• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Recommended Constitutional Amendments

Smeagol

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
If you could suggest constitutional amendments what would you recommend. Society has changed since the late 1700s there are things that the founding fathers would have included if they were writing it today.

- Something addressing immigration and naturalization.
- Clarification on the rights of US citizens under US law when overseas (Snowden)
- Clarification on the rights of US citizens under US law when in international waters or airspace (Snowden)
- A right to privacy applicable to invasions of privacy by government, individuals and corporations.
- A right to majority ownership of patents by the actual inventor as opposed to their employer.
- All Americans including government official shall live under that same laws with no exemptions. Congress shall pass no law requiring the people to comply with that members of congress nor any other citizen shall not also be required to comply with under an expanded definition of equal protection under the law.
- Clarification on the First Amendment that clearly forbids government from restricting citizens from expressing their faith including in the public square.
- Direct vote for President with a runoff in case no candidate receives 50% plus 1 vote.
- Prohibiting corporations and unions from being defined as people for the purposes of elections under a one man, one vote of just US citizens argument.
- Clarification on the right to a passport and freedom of travel.
- No income, estate or property taxation; just consumption taxation and taxes on imports.
- Renouncing US citizenship means you forfeit 75% of your assets.

If you could suggest constitutional amendments what would you recommend. Society has changed since the late 1700s there are things that the founding fathers would have included if they were writing it today.

..... Not a natural right
- Clarification on the rights of US citizens under US law when overseas (Snowden)
..... Does not need constitutional amendment
- Clarification on the rights of US citizens under US law when in international waters or airspace (Snowden)
- A right to privacy applicable to invasions of privacy by government, individuals and corporations.
..... Already exists, you just have to demand it be followed and not narrowed or infringed.
- A right to majority ownership of patents by the actual inventor as opposed to their employer.
....This is a property issue, not a rights issue.
- All Americans including government official shall live under that same laws with no exemptions. Congress shall pass no law requiring the people to comply with that members of congress nor any other citizen shall not also be required to comply with under an expanded definition of equal protection under the law.
You'd have to convince me that this does not already exist in law. If so, then better enforcement is the answer, not an amendment.
- Clarification on the First Amendment that clearly forbids government from restricting citizens from expressing their faith including in the public square.
- Direct vote for President with a runoff in case no candidate receives 50% plus 1 vote.
I disagree. We should have a "none of the above" option which would require a completely new field of candidates. The problem isn't really the voting process so much as who picks whom to run.
- Prohibiting corporations and unions from being defined as people for the purposes of elections under a one man, one vote of just US citizens argument.
....one voice. AGREED!
Travel is to some extent a natural right, in places not territories of a country. You are only free to travel if other countries allow you in.
- No income, estate or property taxation; just consumption taxation and taxes on imports.
Good luck, if you find a was to pull that one off, I'm in.
What the hell do my assets have to do with your country? This would fall to cruel and unusual punishment and runs counter to freedom to travel. Neither I nor anything I own is or ever was property of the gov't... or you. Piss off!!!!!

Societies have not changed, because the nature of man has not changed in 7000 years or more. Technology has changed, but the reasons for misusing it remain the same.

1. Already covered. Born in this country or to Americans traveling abroad, you're a citizen. And congress has the power to regulate immigration. If you want specific rules, lobby congress or get elected yourself.
2. Already covered. We don't have jurisdiction over our citizens outside the country. But we do have extradition treaties and the like. What sort of changes would you make?
3. See 2.
4. The first exists, though we all know that the fourth amendment has been gutted. The other two, while I like, are much more difficult to enforce. It would most likely manifest as a civil action between the two parties. The same is true, for example, of free speech.
5. That's just fine. Require strict scrutiny to allow congress to apportion anything to themselves. Of course, enforcement of that would be tricky, since how can a person really have standing to bring a case merely because congress gifted itself with something that this person didn't get? One must always consider enforcement mechanisms.
6. "Expressing your faith" usually means forcing it on other people. You're quite welcome to stand on the street corner and proclaim your faith whenever you like. But keep it out of the schools.
7. Hell yes.
8. Agreed. Only people are people.
9. Expound.
10. How about no, not a system based on regressive taxes and bankrupting the country?
11. Almost no one ever does this, but in the context of the rich pricks who plunder money from this country and then leave, yes.

Most of these are just clarification the amendments we have in the Constitution.

-No government agency shall spy on US citizens without a warrant based on probable cause.Nor shall the government agencies or privately owned companies collect any information on citizens. No Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the places the individuals will be spied on. Privately owned companies are banned from spying and collecting data on citizens.

-all income taxes are eliminated, it will be replaced with consumption taxes.

- Amnesty,legal status,earned citizenship,dream act or any other form of amnesty will never be granted to those who are in the country illegally.

- Elected and appointed officials aiding or trying to aid(trying to enact amnesty,forbidding local law enforcement from aiding immigration authorities and etc. ) illegals will be removed from office,thrown in prison for a year and permanently banned from serving in elected or appointed office.

- Natural born citizenship will only be granted only those born on US soil and has at least one biological parent that is already a US citizen.US soil includes US military bases and embassies.

- Dual citizenship is banned. You are either a citizen of the USA or you are not.

- Entry into our country will be denied to those from countries we have the most illegal immigration problems with.

-You can leave our country without going though any check points on our side of the border.It will be the responsibility of the country you are going to verify you have documentation saying you can be in that country. But in order to come back into the country you must go through a check point in which you must prove you are a US citizen or have a legal documentation saying you can come to the US and you will be searched.

-The US government and privately owned companies will not interfere with the politics and going ons in other countries.We will not aid in any rebellions, coups or economies of other countries.

- Nothing will be classified except for troop movement during a time of war.

- Our government will not conspire with other countries against our citizens.

- Eminent domain will only be used for public roads.Private companies are banned from using eminent domain.

- All foreign aid is banned.

- Media outlets must give equal airtime,ad time, positive news stories,negative news stories to all candidates or none at all.This will prevent the media from propping up presidential candidates.

- presidential debates will include all candidates.

- There will be a open primary regardless of party affiliation in which the top two candidates will then run against each other in the main presidential race unless one of those candidates has gotten over 51% of the vote during the open primary election.

- In order to register to vote you must present a state issued ID and birth certificate(or certificate of naturalization).

- IN order to vote you must present a state issued ID.

- In order to get valid state ID you must present a birth certificate, SS card

- Two term limits for each elected and appointed office and a five year waiting period between each office for all elected an appointed offices with exception to the supreme court justices. This ensures eliminates career politics and ensures that they can't carry over any influence from their previous office. The terms for those offices will not be increased.

- Party affiliations will be banned on ballots. In its place will be a short list of that candidate's views and is applicable past votes that support or contradict those views. Voting both wall will contain a more thorough list of views and if applicable past votes and nominations that support or contradict those views. In districts with a high voter turn out a pamphlet with those things will be passed out to voters along with a online document those with mobile devices can download.

-district voting will be drawn based on population size.Race,political affiliation, ethnicity and so on shall have place in drawing out voting districts.

-Abortion will be banned unless three or more doctors have confirmed that carrying a unborn child to 50% viability and vaginal or c-section will cost the mother her life.

-No private company shall conduct any law enforcement and corrections activities. Automated machines will be banned from carrying out law enforcement and corrections duties and military activities.

-All gun laws that apply to regular civilians will also apply to government agencies regardless if its a city,state or federal level.

-Regular civilians will be allowed to buy,keep and carry what ever firearms government agencies can get their hands on.

..... immigration was a state power, nationalization federal power.

..... Already exists, you just have to demand it be followed and not narrowed or infringed.

....This is a property issue dealing with contract between the.....employer and inventor

.....You'd have to convince me that this does not already exist in law. If so, then better enforcement is the answer, not an amendment.

.....its there... "Congress shall make no law", and since the USSC rules states have to follow the bill of rights...they should not be making any law either........if i can make a law to restrict faith, then make a law to create faith.

.....no thanks, i not interested in democracy that vile form of government......i prefer mixed government of the founders.

.....restore republican government, repeal the 17th amendment, to stop lobbying of senators,, and return state powers, to stop special interest out of Washington

....Travel is a right, you are not free to travel anywhere on others property, or when not given the privilege in foreign lands.

....i am for it, however congress is not going to give up its power over the people by being able to tax them" the power to tax is the power to destroy"

......the founders would call it for what it is" stealing"

Where does the constitution say that we have a right to privacy?

Where does the constitution say that we have a right to privacy?

does it say those words...no ......however i dont know how to interpret it differently , do you?

since it say your property and papers, cannot be accessed by anyone expect if they get a warrant.

the court has stated "privacy" which came from a progressive....William Douglas

does it say those words...no ......however i dont know how to interpret it differently , do you?

since it say your property and papers, cannot be accessed by anyone expect if they get a warrant.

The 4th amendment is not about privacy it is about searches.It doesn't say anything about watching you or privacy.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized

Nice to see that you don't truly believe that crap about how it's wrong to interpret the constitution and how SCOTUS decisions are not legitimate.

The 4th amendment is not about privacy it is about searches.It doesn't say anything about watching you or privacy.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized

i didn't say it did, that how the court wants to interpret it.

under the constitution of the founders, the citizen and federal powers do not intersect at all.......except in 3 places, now 4 after the 16th amendment.....pirates ,counterfeiter, traitor, and now tax cheats.

so there was no way they could butt into your business......it is only after governments expansion, government see's fit to get into your business.

Nice to see that you don't truly believe that crap about how it's wrong to interpret the constitution and how SCOTUS decisions are not legitimate.

again you misunderstand me, i believe the constitution is a very easy read and very understandable.

its the court who have distorted the constitution.

i didn't say it did, that how the court wants to interpret it.

And that is a bull**** interpretation because now they can argue that once you step outside your door then you have no expectation of privacy.

And that is a bull**** interpretation because now they can argue that once you step outside your door then you have no expectation of privacy.

if we had stuck with the original constitution, the federal government would have no power in your life.

again you misunderstand me, i believe the constitution is a very easy read and very understandable.

its the court who have distorted the constitution.

I like your reply.
This thread is asking for proposed Amendments. My suggestion is by Amendment we define the true intent of the welfare and commerce clauses so they can no longer be misused.

How about a amendment tying tax paying to voting?

. . . . .

- All Americans including government official shall live under that same laws with no exemptions. Congress shall pass no law requiring the people to comply with that members of congress nor any other citizen shall not also be required to comply with under an expanded definition of equal protection under the law..

This one makes the most sense, yet unfortunately has the least chance of being implemented.

We do a tax to benifiets ratio if you pay more than you get you can vote if you get more than you pay you do not.[/QUOTE

What do you mean by "get" ? Is it what you earn, or get as a tax refund, or receive in entitlements or some combination of those? I apologize for being thick, I agree with the concept, but it's not yet 100% clear to me.

Most of these are just clarification the amendments we have in the Constitution.

I'll split these into a few categories.

1. Spot on

-district voting will be drawn based on population size.Race,political affiliation, ethnicity and so on shall have place in drawing out voting districts.

-No private company shall conduct any law enforcement and corrections activities. Automated machines will be banned from carrying out law enforcement and corrections duties and military activities.

2. Pretty good but likely oversimplified or overreaching

-No government agency shall spy on US citizens without a warrant based on probable cause.Nor shall the government agencies or privately owned companies collect any information on citizens. No Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the places the individuals will be spied on. Privately owned companies are banned from spying and collecting data on citizens.

- Nothing will be classified except for troop movement during a time of war.

- Our government will not conspire with other countries against our citizens.

- Party affiliations will be banned on ballots. In its place will be a short list of that candidate's views and is applicable past votes that support or contradict those views. Voting both wall will contain a more thorough list of views and if applicable past votes and nominations that support or contradict those views. In districts with a high voter turn out a pamphlet with those things will be passed out to voters along with a online document those with mobile devices can download.

3. I see what you're getting at, but this is not the right way to do it.

-You can leave our country without going though any check points on our side of the border.It will be the responsibility of the country you are going to verify you have documentation saying you can be in that country. But in order to come back into the country you must go through a check point in which you must prove you are a US citizen or have a legal documentation saying you can come to the US and you will be searched.

-The US government and privately owned companies will not interfere with the politics and going ons in other countries.We will not aid in any rebellions, coups or economies of other countries.

- Eminent domain will only be used for public roads.Private companies are banned from using eminent domain.

- Media outlets must give equal airtime,ad time, positive news stories,negative news stories to all candidates or none at all.This will prevent the media from propping up presidential candidates.

- presidential debates will include all candidates.

- There will be a open primary regardless of party affiliation in which the top two candidates will then run against each other in the main presidential race unless one of those candidates has gotten over 51% of the vote during the open primary election.

- Two term limits for each elected and appointed office and a five year waiting period between each office for all elected an appointed offices with exception to the supreme court justices. This ensures eliminates career politics and ensures that they can't carry over any influence from their previous office. The terms for those offices will not be increased.

4. Hell no

-all income taxes are eliminated, it will be replaced with consumption taxes.

- Amnesty,legal status,earned citizenship,dream act or any other form of amnesty will never be granted to those who are in the country illegally.

- Elected and appointed officials aiding or trying to aid(trying to enact amnesty,forbidding local law enforcement from aiding immigration authorities and etc. ) illegals will be removed from office,thrown in prison for a year and permanently banned from serving in elected or appointed office.

- Natural born citizenship will only be granted only those born on US soil and has at least one biological parent that is already a US citizen.US soil includes US military bases and embassies.

- Dual citizenship is banned. You are either a citizen of the USA or you are not.

- Entry into our country will be denied to those from countries we have the most illegal immigration problems with.

- All foreign aid is banned.

- In order to register to vote you must present a state issued ID and birth certificate(or certificate of naturalization).

- IN order to vote you must present a state issued ID.

- In order to get valid state ID you must present a birth certificate, SS card

-Abortion will be banned unless three or more doctors have confirmed that carrying a unborn child to 50% viability and vaginal or c-section will cost the mother her life.

-All gun laws that apply to regular civilians will also apply to government agencies regardless if its a city,state or federal level.

-Regular civilians will be allowed to buy,keep and carry what ever firearms government agencies can get their hands on.

This one caught my eye. It would destroy companies. Why would I employ engineers, scientists, and coders to work on a project I'm funding or to labor in my R&D department if they will merely usurp ownership of any product or idea they produce with my resources?

This one caught my eye. It would destroy companies. Why would I employ engineers, scientists, and coders to work on a project I'm funding or to labor in my R&D department if they will merely usurp ownership of any product or idea they produce with my resources?

Easily, the company gets 49% of the patent royalties instead of 100%. Under the current system the inventor can get as little as minimum wage for coming up with an idea that makes his company into the $multimillions. It stifles innovation if people know if they come up with a ground breaking invention, it'll make their employer millions and they'll continue to struggle to make ends meet.

Easily, the company gets 49% of the patent royalties instead of 100%. Under the current system the inventor can get as little as minimum wage for coming up with an idea that makes his company into the $multimillions. It stifles innovation if people know if they come up with a ground breaking invention, it'll make their employer millions and they'll continue to struggle to make ends meet.

Even if it worked that way it is still an enormous amount of my potential profit that you are cutting out of the equation, and when you talk about things like drug manufacturing which can consume billions in development costs it may be a barrier to entry. It would certainly make it likely that it would make sense for me to relocate many of my facilities outside the United States to protect my future revenue.

It also hamstrings my ability to market the product as co-ownership of patents tends to add many legal hurdles that require joint decision making on any action regarding the patented product, idea, or technology.

We do a tax to benifiets ratio if you pay more than you get you can vote if you get more than you pay you do not.[/QUOTE

What do you mean by "get" ? Is it what you earn, or get as a tax refund, or receive in entitlements or some combination of those? I apologize for being thick, I agree with the concept, but it's not yet 100% clear to me.
any assistance from government assistance weather it be a direct check or a write off any thing that increases your finances.

Even if it worked that way it is still an enormous amount of my potential profit that you are cutting out of the equation, and when you talk about things like drug manufacturing which can consume billions in development costs it may be a barrier to entry. It would certainly make it likely that it would make sense for me to relocate many of my facilities outside the United States to protect my future revenue.

It also hamstrings my ability to market the product as co-ownership of patents tends to add many legal hurdles that require joint decision making on any action regarding the patented product, idea, or technology.

I just threw the 51% figure out there arbitrarily; just something fair to the inventor. In my opinion getting absolutely nothing but a middle-class salary, which by the way can be terminated with 2 weeks notice, for creating multi-million dollar innovations is neither fair nor encourages more creative innovations we all could be benefiting from. 20% might be fair too, I don't know. And it can also done in a way that only allows royalty payments and not other "shareholder rights" that could create legal complications.

Back
Top Bottom