• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Recent Military Developments on Fortress Crimea

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Recent Military Developments on Fortress Crimea

116bfd9bcb4a9ecb24eb05c1bb3cb1dc.jpg

1/9/19
Russia deployed a battalion of the modern S-400 air defense missile systems to Dzhankoy in northern Crimea following the altercation between Russian and Ukrainian vessels in the Kerch Strait. This deployment was planned long in advance, however, and not in response to the Kerch Strait incident. Following the Kerch Strait incident, a number of Russian military vehicles were spotted moving around, to, and from the peninsula, but this did not constitute a build-up nor were they particularly notable. This event was the last out of four publicly announced S-400 deployments in Crimea distributed across the 18th and 12th Missile Air Defense Regiments of the 31st Air Defense Division, 4th Air Forces and Air Defense Forces Army. Although this was described in Russian news media as the fourth deployment of S-400s to Crimea, it was actually the fifth. The battalion in Dzhankoy is the latest, and likely last, deployment of 18th Missile Air Defense Regiment S-400s to Crimea since Russia’s illegal annexation of the peninsula in 2014. The deployment was widely perceived as a response to the incident in the Kerch Strait just days prior, but satellite imagery revealed that work on the facility began as early as August 15, 2018. This deployment was announced in Russian media as the second battalion of the 18th Missile Air Defense Regiment and the fourth overall deployment of S-400s to Crimea, but four battalions worth of S-400s were already present on the peninsula by the time of the Dzhankoy deployment.

The S-400 site in Kerch is the most extensive of the 18th Air Defense Regiment locations and has seen significant growth since Russian forces took over the facility in 2014. The current configuration of the site consists of a large collection of radars in addition to the base S-400 system. The most recent addition to the base was an unidentified radome, a protective casing for a radar, on which construction began in the summer of 2018. While the exact type of the radome was not known, it bore a high similarity to that used for the Kasta-2E2, an ultra-high frequency (UHF) radar for tracking and identifying aircraft. Starting in 2017, components of the S-400 air defense system appeared at the Kerch location in place of the previous S-300 components. Satellite imagery on Google Earth suggested that this switch was made some time between September 11 and November 20, 2016. These new distinguishable components comprised the 96L6 and 92N6 radars. Three other S-400 sites exist on the Crimean peninsula, and all deployed within the past two years. The Feodosia site was the first S-400 deployment for the 18th Missile Air Defense Regiment, which was considered the first deployment of S-400s to Crimea altogether. The most recent deployment of 12th Missile Air Defense Regiment S-400s was the battalion near Yevpatoria, the site of a major military airfield. While the movement of forces in Crimea were likely meant to signal Russian resolve, little appeared to have been achieved. The main thing to watch in the future will be long-term improvements to existing forces and the arrival of new ones.

Occupied Crimea is one of the most heavily defended areas in the world. Russia is emplacing these military systems on sovereign Ukraine soil.

More than that, this weaponry can also be used for A2/D2 (area denial) covering the Russia/Ukraine mutually shared Sea of Azov and the international maritime body of the Black Sea.

The illegal CIA originated coup d'etat was not accepted by the residents of Crimea. The current gov't in Kiev received about 13% OK of eligible voters. Had the coup plotters allowed a normal election that had been expedited and approved by Yanukovych, a legal gov't continuity would have occured. The coup allowed the plotters to install their own stooges as the new leaders. This was not approved by the citizens of Crimea, Donbas, or Luhansk. The Crimeans voted for annexation. Russia agreed. The Donbas voted to be annexed by Russia. Russia did not accept but does feed and arm these citizens. Poroshenko keeps trying to kill the Donbass and Luhansk citizens with deleterious results. He's just going to have to swallow that turd. Like yourself. The facts on the ground are not the narrative puvlished by the Pentagon, Defense Dept, or the US Gubmint. You can REPEAT the narrtive blindfolded. I'd worry about that if I were you.
/

Ignore the RT commentary.

The illegal CIA originated coup d'etat was not accepted by the residents of Crimea. The current gov't in Kiev received about 13% OK of eligible voters. Had the coup plotters allowed a normal election that had been expedited and approved by Yanukovych, a legal gov't continuity would have occured. The coup allowed the plotters to install their own stooges as the new leaders. This was not approved by the citizens of Crimea, Donbas, or Luhansk. The Crimeans voted for annexation. Russia agreed. The Donbas voted to be annexed by Russia. Russia did not accept but does feed and arm these citizens. Poroshenko keeps trying to kill the Donbass and Luhansk citizens with deleterious results. He's just going to have to swallow that turd. Like yourself. The facts on the ground are not the narrative puvlished by the Pentagon, Defense Dept, or the US Gubmint. You can REPEAT the narrtive blindfolded. I'd worry about that if I were you.
/

You misspelled "Ukrainian uprising against a Russian puppet".....

Russian occupation of and "annexation" of Ukrainian territory is not recognized. And the Russian invasion of Donbass and Luhansk is simply a ploy to keep the Ukraine in a state of conflict to block their entry into NATO.

Not sure what the point of this thread is.

That Russia would defend Crimea and use it secure its strategic position at the head of the Black Sea, making it invulnerable to NATO attack - even my cat worked this out back in 2014.

It's only you Western crazies who seemed to think that Russia would give it back in order to be welcomed back into the club of morally depraved US supllicants known as the G7 and 'western world'.

PS - Is this one of the 'Russia isn't Nigeria with snow' threads?

Not sure what the point of this thread is.

That Russia would defend Crimea and use it secure its strategic position at the head of the Black Sea, making it invulnerable to NATO attack - even my cat worked this out back in 2014.

It's only you Western crazies who seemed to think that Russia would give it back in order to be welcomed back into the club of morally depraved US supllicants known as the G7 and 'western world'.

PS - Is this one of the 'Russia isn't Nigeria with snow' threads?

If you read for comprehension rather than response it would help.

Simply put. Russia is reinforcing their forces on the illegally occupied Crimea because... Might makes right....

It seems that the Kremlin wanted Crimea strictly for military purposes (and to extend warfare on Ukraine). It has far more weaponry and bases per sq. km than Kaliningrad.

Given the hostility of Ukraine and its erstwhile western puppet-masters, Crimea requires heavy defence.

But Crimea is also a wonderful strategic port and its position is integral to the defence of Russia's Caucasus.

Of course, as you prefer to forget, the people of Crimea overwhelmingly want to be part of Russia since most of them are ethnic Russian.

#inconvenienttruth

Given the hostility of Ukraine and its erstwhile western puppet-masters, Crimea requires heavy defence.

But Crimea is also a wonderful strategic port and its position is integral to the defence of Russia's Caucasus.

Of course, as you prefer to forget, the people of Crimea overwhelmingly want to be part of Russia since most of them are ethnic Russian.

#inconvenienttruth

#Blamingthevictim...

Crimea has always been heavily defended by Russian troops. Sevastopol was one of the most heavily defended sites under WW2.

Another pointless thread attempting to "hurt" Russia. Listen ANTI Russia people...your case would be better if you actually went after Russia on facts and not bull**** like this.

Sent from my Honor 8X using Tapatalk

Crimea has always been heavily defended by Russian troops. Sevastopol was one of the most heavily defended sites under WW2.

Another pointless thread attempting to "hurt" Russia. Listen ANTI Russia people...your case would be better if you actually went after Russia on facts and not bull**** like this.

Sent from my Honor 8X using Tapatalk

Yup. What I find funny is that all this anti-Russian spam is meaningless since it doesnt change the facts on the ground: Crimea is a part of Russia now and will be for the foreseeable future. It will never return to Ukraine.

Wrong as usual. The Russian naval facility at Sevastopol (which Russia was leasing from Ukraine) and the military airport at Belbek were the only major bases in Crimea before 2014.

These are facts. Complete with satellite pictures. You just allow your hatred of the US to color your posts everywhere on this board.

Yup. What I find funny is that all this anti-Russian spam is meaningless since it doesnt change the facts on the ground: Crimea is a part of Russia now and will be for the foreseeable future. It will never return to Ukraine.

You post about Oceania, wherever that is. I'll post about what I am familiar with ... Eastern Europe and Russia.

You post about Oceania, wherever that is. I'll post about what I am familiar with ... Eastern Europe and Russia.

The fact that you think Ukraine will somehow take back Crimea just shows how unfamiliar you are with that region.

Wrong as usual. The Russian naval facility at Sevastopol (which Russia was leasing from Ukraine) and the military airport at Belbek were the only major bases in Crimea before 2014.

And? The Sevastopol naval facility was the WHOLE ****ING REASON for this mess. Ukraine Neo Nazi nationalists wanted to seize it and that aint gonna happen. Learn from history. It has been a major Russian military base for centuries and Russia would do anything to defend that.

These are facts. Complete with satellite pictures. You just allow your hatred of the US to color your posts everywhere on this board.

The facts are that the Crimea was always either under Russian control or run by pro Russian politicians since the 1700s. Fact is also, that the Russia Czars, later the Soviets and now the Federation, would do anything to keep control of Sevastopol. That they now are building more bases and defences there, is only logical since the Ukraine has threatened in taking back the place.

Also I have no hate for the US... I dislike American far right religious conservatives but that does not mean I hate the US. And regardless, it has absolutely nothing to do with the situation in Crimea. At best, it is part of the US attempts to destabilize Russia, just as the Russians are trying to destabilize the US and its allies.

Listen I am pragmatic.. I dont like what the Russians did, but I can understand it and there is nothing anyone can do about. The provocation came from the US/NATO backed Ukranian Neo Nazi nationalists, in a vain attempt to weaken Russia. It is the same **** the US/NATO pulled in Syria. Russia has retaliated by putting an insane man in the White House and destabilized the western alliance by backing any and all far right nationalist crap they could find.. This is the cold war continued basically.

Does it bother me that Russia is beefing up security in Crimea? Sure, I dislike military in general. Do I understand it? Of course I do, just as I understand the US/NATO putting extra troops in the Baltics and all those other actions by US/NATO and Russia. Both sides are accusing each other of provocation and denying of course that they are doing it.

The fact that you think Ukraine will somehow take back Crimea just shows how unfamiliar you are with that region.

Really. Another stable genius?

Quote me as saying that anywhere here at DP. I'll remind you everyday until you do.

And? The Sevastopol naval facility was the WHOLE ****ING REASON for this mess. Ukraine Neo Nazi nationalists wanted to seize it and that aint gonna happen. Learn from history. It has been a major Russian military base for centuries and Russia would do anything to defend that.

Right out of the Kremlin disinformation playbook. Well, what else to expect from an EU anti-American.

List for me who in the Ukraine govt. in 2014 was a neo-Nazi. While I'm waiting, chew on these.....

Putin in 2008: 'Crimea is not disputed territory' and is part of Ukraine

BBC | Putin reveals secrets of Russia's Crimea takeover plot

Reuters | Putin says plan to take Crimea hatched before referendum

These Ukraine naval cadets in Sevastopol speak English fluently.

Crimea Cadets Must Choose Their Nationalities: Russian or Ukrainian

Cadets at Sevastopol's Ukraine Naval Academy are to be forced to decide whether they want to join the Russians or leave Crimea to mainland Ukraine.

They face the decision following Russia's annexation of the region.

The gate at the Naval Academy still bears the Ukrainian emblem, but the cadets know that this will soon change.

As to the Putin "referendum" in Crimea it's long been Russian gallows humor that when you vote in Russia you get a ballot handed to you with the X already on it. And there's the one making the rounds that a guy was arrested in Red Square for handing out leaflets but at the police station the cop noticed the papers were blank. So he asked the guy who said, "Everybody knows what's going on so why say it."

Armed Russian soldiers were inside and outside the polling stations during the Crimea so-called referendum. There were no voter registration rolls so anyone with access could vote early, often and in various locations. It's the kind of democracy the Putin-Trump-Fanboys want for the United States.

Last edited:
Really. Another stable genius?

Quote me as saying that anywhere here at DP. I'll remind you everyday until you do.

You do it with every spam post you make here. It's not gonna happen. Give it up.

I don't like the Kremlin and I don't like NATO. I think they both need to STFU and GTFO ...of Ukraine and Eastern Europe as a whole.

Right out of the Kremlin disinformation playbook. Well, what else to expect from an EU anti-American.

List for me who in the Ukraine govt. in 2014 was a neo-Nazi. While I'm waiting, chew on these.....

Putin in 2008: 'Crimea is not disputed territory' and is part of Ukraine

BBC | Putin reveals secrets of Russia's Crimea takeover plot

Reuters | Putin says plan to take Crimea hatched before referendum

Okay tell me.. who was it exactly that defended Parliament during the revolution in the violent clashes in Kiev?

Oh, FFS.... There are probably more Neo Nazis in Denmark than Ukraine.

Membership (2010) 15,000

Out of a population of 45,000,000

Fail more please.

He also conveniently forgets that it was Moscow that joined up with Nazi Germany via the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact, carving up eastern Europe.

Back
Top Bottom