• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Red and Yellow Kill a FELLOW!! Caught me a danger snake

Renae

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
SO my dogs were out doing their business, when I spied something moving along. SNAKE!!!

I caught the snake, put it in a pot with a glass lid. Here is the little bastard.

20160621_145946.jpg20160621_145947.jpg20160621_145957.jpg

Get it to an expert that can rehome it away from people. The snake is doing nothing wrong by existing.

Get it to an expert that can rehome it away from people. The snake is doing nothing wrong by existing.

If she was planning on killing the snake she would have taken a shovel to it rather than catch it in a pot I would think.

Know a guy that works with antivenom researchers at the SouthWest Research Center. He get's first dibs on venomous snakes I catch.

Know a guy that works with antivenom researchers at the SouthWest Research Center. He get's first dibs on venomous snakes I catch.

Many years ago, I used to be on the "hot team" of the local reptile group, we got called out a lot to take rattlesnakes and other venomous or dangerous reptiles out of people's yards. We'd catch them, take them in to have them milked and then release them up in the hills where they wouldn't bother anyone.

Lampropeltis_triangulum350.jpg

Milk snake

15yi5vd.jpg

TX coral snake

Lampropeltis_triangulum350.jpg

Milk snake

15yi5vd.jpg

TX coral snake

Yep, milk snakes are very close looking. However, what I have is a Coral snake. We're having it released out away from developed land today.

Yep, milk snakes are very close looking. However, what I have is a Coral snake. We're having it released out away from developed land today.

Lived in Texas most of my life and have only seen one. A friend caught him near Austin.

Lived in Texas most of my life and have only seen one. A friend caught him near Austin.

They seem to love this area. But with all the recent, and quite unwelcome urban development lots of critters are moving. There are 3 housing developments and one of the largest north american server farms going in with 1 mile of my apartment. 2 years ago we had a 20 min drive on average to get to a gas station.

"Black and red, you're okay Fred."

I used to own a Milk Snake as a pet.
Lived almost 18 years.

Humans are the Apex Predator and should kill everything that challenges them. Death to snakes.

Humans are the Apex Predator and should kill everything that challenges them. Death to snakes.

Is this a challenge?

They seem to love this area. But with all the recent, and quite unwelcome urban development lots of critters are moving. There are 3 housing developments and one of the largest north american server farms going in with 1 mile of my apartment. 2 years ago we had a 20 min drive on average to get to a gas station.

We're north of Austin...feel your pain.

All this rain is causing issues for the wildlife. i.e. gators in the Guadalupe.

SO my dogs were out doing their business, when I spied something moving along. SNAKE!!!

I caught the snake, put it in a pot with a glass lid. Here is the little bastard.

View attachment 67203081View attachment 67203082View attachment 67203083

If it's a Coral Snake, best be careful with that one.
Like all elapid snakes, coral snakes possess a pair of small hollow fangs to deliver their venom. The fangs are positioned at the front of the mouth.[SUP][3][/SUP][SUP][4][/SUP] The fangs are fixed in position rather than retractable, and rather than being directly connected to the venom duct, they have a small groove through which the venom enters the base of the fangs.[SUP][5][/SUP][SUP][6][/SUP] Because the fangs are relatively small and inefficient for venom delivery, rather than biting quickly and letting go (like vipers), coral snakes tend to hold onto their prey and make chewing motions when biting.[SUP][5][/SUP][SUP][7][/SUP] The venom takes time to take full effect.[SUP][6][/SUP]
Coral snakes are not aggressive or prone to biting and account for less than one percent of the number of snake bites each year in the United States.The life span of coral snakes in captivity is about 7 years.[SUP][8][/SUP]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coral_snake

We're north of Austin...feel your pain.

All this rain is causing issues for the wildlife. i.e. gators in the Guadalupe.

As long as you aren't in Littlebittyhill I'll leave you be. Though hear it's gotten kinda built up... But yeah between the rains and the development. bad for the critters.

If it's a Coral Snake, best be careful with that one.

Oh it was indeed a coral,a nd it was released into the wild today. Trust me, I have a healthy respect for critters with the power of death.

Oh it was indeed a coral,a nd it was released into the wild today. Trust me, I have a healthy respect for critters with the power of death.

Nicely done.

I don't totally agree with that.

I'm I'm in a snake's (or any wildlife's) habitat I will, and have, give the animal plenty of room and allow it to go on it's way.

If the animal comes in to my habitat, defined as the property I own, I'm going to kill it.

I have kids and dogs and I value my life enough not to play any kind of games with dangerous animals.

That snake would have taken a spade to the neck and that'd been the end of it.

Back
Top Bottom