• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Record month again March 2016

Threegoofs

Sophisticated man-about-town
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
The city Fox News viewers are afraid to travel to
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
This makes the sixth month in a row of the hottest month ever.

467fe136192e3509cf891a1e1ba1c272.jpg

Once again, this is exactly what was predicted by models going back to the 1980s- record heat, caused by greenhouse gasses.

Once again, this is exactly what was predicted by models going back to the 1980s- record heat, caused by greenhouse gasses.
Record high temperatures for up to a year is exactly what happens during the weather event known as an El Nino.
And no, they did not predict the current El Nino in any model.

Actually it's not what was predicted by the models, every model had the temperature rising much higher given the levels of CO2.

trend

List of excuses for ‘the pause’ in global warming is now up to 52

Updated list of 52 excuses for the 18-26 year ‘pause’ in global warming (compiled by WUWT and The HockeySchtick)

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/09...-the-pause-in-global-warming-is-now-up-to-52/

15) We forgot to cherry-pick models in tune with natural variability
32) IPCC climate models are too complex, natural variability more important
35) Scientists forgot “to look at our models and observations and ask questions”

But this one is special ...

51) If our models could time-travel back in time, “we could have forecast ‘the pause’ – if we had the tools of the future back then” [NCAR press release]
"September 8, 2014 | If today’s tools for multiyear climate forecasting had been available in the 1990s, they would have revealed that a slowdown in global warming was likely on the way, according to new research." - Progress on decadal climate prediction | UCAR - University Corporation for Atmospheric Research

"Deep-sea warming slows down global warming"

Global warming seems to have paused over the past 15 years while the deep ocean takes the heat instead. The thermal capacity of the oceans far exceeds that of the atmosphere, so the oceans can store up to 90% of the heat buildup caused by increased concentrations of greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide. Chen and Tung used observational data to trace the pathways of recent ocean heating. They conclude that the deep Atlantic and Southern Oceans, but not the Pacific, have absorbed the excess heat that would otherwise have fueled continued warming.

Varying planetary heat sink led to global-warming slowdown and acceleration | Science

trend

Updated list of 52 excuses for the 18-26 year ‘pause’ in global warming (compiled by WUWT and The HockeySchtick)

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/09...-the-pause-in-global-warming-is-now-up-to-52/

35) Scientists forgot “to look at our models and observations and ask questions”

51) If our models could time-travel back in time, “we could have forecast ‘the pause’ – if we had the tools of the future back then” [NCAR press release]
"September 8, 2014 | If today’s tools for multiyear climate forecasting had been available in the 1990s, they would have revealed that a slowdown in global warming was likely on the way, according to new research." - Progress on decadal climate prediction | UCAR - University Corporation for Atmospheric Research

Good morning, bubba. :2wave:

Lots of "ifs" popping up - too bad they don't carry much weight so far, except they do allow some wiggle room when one is challenged on current reality versus prior doomsday predictions on what was publically announced as likely to occur - and hasn't! :thumbdown:

trend

If you look at the more reliable surface temp record, or better yet, the land-ocean temperatures, you can see that a pause really doesnt exist, and as chaotic systems will behave, the trend is clearer and clearer as you look at longer term data.

This graph of GISS data was presented by Stephen Ramsdorf - an actual, you know, scientist (rather than your denier blog site). I see no pause, do you?

CgGflfIWIAE-dE8.jpg

But thats a science thing - you wouldnt understand.

Edit: Oh, wait, I do see your 'pause' starting in the cherry picked year of 1998. Let me show you a graph of it.

Escalator500.gif

Good morning, bubba. :2wave:

Lots of "ifs" popping up - too bad they don't carry much weight so far, except they do allow some wiggle room when one is challenged on current reality versus prior doomsday predictions on what was publically announced as likely to occur - and hasn't! :thumbdown:

No 'ifs' at all with actual scientists reporting the facts, rather than denier weathermen.

I see you're list of 'universities that have predicted cooling' in the future isnt really panning out, huh?

Sorry to dog you about that... but I really think backing up claims is kinda important on a debate site, especially one having to do with objective scientific subjects.

If you look at the more reliable surface temp record, or better yet, the land-ocean temperatures, you can see that a pause really doesnt exist, and as chaotic systems will behave, the trend is clearer and clearer as you look at longer term data.

This graph of GISS data was presented by Stephen Ramsdorf - an actual, you know, scientist (rather than your denier blog site). I see no pause, do you?

Edit: Oh, wait, I do see your 'pause' starting in the cherry picked year of 1998. Let me show you a graph of it.
And you have not addressed that the warming for the past 6 months are part of a recognized El Nino weather event.

And you have not addressed that the warming for the past 6 months are part of a recognized El Nino weather event.

Well, lets see.

This is record temperature ON TOP OF record temperatures that are already happening and have been building for decades. So theres that.

How much does El Nino contribute? Apparently, scientists who study this for a living say it contributes about 0.1 degree to the anomaly, when looking back at past records. The anomaly over the average right now is 1.4 degrees. In other words, even without the current El Nino, we would still be breaking records, which isnt surprising, since global temps have been rising for thirty years plus.

I'm sure you will have unqualified deniers say differently, though (or maybe you'll just calculate it yourself) so there's that.

Well, lets see.

This is record temperature ON TOP OF record temperatures that are already happening and have been building for decades. So theres that.

How much does El Nino contribute? Apparently, scientists who study this for a living say it contributes about 0.1 degree to the anomaly, when looking back at past records. The anomaly over the average right now is 1.4 degrees. In other words, even without the current El Nino, we would still be breaking records, which isnt surprising, since global temps have been rising for thirty years plus.

I'm sure you will have unqualified deniers say differently, though (or maybe you'll just calculate it yourself) so there's that.

Here's some of those unqualified deniers who say something different:

Current El Niño ties 1997-1998 as strongest on record, says NOAA - AOL

Here's some of those unqualified deniers who say something different:

Current El Niño ties 1997-1998 as strongest on record, says NOAA - AOL

I don't see where they look at the contribution of this El Niño in terms of total anomaly.

I'm guessing you just think the fact that an El Niño exists means something, but that's not the point.

But thanks for illustrating my point on how unqualified deniers will say something different while not understanding the issue whatsoever. Appreciate it.

I don't see where they look at the contribution of this El Niño in terms of total anomaly.

I'm guessing you just think the fact that an El Niño exists means something, but that's not the point.

But thanks for illustrating my point on how unqualified deniers will say something different while not understanding the issue whatsoever. Appreciate it.

I agree. You don't see and you are guessing. Thanks for your intelligent, scientific input.

LOL.

I guess that's one way to respond when you're out of your depth...

More guessing. You simply parrot what you've been told, and when something falls outside that area, you resort to guessing and insult. You freely admit you don't read a single contrary view. Your point and your only point is always that the planet is continuously getting warmer. Paint a little sign stating that, put it on your forehead, and consider your contribution to science complete.

CgGflfIWIAE-dE8.jpg

Escalator500.gif

And before 1880? There was nothing as warm as today? Think ... Think.
You'll believe anything they tell you, speaking of not backing up claims.

BTW, did you see the latest ClimateGate email?

More guessing. You simply parrot what you've been told, and when something falls outside that area, you resort to guessing and insult. You freely admit you don't read a single contrary view. Your point and your only point is always that the planet is continuously getting warmer. Paint a little sign stating that, put it on your forehead, and consider your contribution to science complete.

Feel free to point out the quote.

Well, lets see.

I am sure you think the Guardian is real science, but what does the data tell us?
http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/tabledata_v3/GLB.Ts+dSST.txt
The 1998 El Nino peaked in Feb 1998, the change from Feb 1997 was from .37 to .88, or a delta of .51 C, is the GISS record lying?
Maybe that was just a large El Nino, and all the others are .1 C as you claim.
2010 peaked in march of 2010 .39 C above march 2009.
Perhaps all that CO2 is messing with the numbers, or not the 1958 El Nino, peaked in January of 1958,
the increase from January of 1957, was -.13 to .37, an increase of .5 C.
So your .1 C change for an El Nino does not stand up to the data.
An an El Nino is still a weather event.
You do both yourself and your AGW religion a disservice, when you continue to point to weather events as proof of AGW.

Here is one of the El Nino reference pages,
El Niño and La Niña Years and Intensities
The are taking 3 month averages of much greater than your .1 C number, even for the weak El Nino.
The may also be another way to identify the El Ninos.
The warming attributed to CO2, appears to be a mostly northern hemisphere event, whereas the El Nino's seems to show up
in both northern and southern hemispheres.

I am sure you think the Guardian is real science, but what does the data tell us?
http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/tabledata_v3/GLB.Ts+dSST.txt
The 1998 El Nino peaked in Feb 1998, the change from Feb 1997 was from .37 to .88, or a delta of .51 C, is the GISS record lying?
Maybe that was just a large El Nino, and all the others are .1 C as you claim.
2010 peaked in march of 2010 .39 C above march 2009.
Perhaps all that CO2 is messing with the numbers, or not the 1958 El Nino, peaked in January of 1958,
the increase from January of 1957, was -.13 to .37, an increase of .5 C.
So your .1 C change for an El Nino does not stand up to the data.
An an El Nino is still a weather event.
You do both yourself and your AGW religion a disservice, when you continue to point to weather events as proof of AGW.

Like I said, you can read what the experts say about it, or do your own calculations and pretend somehow all the guys who actually did the work to teach you about El Niño and climate phenomena are wrong.

It's like a pathologist tells you you have cancer and you argue that the physics of the MRI machine are incorrect so it must not be malignant.

Like I said, you can read what the experts say about it, or do your own calculations and pretend somehow all the guys who actually did the work to teach you about El Niño and climate phenomena are wrong.

It's like a pathologist tells you you have cancer and you argue that the physics of the MRI machine are incorrect so it must not be malignant.
And the experts say the El Nino's show between an .5 C and a 2.0 C change over the background
El Niño and La Niña Years and Intensities

No human alive has lived through a globally hotter March than the last one. We're record-breakers.

Sooooo....what do you plan to do about it other than whine? Earth to Threegoofs: if global warming is happening, there is no way to stop it. So you might as well enjoy the improvement in the climate. It is far better that we are warming than cooling. But I know you and all your other fringe leftist, global warming alarmists already know this. You just use this issue as another means to grow the power of the state. I use it as a reason to relax on my back porch. In fact, I have my car running right now. Just for the hell of it.

Back
Top Bottom