• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Recording Telephone Conversations

MaggieD

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Should people be allowed to record a telephone conversation if they are a party to that conversation without informing anyone else involved that it's being recorded? Every state has different restrictions...twelve of them require consent of all people involved in the conversation.

I believe I should be able to record any telephone conversation I'm a party to with no restriction. Why should the government restrict me from doing so? What "right" of the OTHER parties is being violated by my actions? We are not guaranted the right to privacy by the Constitution. In today's world, what person on a phone line would even HAVE an expectation of privacy?

Want to know what your state says? Here's the link to a state-by-state: "Can We Tape?"

Edit: I'm sorry....I'm new and my "poll" didn't take. I was looking for a Yes/No answer. Discussion perhaps? I apologize. Orrr... if a Moderator is onboard and so inclined, perhaps they could help? Thank you.

Last edited:
Can't imagine anything illegal about it.

I don't think it's illegal just not admissible in court.

This seems to be the latest application of recording restrictions:

Are Cameras the New Guns?

At any rate, I don't see the logic of forcing someone to get the consent of all involved before a recording device is put in play. Don't get me wrong, I'm not wild about the idea of someone taping me as I walk down the street, or of someone making an audio recording of a conversation I have with them. All the same, if I'm in a public place or if they're a party to the conversation I don't see where I've got much in the way of ammunition for a moral objection.

Back
Top Bottom