• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Recommended App List?

Redress

Liberal Fascist For Life!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Well, since I got a real tablet that can use far more apps than my kindle, what apps do people recommend, both for fun and that are useful? My tablet is android, but if peole want to mention apple apps too, that is cool to help those commy ipad users.

I don't know if these are all available for Droid but -
1. Yelp
2. Peggle
3. Pandora
4. Google Maps
5. Plants v Zombies

Well, since I got a real tablet that can use far more apps than my kindle, what apps do people recommend, both for fun and that are useful? My tablet is android, but if peole want to mention apple apps too, that is cool to help those commy ipad users.

Any particular genre of app? Such as entertainment or work related or something else? Depends on what kind of apps you want since their is no blanket opinion on the best apps since people have tablets for different things, such as from games to work. Another thing is whether they are paid or free, will that affect your decision?

Any particular genre of app? Such as entertainment or work related or something else? Depends on what kind of apps you want since their is no blanket opinion on the best apps since people have tablets for different things, such as from games to work. Another thing is whether they are paid or free, will that affect your decision?

I left it broad simple because my interests can vary so much so fast. I am more asking what apps do you use most often, which do you most enjoy, which are most helpful to you.

One app that I've long considered a basic essential is the “Tricorder” app, originally by someone calling himself “Moonblink”, but which has been taken over by a different person, Kenneth Lakin. Due to trademark issues, it isn't on the Play Store, and can be tricky to track down. I think this is the latest version, currently at Download Tricorder 5.12.3,Tricorder 5.12.3 5.12.3 Android download | 1mobile.com.

Netflix

Very cool to be sitting out on your back porch at night...75°...watching a movie.

In order as I view them on my phone. Many of them are available on both Android and iOS. All should be free or have a usable free version:

PicSpeed Wallpapers - A fantastic app for finding high quality, HD wallpapers for your background
Astrid Tasks - A simple task manager, which can be obtrusive if you want or passive if you don't.
John NES - Allows you to play old 8-bit Nintendo games you load onto your device
FBReader - The only e-book read I use. There are many pre-installed locations you can download free e-books from and it also recognizes e-books you manually put on your device
Dolphin Browser w/ Dolphin Jetpack - It's the web browser I use and I'm quite happy with it
ES File Explorer - Almost a must have. It allows you to browse through the files on your device
Angry Birds/Fruit Ninja - Because it just wouldn't be right to have a device without Angry Birds and/or Fruit Ninja
SSG 2 (Super Stick Golf 2) - Very fun game, kind of like a miniature golf style game in terms of having to hit around obstacles
Pulse - An easy way to view news from a variety of sources you choose
Shazam - If you're into music, you probably already know what this does. Basically, it can "hear" a song and tell you what it is
Snapchat - Don't understand the appeal myself, but it apparently is quite addicting. Snapchat allows you to take a picture, edit it and send it to a friend, but after a certain time (I think the max is 10 seconds), the picture is no longer available to be viewed
Speed Test - Great app for testing the speed of your Internet connection
Old Time Radio - This is an app which allows a person to listen to the old radio program broadcasts (things like Gunsmoke, Amos and Andy, Dragnet, etc.)
Netflix - Already mentioned, and probably pretty clear as to what it does
YouTube - Just like Netflix, people probably already know what this does (and usually will be installed by default on Android devices anyways)
Pandora - Streaming music app
TuneIn Radio - Allows you to listen to radio stations from all across the country
WiFi Analyzer - Allows you to view information about Wi-Fi signals at your present location (and will update as you move). This allows you the ability to see if you have any interference with your signal, or where the strongest public Wi-Fi signal may be coming from.
Zedge - An app which kind of serves as a hub for various other things (such as sound tones, backgrounds, other apps, etc.). It's a trustworthy app, which is partly what makes it so appealing considering the function it serves

Paid:

Swype - I'm only going to list one paid app, and it's only $.99. Swype is without a doubt my favorite keyboard on Android and most people I know who use Swype (or the more expensive Swiftkey) agree that after using Swype, manually typing in letters is just not an option anymore.

Simple as it is, Thumb Keyboard has made posting from my phone a lot easier. And I only post from my Galaxy Note.

The app has a variety of completely customizeable keyboards. Height, width, colors, etc. I think it cost $1.99.

I use a split with a number pad in the middle designed for 5" screens. MUCH nicer than the stock keyboards.

In order as I view them on my phone. Many of them are available on both Android and iOS. All should be free or have a usable free version:

PicSpeed Wallpapers - A fantastic app for finding high quality, HD wallpapers for your background
Astrid Tasks - A simple task manager, which can be obtrusive if you want or passive if you don't.
John NES - Allows you to play old 8-bit Nintendo games you load onto your device
FBReader - The only e-book read I use. There are many pre-installed locations you can download free e-books from and it also recognizes e-books you manually put on your device
Dolphin Browser w/ Dolphin Jetpack - It's the web browser I use and I'm quite happy with it
ES File Explorer - Almost a must have. It allows you to browse through the files on your device
Angry Birds/Fruit Ninja - Because it just wouldn't be right to have a device without Angry Birds and/or Fruit Ninja
SSG 2 (Super Stick Golf 2) - Very fun game, kind of like a miniature golf style game in terms of having to hit around obstacles
Pulse - An easy way to view news from a variety of sources you choose
Shazam - If you're into music, you probably already know what this does. Basically, it can "hear" a song and tell you what it is
Snapchat - Don't understand the appeal myself, but it apparently is quite addicting. Snapchat allows you to take a picture, edit it and send it to a friend, but after a certain time (I think the max is 10 seconds), the picture is no longer available to be viewed
Speed Test - Great app for testing the speed of your Internet connection
Old Time Radio - This is an app which allows a person to listen to the old radio program broadcasts (things like Gunsmoke, Amos and Andy, Dragnet, etc.)
Netflix - Already mentioned, and probably pretty clear as to what it does
YouTube - Just like Netflix, people probably already know what this does (and usually will be installed by default on Android devices anyways)
Pandora - Streaming music app
TuneIn Radio - Allows you to listen to radio stations from all across the country
WiFi Analyzer - Allows you to view information about Wi-Fi signals at your present location (and will update as you move). This allows you the ability to see if you have any interference with your signal, or where the strongest public Wi-Fi signal may be coming from.
Zedge - An app which kind of serves as a hub for various other things (such as sound tones, backgrounds, other apps, etc.). It's a trustworthy app, which is partly what makes it so appealing considering the function it serves

Paid:

Swype - I'm only going to list one paid app, and it's only $.99. Swype is without a doubt my favorite keyboard on Android and most people I know who use Swype (or the more expensive Swiftkey) agree that after using Swype, manually typing in letters is just not an option anymore.

I have an iphone 4s with ios7.

My friend has a Droid, and I have heard of Swype from him.

From what I can fins, Swype is not there yet for ios.

Any insight that you can give me about this app?

You nailed it about Shazam - best app on the phone!

Google Currents, I prefer that over Pulse. May already be installed. What tablet did you get?
HD Widgets
Dashclock
Swiftkey
Stickmount/Nexus Media Importer to access USB OTG
Amazon App
Dolphin Browser
Firefox Flash
Droid of the Day
Google Drive
Dropbox
Kindle
NavFree USA for GPS Navigation
Quickoffice
Sixaxis - Root and you can use PS2 Controllers for some games

Check this list out:
Applications | Android and Me

I have an iphone 4s with ios7.

My friend has a Droid, and I have heard of Swype from him.

From what I can fins, Swype is not there yet for ios.

Any insight that you can give me about this app?
I seriously doubt Swype or Swiftkey (which is very similar, just more expensive) will ever come to iPhone. Essentially what you do is you slide your finger from one letter to the next, without having to take your finger off the phone. It traces the letters you choose and smartly figures out the word you are spelling. There used to be commercials on television talking about it, showing how fast a person can text using Swype.

I seriously doubt Swype or Swiftkey (which is very similar, just more expensive) will ever come to iPhone. Essentially what you do is you slide your finger from one letter to the next, without having to take your finger off the phone. It traces the letters you choose and smartly figures out the word you are spelling. There used to be commercials on television talking about it, showing how fast a person can text using Swype.

Thanks

Most likely. Apple won't give up control. Another reason not to buy Apple.

I went to Bestbuy today and the new Nexus 7 is amazing. Actually makes me consider upgrading from my Nexus 7 1st gen. There's a massive difference between the S600 and the Tegra 3.

I do prefer swpe on my phone and Swiftkey on my tablet.

Most likely. Apple won't give up control. Another reason not to buy Apple.

I went to Bestbuy today and the new Nexus 7 is amazing. Actually makes me consider upgrading from my Nexus 7 1st gen. There's a massive difference between the S600 and the Tegra 3.

I do prefer swpe on my phone and Swiftkey on my tablet.
I have a Galaxy Note 2 phone, so I really don't need a(nother) tablet. :)

Back
Top Bottom