• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Recommand some Good Animes

cpgrad08

American
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
So I have gotten back into watching anime again. I'm trying to get fully caught up on Detective Conan/ Case Closed. So I was wondering if my fellow anime lovers got any good recommendation for me or others on the forum. To get a feel for my taste I love Case Closed, Tenchi, Mobile Suit Gundam (Universal Century only), most works by studio Gilbi including Tororo, Lupin the Third, FLCL, DBZ

So I have gotten back into watching anime again. I'm trying to get fully caught up on Detective Conan/ Case Closed. So I was wondering if my fellow anime lovers got any good recommendation for me or others on the forum. To get a feel for my taste I love Case Closed, Tenchi, Mobile Suit Gundam (Universal Century only), most works by studio Gilbi including Tororo, Lupin the Third, FLCL, DBZ
South Park is a good anime. :cool:

Where is Redress? He probably just had an anime orgasm.

I feel like I should recommend Naruto and Bleach because she might animerage at me with those choices.

I have no interest in Naruto after 1,000 episodes of boring filler.

I have no interest in Naruto after 1,000 episodes of boring filler.

The only other one I know is Detective Conan. I liked it because it was kind of Sherlock Holmes like.

Edit: I also like Trigun.

hellsing?

or persona 4 the animation?

in my personal experience it was gundam wing that got me hooked on the mobile suit gundam series.

Wing is alright but the Gundams set in the UC timeline are just plain amazing. I have watched Hellsing and enjoyed it specially the abridged version done by team four star.

Go for the classics. Akira and Ghost in the Machine.

Or if it's just cartoon series, try "Aeon Flux" and "Ren and Stimpy"

Last edited:
Wing is alright but the Gundams set in the UC timeline are just plain amazing. I have watched Hellsing and enjoyed it specially the abridged version done by team four star.

alucard regenerating from being ripped apart by bullets always make me laugh.

personally i am not anime fanatic but i pick and choose.

Persona 4 is my favorite anime, although that is because i love the game the anime is based off of.

That is mostly older stuff which is a real different style. I will stick to stuff you can watch free on Crunchyroll(I can get you a free 2 day pass too for watching in higher resolution no commercials) You mention Gundum so a couple recent ones that spring to mind:

Crunchyroll - Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet Full episodes streaming online for free <~simply outstanding mecha show great art/character designs and an interesting story. Another anime fan on the board and I both loved it
Crunchyroll - Majestic Prince Full episodes streaming online for free <~art is kinda different but the story is great
Crunchyroll - Valvrave the Liberator Full episodes streaming online for free <~hit or miss, but when it is at it's best, it is very good

Other stuff to consider, comedy mostly, some of my fave stuff, starting with things currently running this season:

Crunchyroll - WATAMOTE ~No Matter How I Look at It, It <~girl with sever social anxiety issues to the point where saying "thank you" to a store clerk is a major success, she tries everything to become popular, and fails in hilariously embarrassing ways.
Crunchyroll - Silver Spoon Full episodes streaming online for free <~based on manga by writer of Fullmetal Alchemist. It is a fish out of water story, boy from city going to an agricultural college. Very cliche, but the quality of writing makes it stand out.
Crunchyroll - Oreimo Full episodes streaming online for free <~one of the more popular titles lately, very funny but you may have issues with all the otaku references
Crunchyroll - Kotoura-San Full episodes streaming online for free <~bizarrely hilarious comedy about a girl whose life has been ruined by her ability to read minds who learns to make friends. Much much better than any description can make it sound.
Crunchyroll - Vividred Operation Full episodes streaming online for free <~girls fight evil aliens with the power of friendship and cuteness...and boobs and cameltoes.

Some older stuff that is among the best on CR:

Crunchyroll - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Full episodes streaming online for free <~my all time favorite anime. It is a slice of life, sci fi, action, romance, harem, mystery, supernatural comedy.
Crunchyroll - Mysterious Girlfriend X Full episodes streaming online for free <~boy meets girl, boy licks girls drool, falls in love. Very odd, but oddly compelling.
Crunchyroll - Dusk Maiden of Amnesia Full episodes streaming online for free <~one of the best looking anime I have ever watched.
Crunchyroll - GIRLS und PANZER Full episodes streaming online for free <~WATCH THIS SHOW! It is cute girls, and tanks, and great references, and alot of fun. If it ever took itself the least bit seriously it would have failed, but thankfully it did not.
Crunchyroll - Listen to Me, Girls, I <~18 year old college student ends up raising 3 girls, aged 3 to 15. Hilarity ensues.
Crunchyroll - Puella Magi Madoka Magica Full episodes streaming online for free <~probably the highest quality anime of the last 3 years. Deconstructs(think what Neon Genesis or Watchmen did to their genres) magical girl shows.
Crunchyroll - Toradora Full episodes streaming online for free <~easily one of my top 3 favorite anime ever. It is a romance comedy, but is incredibly well done with fantastic voice acting and some of the best writing in anime.
Crunchyroll - Wagnaria!! Full episodes streaming online for free <~the other one of my top 3 favorite anime. A bunch of people work at a restaurant. They are every one of them neurotic in some way. First episode starts a little slow as it introduces the characters, but by the second episode i would spend most of the 25 minutes of the episode giggling like a school girl. Absolutely hilarious stuff.

That is mostly older stuff which is a real different style. I will stick to stuff you can watch free on Crunchyroll(I can get you a free 2 day pass too for watching in higher resolution no commercials) You mention Gundum so a couple recent ones that spring to mind:

Crunchyroll - Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet Full episodes streaming online for free <~simply outstanding mecha show great art/character designs and an interesting story. Another anime fan on the board and I both loved it
Crunchyroll - Majestic Prince Full episodes streaming online for free <~art is kinda different but the story is great
Crunchyroll - Valvrave the Liberator Full episodes streaming online for free <~hit or miss, but when it is at it's best, it is very good

Other stuff to consider, comedy mostly, some of my fave stuff, starting with things currently running this season:

Crunchyroll - WATAMOTE ~No Matter How I Look at It, It <~girl with sever social anxiety issues to the point where saying "thank you" to a store clerk is a major success, she tries everything to become popular, and fails in hilariously embarrassing ways.
Crunchyroll - Silver Spoon Full episodes streaming online for free <~based on manga by writer of Fullmetal Alchemist. It is a fish out of water story, boy from city going to an agricultural college. Very cliche, but the quality of writing makes it stand out.
Crunchyroll - Oreimo Full episodes streaming online for free <~one of the more popular titles lately, very funny but you may have issues with all the otaku references
Crunchyroll - Kotoura-San Full episodes streaming online for free <~bizarrely hilarious comedy about a girl whose life has been ruined by her ability to read minds who learns to make friends. Much much better than any description can make it sound.
Crunchyroll - Vividred Operation Full episodes streaming online for free <~girls fight evil aliens with the power of friendship and cuteness...and boobs and cameltoes.

Some older stuff that is among the best on CR:

Crunchyroll - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Full episodes streaming online for free <~my all time favorite anime. It is a slice of life, sci fi, action, romance, harem, mystery, supernatural comedy.

one of my favs as well, even though I haven't gotten around to watching the movie/

Crunchyroll - Mysterious Girlfriend X Full episodes streaming online for free <~boy meets girl, boy licks girls drool, falls in love. Very odd, but oddly compelling.
Crunchyroll - Dusk Maiden of Amnesia Full episodes streaming online for free <~one of the best looking anime I have ever watched.
Crunchyroll - GIRLS und PANZER Full episodes streaming online for free <~WATCH THIS SHOW! It is cute girls, and tanks, and great references, and alot of fun. If it ever took itself the least bit seriously it would have failed, but thankfully it did not.
Crunchyroll - Listen to Me, Girls, I <~18 year old college student ends up raising 3 girls, aged 3 to 15. Hilarity ensues.
Crunchyroll - Puella Magi Madoka Magica Full episodes streaming online for free <~probably the highest quality anime of the last 3 years. Deconstructs(think what Neon Genesis or Watchmen did to their genres) magical girl shows.
Crunchyroll - Toradora Full episodes streaming online for free <~easily one of my top 3 favorite anime ever. It is a romance comedy, but is incredibly well done with fantastic voice acting and some of the best writing in anime.
Crunchyroll - Wagnaria!! Full episodes streaming online for free <~the other one of my top 3 favorite anime. A bunch of people work at a restaurant. They are every one of them neurotic in some way. First episode starts a little slow as it introduces the characters, but by the second episode i would spend most of the 25 minutes of the episode giggling like a school girl. Absolutely hilarious stuff.

THanks for the suggestions, Im weary about the one you compare to Neon, since I always thought that was one of the worst animes I have ever watched.

I rarely watch video of any kind but I don't live under a rock. These, I thought, were outstanding:
PERFECT BLUE
and
PAPRIKA

THanks for the suggestions, Im weary about the one you compare to Neon, since I always thought that was one of the worst animes I have ever watched.

The comparison to NGE was in that it was a deconstruction of it's genre. Stylistically and storywise it is entirely different.

The comparison to NGE was in that it was a deconstruction of it's genre. Stylistically and storywise it is entirely different.

Roger that. When it comes to anime I guess im in the minority when it comes to NGE.

Roger that. When it comes to anime I guess im in the minority when it comes to NGE.

NGE was an important anime and I am glad I watched it. It is not what I would call enjoyable however.

im not an anime watcher,buti did like vampire hunter d(antique anime created by the same guy who did art for final fantasy games)samurai shamploo,and soul eater.other than that didnt really get into any of them.

Things not on your list and not otherwise mentioned as far as I can tell I find noteworthy (you may have and should have already watched these):

Gurren Lagann

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Cowboy Bebop

Edit: I will second Gargantia as being pretty damn good, though not a favorite like the above.

I will also recommend Sword Art Online. I liked that rather a lot, too.

Last edited:
Things not on your list and not otherwise mentioned as far as I can tell I find noteworthy (you may have and should have already watched these):

Gurren Lagann

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Cowboy Bebop

Edit: I will second Gargantia as being pretty damn good, though not a favorite like the above.

I will also recommend Sword Art Online. I liked that rather a lot, too.

I thought about including Sword Art Online(guy gets trapped in a virtual reality MMORPG) but the list was getting long and I thought it kinda got weak as the series went on. The novels just got licensed for the US and should be out next year if you are interested.

FMA:B is awesome, only reason I did not list it is I just listed stuff he could watch for free. Hae you checked out Silver Spoon by he same manga writer?

I've gotten into Detective Conan lately as well. At about episode 194, not even a dent into the series lol.

Nota bene: If I put (subbed) after it, then it' best subbed. If I put (dubbed), then it's best dubbed.

Some reccs from me, old and recent: Cowboy Bebop (dubbed), Baccano! (dubbed), Durarara!! (subbed), Samurai Champloo (subbed), Steins;Gate (subbed), Uchuu Kyoudai (subbed), Yu Yu Hakusho (dubbed), Hunter x Hunter 2011 series (subbed), Persona 4 (subbed), Gundam 00 (subbed or dubbed), Fate/Zero (subbed), Hellsing Ultimate (dubbed, but the last few episodes are only subbed), Bakuman (subbed), Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (subbed), Toradora (subbed).

Sorry for any repeats, I didn't bother to read the replies.

EDIT: Also, Shingeki no Kyojin -- good watch. It's the best new anime of late.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom