• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Recent Display Of Stupidity

aquapub

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Echoing one of the most familiar idiotic assertions ever to become mainstreamed in American culture, a less than enlightened handful of pro-abortion hysterics disrupted a press conference of the anti-abortion group, "Concerned Women For America," (I think that name is correct) with fake blood splashed all over their pelvic regions chanting some mindless drivel about women getting hurt if abortion "rights" aren't protected.

The idiotic assertion is that we should keep abortion legal because, for this and only THIS would-be crime, we are going to care about the well-being of the assailant more than that of her victim. No other law works this way. You don't legalize bank robbery just because robbing banks the illegal way might get bank robbers hurt.

Logic, consistency, principle, direction....It all gets discarded when it gets in the way of what liberals want.

aquapub said:
Echoing one of the most familiar idiotic assertions ever to become mainstreamed in American culture, a less than enlightened handful of pro-abortion hysterics disrupted a press conference of the anti-abortion group, "Concerned Women For America," (I think that name is correct) with fake blood splashed all over their pelvic regions chanting some mindless drivel about women getting hurt if abortion "rights" aren't protected.

The idiotic assertion is that we should keep abortion legal because, for this and only THIS would-be crime, we are going to care about the well-being of the assailant more than that of her victim. No other law works this way. You don't legalize bank robbery just because robbing banks the illegal way might get bank robbers hurt.

I understand what you are saying, but the undeniable fact of the matter is that abortion has existed in this country since its inception, and they will occur whether or not they are legal. When abortions are illegal, women who wanted them were forced to have them performed in unclean, dangerous ways that often got them killed or made them sick.

Logic, consistency, principle, direction....It all gets discarded when it gets in the way of what liberals want.

I really object to generalizations that amount to terrible mischaracterizations of entire groups. Calling all liberals opportunistic logic-avoiders is not the way to have rational debate, and it really adds nothing to your argument. I'd appreciate it if you left the unneccessary generalizations out. <3

Engimo said:
I understand what you are saying, but the undeniable fact of the matter is that abortion has existed in this country since its inception, and they will occur whether or not they are legal. When abortions are illegal, women who wanted them were forced to have them performed in unclean, dangerous ways that often got them killed or made them sick.

Or maybe they'll decide not to have one...Or maybe they will be more careful about when and with whom they have sex. Or maybe a little bit of "personal responsibiltiy" will seep back into our society.... Just an alternative.

I'd say a woman is more personally responsible for her situation of "getting pregnant" than the fetus is for being conceived.

aquapub said:

The debate about abortion is complex - you only have to look at these boards to understand hopw many issues there are. It is difficult to resolve - it involves politics, religion, emotion, law.

To discuss these views is fine, in fact I think it is very good that such issues are discussed, but your statement (above) is not a discussion about issues, it is simply an insult.

It is not only illogical and wrong to say tha 'liberals' discard 'logic, consistency, principle, direction' it is also insulting. It also add nothing to the debate about abortion. Such a statement is condescendin: it implies that your argument is right simply because the liberals are wrong - you are making the mistake of attacking people's personalities rather than their arguments.

Icould just as easily write "Logic, consistency, principle, direction....It all gets discarded when it gets in the way of what conservatices want." or perhaps Logic, consistency, principle, direction....It all gets discarded when it gets in the way of what Christians want." or perhaps Logic, consistency, principle, direction....It all gets discarded when it gets in the way of what xyz want." where xyz = any group that I disagree with.

Felicity said:
Or maybe they'll decide not to have one...Or maybe they will be more careful about when and with whom they have sex. Or maybe a little bit of "personal responsibiltiy" will seep back into our society.... Just an alternative.

I'd say a woman is more personally responsible for her situation of "getting pregnant" than the fetus is for being conceived.

Except we have history that shows us that this doesn't happen. Abortions will occur, legal or otherwise, it's simply inevitable.

Engimo said:
Except we have history that shows us that this doesn't happen. Abortions will occur, legal or otherwise, it's simply inevitable.
Numbers of dead babies, man--it's the numbers! 4,000 abortions A DAY!!!! 48 MILLION since Roe-v-Wade! So wrong!

Felicity said:
Numbers of dead babies, man--it's the numbers! 4,000 abortions A DAY!!!! 48 MILLION since Roe-v-Wade! So wrong!

*shrug* I don't consider fetuses to be children, but that was not the point I was making.

All I am saying is that abortions are going to happen - regardless of whether or not they are legal.

Engimo said:
*shrug* I don't consider fetuses to be children, but that was not the point I was making.

All I am saying is that abortions are going to happen - regardless of whether or not they are legal.
And that's the point--bank robberies happen too...even though it's illegal...does that mean it was wrong to make a law that says bank robbing is illegal..no.

Felicity said:
And that's the point--bank robberies happen too...even though it's illegal...does that mean it was wrong to make a law that says bank robbing is illegal..no.

Stupidest analogy I've heard in a long time.

vergiss said:
Stupidest analogy I've heard in a long time.
I grow tired of your pubescent jabs. You are nearly a woman--start acting like one.

Felicity said:
I grow tired of your pubescent jabs. You are nearly a woman--start acting like one.

Ooh, hit a nerve?

It was a stupid analogy. At least by being "pubescent", I have an excuse for my stupidity. :lol:

vergiss said:
I have an excuse for my stupidity. :lol:

Not for long, honey--enjoy it!

Felicity said:

Mod Mode

And the age of people matters in this debate because.....?

Let's stay focused on relevant topics, like the one above.

/Mod Mode

RightatNYU said:
Mod Mode

And the age of people matters in this debate because.....?

Let's stay focused on relevant topics, like the one above.

/Mod Mode

What is this?

I suggest someone "grow up" and I get "mod mode"??? I have been called a "scumbag liar" here and no "mod mode" popped up...(not by vergiss by the way). Relevant to this particular thread and what prompted my response that you quote above--the opinion of an analogy being "stupid" is as relevant as the opinion that the opinion of the analogy is pubescent but you have no comment about that?:roll:

Felicity said:
What is this?

I suggest someone "grow up" and I get "mod mode"??? I have been called a "scumbag liar" here and no "mod mode" popped up...(not by vergiss by the way). Relevant to this particular thread and what prompted my response that you quote above--the opinion of an analogy being "stupid" is as relevant as the opinion that the opinion of the analogy is pubescent but you have no comment about that?:roll:

There's a difference between calling an analogy stupid and attacking a person because of their age. One is making an argument, albeit not in the most appropriate manner, whereas the other is not furthering anything but a pointless argument.

And as to your complaint, we highly encourage you to report any post which you feel is attacking you in the manner you mentioned. In the lower left corner of each post there's a triangle you can click to report any bad posts to the mods so we can deal with it. Try as we might, we don't see all bad posts, and if we don't see it, we can't handle it. So don't take our failure to act as a tacit approval of the attack made on you.:2wave:

RightatNYU said:
There's a difference between calling an analogy stupid and attacking a person because of their age. One is making an argument, albeit not in the most appropriate manner, whereas the other is not furthering anything but a pointless argument.

And as to your complaint, we highly encourage you to report any post which you feel is attacking you in the manner you mentioned. In the lower left corner of each post there's a triangle you can click to report any bad posts to the mods so we can deal with it. Try as we might, we don't see all bad posts, and if we don't see it, we can't handle it. So don't take our failure to act as a tacit approval of the attack made on you.:2wave:
I'd be reporting steen every other post. :roll:

Calling someone a liar or stupid is an insult, and thus not entirely appropriate, but is not a personal attack.

vergiss said:
Calling someone a liar or stupid is an insult, and thus not entirely appropriate, but is not a personal attack.
I see the distinction the mod pointed out between calling a THING stupid and calling a PERSON immature. (although technically, I was calling your "jab" pubescent;) ) If you are defending steen--he calls PEOPLE liars (and all sorts of other stuff) without evidence (and every other post) and point blank called me and JP Freeman "scumbags". So your statement above is wrong. Calling a "person" a liar or stupid is in fact "person"al attack.

Felicity said:
I see the distinction the mod pointed out between calling a THING stupid and calling a PERSON immature. (although technically, I was calling your "jab" pubescent;) ) If you are defending steen--he calls PEOPLE liars (and all sorts of other stuff) without evidence (and every other post) and point blank called me and JP Freeman "scumbags". So your statement above is wrong. Calling a "person" a liar or stupid is in fact "person"al attack.

No, dear. A personal attack is an attack which makes reference to something specific about that individual.

vergiss said:
No, dear. A personal attack is an attack which makes reference to something specific about that individual.
Okay...that's really a difference...thanks for clearing that up for me.:lol:

Back
Top Bottom