• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rebellion and Insurrection

MrNiceGuy

Symbiotic Pnemonic
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Under 18 USC 2383, "Whoever incites, sets on foot, assists, or engages in any rebellion or insurrection against the authority of the United States or the laws thereof, or gives aid or comfort thereto, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States."

Is there a case that this statute should have been used against the organizers of the Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone, and the various rioters in 2020-21 who attacked federal buildings and tried to blind federal officers with laser beams and hurling rocks and bricks at them, etc?

Were they not engaged in a rebellion and insurrection against the authority of the US or the laws?
I
Under 18 USC 2384, "If two or more persons in any State or Territory, or in any place subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, conspire to overthrow, put down, or to destroy by force the Government of the United States, or to levy war against them, or to oppose by force the authority thereof, or by force to prevent, hinder, or delay the execution of any law of the United States, or by force to seize, take, or possess any property of the United States contrary to the authority thereof, they shall each be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years, or both."

So, didn't those self-same rioters "oppose by force the authority thereof ..." etc.

Seems to me that setting up an "autonomous zone" where lawful authority is ostensibly prohibited from going, and attacking federal courthouses and federal building, and attacking federal officers, is a good deal of what is prohibited in those two statutes.

If one is in favor of prosecuting 1/6 protesters or rioters under those statutes, ought we not also prosecute others engaged in forceful attacks on federal property and authorities under those statutes?

Under 18 USC 2383, "Whoever incites, sets on foot, assists, or engages in any rebellion or insurrection against the authority of the United States or the laws thereof, or gives aid or comfort thereto, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States."

Is there a case that this statute should have been used against the organizers of the Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone, and the various rioters in 2020-21 who attacked federal buildings and tried to blind federal officers with laser beams and hurling rocks and bricks at them, etc?

Were they not engaged in a rebellion and insurrection against the authority of the US or the laws?
I
Under 18 USC 2384, "If two or more persons in any State or Territory, or in any place subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, conspire to overthrow, put down, or to destroy by force the Government of the United States, or to levy war against them, or to oppose by force the authority thereof, or by force to prevent, hinder, or delay the execution of any law of the United States, or by force to seize, take, or possess any property of the United States contrary to the authority thereof, they shall each be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years, or both."

So, didn't those self-same rioters "oppose by force the authority thereof ..." etc.

Seems to me that setting up an "autonomous zone" where lawful authority is ostensibly prohibited from going, and attacking federal courthouses and federal building, and attacking federal officers, is a good deal of what is prohibited in those two statutes.

If one is in favor of prosecuting 1/6 protesters or rioters under those statutes, ought we not also prosecute others engaged in forceful attacks on federal property and authorities under those statutes?
Maybe. To bad the last administration was weak on crime or they may have pressed charges.

Possibly if the Trump administration hadn't been spending so much time on their Muller lead investigation they would have had the time?

Who knows but I wouldn't let your TDS get you all worked up.

Here's my "autonomous zone" that I think we should set up for leftist demonstrators, rioters, looters, insurrectionists, seditionists, and activists:

It's even painted the right color.

1651676706508.png

Maybe. To bad the last administration was weak on crime or they may have pressed charges.

Possibly if the Trump administration hadn't been spending so much time on their Muller lead investigation they would have had the time?

Who knows but I wouldn't let your TDS get you all worked up.
I think the issue was with the prosecutors, not the Administration. Remember, the Administrations are supposed to leave the prosecutorial judgment to the prosecutors and the DOJ, and not interfere with those judgments.

When the folks were arrested in the repeated riots of BLM and ANTIFA, prosecutors were just letting them go.

What do you mean "worked up?" I'm discussing the same statutes that folks are discussing about the 1/6 rioters. Are they "all worked up?" What gives?

I think the issue was with the prosecutors, not the Administration. Remember, the Administrations are supposed to leave the prosecutorial judgment to the prosecutors and the DOJ, and not interfere with those judgments.

Certainly but the doj is chosen by the president.

That aside I can remember several tweets from the last administration that advocated for or against the doj pursuing various crimes...but for this...nothing. pretty odd.

When the folks were arrested in the repeated riots of BLM and ANTIFA, prosecutors were just letting them go.

Why were they let go?

I certainly can't defend or agree with this statement without more info/specifics.

It's my understanding that over 17k protestors have been arrested in connection with not being so peaceful during protests during BLM and Antifa riots/protests.

What do you mean "worked up?" I'm discussing the same statutes that folks are discussing about the 1/6 rioters. Are they "all worked up?" What gives?
Just seems like you were attacking Trump and his doj.

Sorry. I over reacted.

Back
Top Bottom