• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Received my Open Enrollment package today- Screw Obamacare!

Since you are having a real world experience, can you tell me (us) a little more? I'm not familiar with the term "high plan". Were you getting insurance through your employment? If so, are your employers changing insurance companies? Do you pay the monthly fee and if so how much is it.

I'm trying to understand this, there is NO snarkiness in my questions. I'm on Medicare which is a world of its own.

I was one of those with a "Cadillac Plan" it was part of my compensation. Now thanks to Obamacare it will no longer be offered because of the penalty assoicated with it. The only positive as I have used my contacts in my field and may have found a solution.

Thanks for sharing that with us, Rocket. If that's true, Obamacare is screwed, blued and tattoed.

Our union guys are on the same plan, they are screaming to high heaven about the new plan, thing is most of them brought it on themselves.

Well, before you start loading your trusty Colt Army Model 1860, consider that "freeloaders" are not really getting much of a deal. Sure, more people will be "insured" - many of them against their will, via the "individual mandate".

But it will not necessarily result in any real "wealth transfer" to them. (In the short term, it is obviously the opposite: many are forced to buy a product they don't want, or pay a fine).

The key issue - the growing costs of actual health care - is not being addressed; worse: this legislation effectively blocks he road to addressing it in the foreseeable future. Given unavoidable budget constraints, will the newly-covered "freeloader" get better care, as opposed to relying on Medicaid and emergency rooms, if we are talking about those who really "cannot afford it"? Highly unlikely.

There are three groups who are going to benefit from this travesty: (1) (selected) health "insurance" companies; (2) government bureaucracies, and (3) self-serving politicians (on both sides, mind you - mock indignation is just as profitable as the true-believer mask).

I am not saying that dependence on government is not corrupting. It most certainly is. But let's have some sense of reality here. The ACA was not a result of some vulgar popular uprising - it was a result of the left-of-the-center political elites striking a mutually profitable deal with a particular group within the "couldn't care less about left or right" corporate elites.

"Crony capitalism", that's the term. (Hi, Comrade Colonel Putin).

Democrats get fooled by these guys every time.

Now here's someone who knows a great deal about insurance. My kinda' gal. ;)

Well Maggie.....we could use this womans book. Which she did read the law and they do cite as an expert. From Post 14.

One expert, Betsy McCaughey, former Lieutenant Governor of New York and constitutional scholar with a Ph.D. from Columbia University, recently wrote a best-selling book showing Americans how they can survive Obamacare. McCaughey is one of the only people in the country -- including members of Congress - who has actually read the entire 2,572 page law.

Her book, titled Beating Obamacare: Your Handbook for Surviving the New Health Care Law breaks down the complicated bill into 168 pages of actionable advice......snip~

I am sure she has all the plans including the Ones those Congress members enjoy.....as well the problems that with setting up the exchanges all covered. Her was more detailed than Morris' Book. But then Morris never read the Law in it's full form.

1. Who is "we"? You and your family? You're talking about buying an individual plan on the private market, right? Not as part of a group policy?

2. What is your age?

3. What state are you enrollling in?

4. What ins. companies are your comparing (between your "high plan" and the Gold plan)?

5. What is your current premium for the "high plan"? Is that for a family?

6. What will be the premium for the Gold plan?

7. Is your current "high plan" a PPO? That is, it has an "in network" part and an "out of network" part?

8. Does the Gold plan have an "in network" and "out of network" system? Or does that plan you're citing apply to all care providers...no network. Or just to an "in network" list of care providers (an HMO)?

9. What are the deductibles on both plans?

10. What are the annual out of pocket limits of both plans? (that is, the amount that is the max you'll have to pay out of pocket for the year)

11. What is the total cap on the policy, that it will pay for the "high plan" and for the "Gold Plan"? That is, if you get cancer of MS or some catastrophic injury...at what amt does the ins. co. cut you off?

12. What do preventive care visits cost under your current "high plan"? Has Obamacare kicked in on that, so that they are free, yet? (annual checkups, mammograms, etc.) Preventive exams and such are free under Obamacare.

1 My co-workers, employer sponsored plan

2 see number one

3 same company

4 none
5 68 bi weekly empl +spouse
6 84 bi weekly
7 yes
8 yes
9. no deductible on high plan, 5k on gold plan I think, it is at office
10 almost nothing on high plan, 9 or 10k on gold
11. haven't read that far, that is another thing, last year was 20 pages, this year it is 75.
12 all covered under High plan, higher copays under Gold

Now here's someone who knows a great deal about insurance. My kinda' gal. ;)

Except she made the assumption I was looking on the open market.

Except she made the assumption I was looking on the open market.

That IS the open market, is it not? If it's not on the Exchange, it's because a company isn't offering a product that conforms . . . ?

That IS the open market, is it not? If it's not on the Exchange, it's because a company isn't offering a product that conforms . . . ?

No, its my employer.... I had a great "Cadillac" plan but now thanks to Obama it had to be changed due to the penalties my company would have to pay to keep it. Meanwhile our coverage goes down and costs go up.

If I was single I would drop off of it and just pay the penalty in protest.

No, its my employer.... I had a great "Cadillac" plan but now thanks to Obama it had to be changed due to the penalties my company would have to pay to keep it. Meanwhile our coverage goes down and costs go up.

If I was single I would drop off of it and just pay the penalty in protest.

You do realize peoples medical insurance has been whittled away at for at least the past 10 or 15 years. You were lucky to have Cadillac for that long.

You do realize peoples medical insurance has been whittled away at for at least the past 10 or 15 years. You were lucky to have Cadillac for that long.

It wasn't luck, I earned it. I stayed out 150-200 nights per year while most people went home every night.

I was one of those with a "Cadillac Plan" it was part of my compensation. Now thanks to Obamacare it will no longer be offered because of the penalty assoicated with it. The only positive as I have used my contacts in my field and may have found a solution.

My son is caught in the same trap and is about as enthused about it as you are:( I hope you can find one that's good enough. Hopefully, you won't need it.

It wasn't luck, I earned it. I stayed out 150-200 nights per year while most people went home every night.

And everyone else worked their asses off as well. They earned their high end plans and over the past 10-15 years they were chipped away at while their employee portion increased.

I am happy you were able to keep your plan for so long. But you are naïve to think this path was just because of ACA.

My son is caught in the same trap and is about as enthused about it as you are:( I hope you can find one that's good enough. Hopefully, you won't need it.

thanks, luckily I am blessed with a skill that is somewhat rare and have already received an verbal offer on the phone today. I have been with this company a long time and hate to leave but I will if it means I can avoid a pay cut due to Obamacare.

And everyone else worked their asses off as well. They earned their high end plans and over the past 10-15 years they were chipped away at while their employee portion increased.

I am happy you were able to keep your plan for so long. But you are naïve to think this path was just because of ACA.

Without ACA I would have never seen it. Thanks too Obama and company we are ****ed.

Without ACA I would have never seen it. Thanks too Obama and company we are ****ed.

Nobody else over the past 10 0r 15 years saw it coming either. This all started before Obama. Won't blame Bush either. It is a for profit insurance program with high overhead and greedy CEOS that bear the brunt of it.

Our plans have been priced up and stripped away for a very long time. At least now, when we get cancer or a serious disease we do not have to worry about being dumped. I can tell you some doozies about my friends cancer support group from about 10 plus years ago. There was an ongoing theme about how folks were either screwed out of coverage for "pseudo" pre-existing conditions or premium checks were "lost" or standard cancer treatment was disputed as "experimental".

Expert? Betsy McCaughey?

:lamo

You obviously have no idea who you're talking about.

:lol: Got anything that says she is not an expert on Obamacare? Anything at all? Something? Something even fringe like? :shock:

I"ll wait.
waiting.gif

:lol: Got anything that says she is not an expert on Obamacare? Anything at all? Something? Something even fringe like? :shock:

I"ll wait.
waiting.gif

It's clear that the only thing you know about her is what you read in that one article you quoted.

She used to be the Lt Gov in NY under Pataki. She became such a laughingstock in NY that Pataki had to drop her like a hot potato

My employer switched to plans like this about 10 years ago. All the options sucked.

Luckily they had one additional option -Kaiser. I have been with Kaiser since.

Many employers went down that path years ago - without ACA

See, that proves it, Obamacare was having a negative effect even 10 years ago!

So I assume that your employer is now saving money. Or did you pay 100% of the cost?

Nobody else over the past 10 0r 15 years saw it coming either. This all started before Obama. Won't blame Bush either. It is a for profit insurance program with high overhead and greedy CEOS that bear the brunt of it.

Our plans have been priced up and stripped away for a very long time. At least now, when we get cancer or a serious disease we do not have to worry about being dumped. I can tell you some doozies about my friends cancer support group from about 10 plus years ago. There was an ongoing theme about how folks were either screwed out of coverage for "pseudo" pre-existing conditions or premium checks were "lost" or standard cancer treatment was disputed as "experimental".

Again we had a contract. This is the only President in my lifetime to cause force majure on an existing healthcare contract.

So I assume that your employer is now saving money. Or did you pay 100% of the cost?

yes they are saving money on my plan but not on the extra labor required to monitor the exhausting provisions.

It's clear that the only thing you know about her is what you read in that one article you quoted.

She used to be the Lt Gov in NY under Pataki. She became such a laughingstock in NY that Pataki had to drop her like a hot potato

I'm still waiting for some sort of information on that she is not an expert. Did you happen to find any?

I'm still waiting for some sort of information on that she is not an expert. Did you happen to find any?

Have you even looked, or do you believe she's an "expert" because it says so in an article?

Have you even looked, or do you believe she's an "expert" because it says so in an article?

I believe she has read the whole Law like both sides report.....I think she has studied it in detail in order to write her book and be credible. Other than members of Congress she knows each and every detail. So I would say general speaking she would be.....despite not writing any of it.

So one side says she is an expert.....yet she knows what she is talking about and can cite which section of the law it is. While those such as yourself doubt the validity of the claim. Even knowing she knows the law better than most of them their selves.

So to say she isn't one.....there must be some sort of Information that disputes her claim to fame. Did you happen to find any yet?

Back
Top Bottom