juf 87 & ATF Liberal as well as all other in this age group !!!!!!!!!!!!.[/B]]All I'd like to say is thank you you guys make me feel a great sesne of pride for people your age to be as involed as you are it's totally AWESOME.

I recall being your age and fighting the system and all I can say I is keep it up !! . I may or not agree with what you have to say but just to know you are saying it really makes me feel great to be an AMERICAN .

I get into fights with my own family NOT just because they agree with me or not.

But they are affaid to say anything and that scare's the HELL out of me what good does it do if you will only talk to those who agree with you .
You just as well be talking to the wall !! .

I come from a family of 15 brothers & sisters a couple of my brothers graduated at Harvard & MIT a few of my sister went to collage .
I was in special edcaution must of may life and they are affaid to debate me
how ironic is that .!!!

So please keep up the good fight and the answer to your question is you can make a change it won't be easy believe me BUT YOU CAN DO IT !!!.

Last edited:
liberal1 said:
I agree 100% with Jufarius, the only thing is that politicians will never do this. Most of them are power hungry ignorant people whose only hope is to gain more power. If they went against their parties values or common vote, where would that leave them?

I don't know if this is true. It maybe. But I hope you're wrong. I think there are those who get into politics for reasons other than to obtain power. And I believe there are those who can continue within the system without becoming completely "drunk" with power. At least I hope so.

I think your comment regarding going against the party line may be right on target. And as fewer and fewer companies own more and more media outlets it seems to become harder for those that do to survive any attempt to go AWOL.

Back
Top Bottom