• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Recognizing a Racist

SNOWFLAKE

Crazy Canuck
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
This thread is mostly for those people who will absolutely deny they are racist or have racist views.

In the era of social media, where we can hide behind the guise of anonymity, it is easy to resort to racist tropes, and stereotypes of people of color, and then claim you are not doing so.

However, if you are a racist, it will come out in your arguments and conversations, no matter how carefully you attempt to hide the fact. AND the most ironic part is this:
You really think you are fooling anyone who was brought up to view people as people and have the ability to reason and think for themselves?

So rather than bash my head against those who will deny having a racist bone in their body, I will tell a personal story.

I was born to German parents who emigrated to Canada after WWII and they moved into an ethnically diverse neighborhood in Toronto.

Our next door neighbor was a black man, edging towards retirement age, a widower, and the nicest human being you could ever hope to meet.

He loved his flower garden and never missed an opportunity to pass a bouquet to my mother.

On summer eves, we would sit out on our porch, and our black neighbor on his, and my parents would carry on a very polite conversation back n forth always in friendly enough tones.

But as I grew up, something occurred to me, and I had to ask my parents about it.

It was simply that despite our friendliness with our black neighbor, we never visited his porch nor invited him to ours.

I got curious about that, so I finally reached the age where I thought to ask the question of my parents "why not?"

With perfect candor and straight faces, they said this to mean "We have nothing against Mr.... or black people, we have no bad feelings about them, but inviting them to your home, is just something that isn't done. That isn't racism, that is just the way things are."

From that day forward I learned how to recognize racism in other people, no matter how cute or deflective they try to be about NOT being racist.

Like the man who claims he isn't the least bit misogynistic and claims he believes women are equal to men, but yet expects his wife to stay home to raise the kids and that it is his "duty" to go to work and "provide" - a racist will reveal themselves by what they say and how they say it.

Hmm... what of those who favor equity over equality (based on race or gender)?

Like the man who claims he isn't the least bit misogynistic and claims he believes women are equal to men, but yet expects his wife to stay home to raise the kids and that it is his "duty" to go to work and "provide" -

What about a man who simply does not like women. Unless they are family members?

This thread is mostly for those people who will absolutely deny they are racist or have racist views.

In the era of social media, where we can hide behind the guise of anonymity, it is easy to resort to racist tropes, and stereotypes of people of color, and then claim you are not doing so.

However, if you are a racist, it will come out in your arguments and conversations, no matter how carefully you attempt to hide the fact. AND the most ironic part is this:
You really think you are fooling anyone who was brought up to view people as people and have the ability to reason and think for themselves?

So rather than bash my head against those who will deny having a racist bone in their body, I will tell a personal story.

I was born to German parents who emigrated to Canada after WWII and they moved into an ethnically diverse neighborhood in Toronto.

Our next door neighbor was a black man, edging towards retirement age, a widower, and the nicest human being you could ever hope to meet.

He loved his flower garden and never missed an opportunity to pass a bouquet to my mother.

On summer eves, we would sit out on our porch, and our black neighbor on his, and my parents would carry on a very polite conversation back n forth always in friendly enough tones.

But as I grew up, something occurred to me, and I had to ask my parents about it.

It was simply that despite our friendliness with our black neighbor, we never visited his porch nor invited him to ours.

I got curious about that, so I finally reached the age where I thought to ask the question of my parents "why not?"

With perfect candor and straight faces, they said this to mean "We have nothing against Mr.... or black people, we have no bad feelings about them, but inviting them to your home, is just something that isn't done. That isn't racism, that is just the way things are."

From that day forward I learned how to recognize racism in other people, no matter how cute or deflective they try to be about NOT being racist.

Like the man who claims he isn't the least bit misogynistic and claims he believes women are equal to men, but yet expects his wife to stay home to raise the kids and that it is his "duty" to go to work and "provide" - a racist will reveal themselves by what they say and how they say it.
Theres a very simple test to determine if someone is racist or not. If a progressive does not agree with you, you're a racist. Thats the litmus test.

That's called a "misogynist."

They tend to die alone and unloved.

I've been married 23 years. Have a 21 year old daughter.

I still don't like women not in my family.

I've been married 23 years. Have a 21 year old daughter.

I still don't like women not in my family.

My point stands. What you have today might not be there tomorrow. That will occasionally happen when you express disgust for a partner, even if by proxy.

What about a man who simply does not like women. Unless they are family members?
is that question about anything in particular?

I hear ya. We recognize Biden is a racist by his comments but there is nothing to see there, move along

Theres a very simple test to determine if someone is racist or not. If a progressive does not agree with you, you're a racist. Thats the litmus test.
that was hardly in my example, but it is an example by you of making this about partisan politics (slighting progressives) instead of dealing with the topic of recognizing racists.
what should we call that? another whataboutism? deflection?
I don't want to deal with the discussion at hand so I will take a swipe at progressives, real cute.
disappointed_40x40.gif

I hear ya. We recognize Biden is a racist by his comments but there is nothing to see there, move along
and this thread is about Biden is it?
seems certain people can't deal with the posted topic so have to make it about something else.

seems certain people can't deal with the posted topic so have to make it about something else.
Your thread is about recognizing a racist. And how at times, it is overlooked

well, that didn't take long.
already others have made THIS thread about Biden and about "progressives"
the suggestion being I suppose that only progressives and Democrats can be racists
yet no where in my thread did I mention anything about Republicans or conservatives
I posted a simple story about how easy it is to recognize racists (and considering I am Canadian, why are people assuming I was talking about American racists? Racism is a universal curse)
should I therefore jump to the conclusion that THOSE who wanted to make this about partisan politics have something to hide?
just curious

Last edited:
My point stands. What you have today might not be there tomorrow. That will occasionally happen when you express disgust for a partner, even if by proxy.

I haven't expressed disgust for anyone.

seem
the suggestion being I suppose that only progressives and Democrats can be racists
yet no where in my thread did I mention anything about Republicans or conservatives
I posted a simple story about how easy it is to recognize racists (and considering I am Canadian, why are people assuming I was talking about American racists? Racism is a universal curse)
should I therefore jump to the conclusion that THOSE who wanted to make this about partisan politics have something to hide?
just curious

Why are you so against people mentioning Biden in a discussion of racist comments and the people who ignore them?

It’s nice you’re a Canadian and all but not sure what it has to do with whether Biden’s comments are racist and why some people work so hard to pretend they aren’t.

that was hardly in my example, but it is an example by you of making this about partisan politics (slighting progressives) instead of dealing with the topic of recognizing racists.
what should we call that? another whataboutism? deflection?
I don't want to deal with the discussion at hand so I will take a swipe at progressives, real cute.
View attachment 67321364
the title of your thread is recognizing a racist. I saved you a lot of time and effort by simplifying what you were overcomplicating. The Progressive definition of a racist is everyone they disagree with.

🙌

just curious

When a white person says to black voters, "if you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, you ain't black", what is that, if not racism?

When a white person says to black voters, "if you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, you ain't black", what is that, if not racism?
yup, there you go about Trump
and remember this thread is about "recognizing" racists, and I have read your comments on other threads, so we can just leave it right there.

the title of your thread is recognizing a racist. I saved you a lot of time and effort by simplifying what you were overcomplicating. The Progressive definition of a racist is everyone they disagree with.
I have a different definition, and believe me, my parents weren't progressive, and neither was I still being a kid, but I figured it out soon enough. I also can read the comments certain contributors on social forums make and come to my own conclusions.
Of course, a real racist doesn't recognize the racism in themselves, again my parents as example. I could give a few more just from my observations on forums like this one.

yup, there you go about Trump
and remember this thread is about "recognizing" racists, and I have read your comments on other threads, so we can just leave it right there.

Why would we assume you only care about recognizing Canadian racists?

Why are you so against people mentioning Biden in a discussion of racist comments and the people who ignore them?

It’s nice you’re a Canadian and all but not sure what it has to do with whether Biden’s comments are racist and why some people work so hard to pretend they aren’t.
it's a deflection, and not a very subtle one. BUT since you think it is ok to bring up Biden, I suppose Trump never made a racist statement?
I prefer to not get into partisan deflections, but just use personal observations, and whether in the real world, or on online forums, it isn't hard to recognize who is a racist or not, as I stated in my OP:
a racist will reveal themselves by what they say and how they say it.

Why would we assume you only care about recognizing Canadian racists?
I don't care about racists PERIOD. They are a poor sorry lot regardless where they live or come from. I pity the racist actually.

Remember, when people turn a discussion about racism into a partisan attack, rather than talk about their own attitudes, it doesn't take a genius to recognize why they want to talk about this or that politician they happen to dislike, hell, I would even say the same thing to someone who decided to turn this thread into something about Trump (though, in that case, they would be far closer to the truth)
I suppose if I did a thread about child abuse, or about elder abuse, or about alcoholism, or Mom's apple pie, there would still be those who would say "yeah Biden."
you are incredibly easy to figure out, just sayin'

Back
Top Bottom