• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Reauthorize the Patriot Act or Why this fillibuster cannot stand.

Joined
Aug 11, 2005
Messages
1,670
Reaction score
17
Location
Ohio
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Re: Reathaurize the Patriot Act or Why this fillibuster cannot stand.

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
Sorry to tell you but the president's first and foremost responsibility is to protect the lives of the American people, the NYT's article has jeopardized national security and put the lives of Americans in danger. As was cited in previous posts on this thread the Patriot Act has served to prevent terrorist attacks on this nation and now you want it repealed I just do not understand the liberals mindset at all.


I'm sure many of the Germans thought along similar lines when they allowed Hitler to blame and persecute the Jews but that was before it ceased to be so specific and became anyone and everyone with a big nose. Get the point?
 

Trajan Octavian Titus

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
20,915
Reaction score
546
Location
We can't stop here this is bat country!
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Re: Reathaurize the Patriot Act or Why this fillibuster cannot stand.

Napoleon's Nightingale said:
I'm sure many of the Germans thought along similar lines when they allowed Hitler to blame and persecute the Jews but that was before it ceased to be so specific and became anyone and everyone with a big nose. Get the point?

ahh the old compare Bush to Hitler play, that's very clever, think that one up all on your own did ya?
 
Joined
Jul 26, 2005
Messages
1,011
Reaction score
306
Location
Geelong, Australia
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Libertarian
I would argue that Sep 11 could have been prevented if the CIA and FBI shared their information, if their interdepartmental pickering was not there, if airline doors had been reenforced, and piolets were allowed to carry tazers.

Lastly Septemeber 11 could have been prevented, if the U.S intelligence services had more Arabic translaters, that way more of the raw intelligence could be analysed faster.

Maybe some of this stuff is in the Patriot Act, but the problem is that there are some very dangerous powers that have been granted to government, that infringes on individual's rights.
 

Trajan Octavian Titus

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
20,915
Reaction score
546
Location
We can't stop here this is bat country!
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Australianlibertarian said:
I would argue that Sep 11 could have been prevented if the CIA and FBI shared their information, if their interdepartmental pickering was not there, if airline doors had been reenforced, and piolets were allowed to carry tazers.

Lastly Septemeber 11 could have been prevented, if the U.S intelligence services had more Arabic translaters, that way more of the raw intelligence could be analysed faster.

Maybe some of this stuff is in the Patriot Act, but the problem is that there are some very dangerous powers that have been granted to government, that infringes on individual's rights.

There is a provision in the Patriot Act that broke down the infamous Gorelick wall that if was not in place 9-11 would have been prevented by operation able danger, it also happens to be one of the provisions that is set to expire in two weeks due to the Democrats filibuster.
 

Trajan Octavian Titus

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
20,915
Reaction score
546
Location
We can't stop here this is bat country!
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Australianlibertarian said:
Well why isn't the Patriot act ammended, or a seperate bill designed to permanently end the Gorelick wall?:confused:

Because the Patriot Act does alot more than that it deals with the short comings of the immigration policies, gives more freedom to the intelligence communities to collect intel, etc etc etc.

Your concerns about civil liberties are well founded but they are being addressed check this out:

Safeguards are in place
Security Letters protect people's rights as well as fight terrorism.
By Rachel Brand and John Pistole

The Justice Department cannot secure our nation against terrorist attack unless investigators are equipped with tools that allow them to disrupt plots before they can be carried out. These same tools must protect civil liberties. National Security Letters (NSLs) satisfy both requirements.

In national security investigations, the FBI must follow up on every tip and every threat. The American people demand as much. NSLs, which predate the USA Patriot Act, enable the FBI to do so quickly and unobtrusively.

An NSL is simply a request for information. It does not authorize the FBI to conduct a search or make a seizure. If the recipient of an NSL declines to produce the requested information, the FBI cannot compel him to do so; only a federal court has that authority.

NSLs are subject to two other important limitations. First, the FBI may issue them only to obtain information relevant to an international terrorism or espionage investigation. They are not available in criminal investigations or domestic terrorism investigations.

Second, they may be used only to obtain narrow categories of information. For example, the FBI may obtain credit-card billing records to attempt to learn the identity of a terrorist suspect. An NSL may not be used to obtain the contents of an e-mail or a telephone conversation. And if the FBI went beyond these legal constraints, the recipient could challenge the NSL in court. In fact, the Justice Department supports amending the NSL statutes to make this right to challenge express where currently it is implied.

The NSL statutes do prohibit an NSL recipient from disclosing the fact that he received it. In international terrorism and espionage investigations, there are obvious reasons for this. If a terrorist were tipped off to the fact that the FBI was asking for his billing records, he might flee, destroy evidence, or even accelerate plans for an attack.

The Department of Justice is committed to protecting the USA against terrorist attack while using its authorities carefully, lawfully and consistent with civil liberties. The NSL authorities facilitate this mission.


Rachel Brand is assistant attorney general for the Office of Legal Policy at the Department of Justice. John Pistole is deputy director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

http://www.usatoday.com/printedition...pose09.art.htm
__________________
 

Stace

Boobie Jubilee
DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 9, 2005
Messages
7,254
Reaction score
364
Location
Clarksville, TN
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Moderate
I refuse to support the Patriot Act. People want to keep saying that 9/11 could have been prevented if we had had it in place beforehand, but I have yet to see any evidence that convinces me. People want to keep saying that it has prevented another attack like 9/11, but again, I haven't seen anything proving that.

You can't tell me that there aren't other measures that can be taken to make our nation more secure, without violating everyone's right to privacy and other civil liberties.
 

Trajan Octavian Titus

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
20,915
Reaction score
546
Location
We can't stop here this is bat country!
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Stace said:
I refuse to support the Patriot Act. People want to keep saying that 9/11 could have been prevented if we had had it in place beforehand, but I have yet to see any evidence that convinces me. People want to keep saying that it has prevented another attack like 9/11, but again, I haven't seen anything proving that.

You can't tell me that there aren't other measures that can be taken to make our nation more secure, without violating everyone's right to privacy and other civil liberties.

Here you go proof positive that if the patriot act had been in place 9-11 would not have occurred:

O.K. here's the deal the military intelligence gathering operation able danger had information as to the 9-11 ringleader Mohammad Atta's identity taken from the 20th hijacker's, Zacarias Moussaoui, personnel computer which was recovered after his capture early in the year 2000, however, due to the the Clinton-Gorelick wall, which prevented the F.B.I. from receiving information from intelligence gathering operations, this information was not received by the F.B.I.. The Patriot Act has a provision in it that did away with the Gorelick wall but guess what that provision is set to expire in two weeks due to the Democratic filibuster of the Patriot Act renewal bill.
 

Stace

Boobie Jubilee
DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 9, 2005
Messages
7,254
Reaction score
364
Location
Clarksville, TN
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Moderate
Trajan Octavian Titus said:
Here you go proof positive that if the patriot act had been in place 9-11 would not have occurred:

O.K. here's the deal the military intelligence gathering operation able danger had information as to the 9-11 ringleader Mohammad Atta's identity taken from the 20th hijacker's, Zacarias Moussaoui, personnel computer which was recovered after his capture early in the year 2000, however, due to the the Clinton-Gorelick wall, which prevented the F.B.I. from receiving information from intelligence gathering operations, this information was not received by the F.B.I.. The Patriot Act has a provision in it that did away with the Gorelick wall but guess what that provision is set to expire in two weeks due to the Democratic filibuster of the Patriot Act renewal bill.

And where exactly was this information obtained? Source, link? Because I can tell it wasn't quoted directly from the source, too many misspelled words.
 

Trajan Octavian Titus

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
20,915
Reaction score
546
Location
We can't stop here this is bat country!
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Stace said:
And where exactly was this information obtained? Source, link? Because I can tell it wasn't quoted directly from the source, too many misspelled words.

months and months of research on the Gorelick wall and operation able danger but I found a short cut just type in the words able danger and wikipedia read this, then seperately type Gorelick Memo and wikipedia, on google.
 
Last edited:

Trajan Octavian Titus

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
20,915
Reaction score
546
Location
We can't stop here this is bat country!
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Stace said:
I refuse to support the Patriot Act. People want to keep saying that 9/11 could have been prevented if we had had it in place beforehand, but I have yet to see any evidence that convinces me. People want to keep saying that it has prevented another attack like 9/11, but again, I haven't seen anything proving that.

You can't tell me that there aren't other measures that can be taken to make our nation more secure, without violating everyone's right to privacy and other civil liberties.

Oh and here's the attacks that the Patriot Act has prevented after it was enacted:

Attorney General Alberto R. Gonzales Highlights Success in the War on Terror at the Council on Foreign Relations
The prevention of terrorist attacks and the prosecution of the war on terrorism remain the top priorities of the Department of Justice. In the past year alone, there have been significant convictions in terrorism cases from Virginia to Texas, following a track record of success over the past four years in previous cases such as John Walker Lindh, Zacarias Moussaoui and Richard Reid, among others.

Notable 2005 cases include: Ahmed Omar Abu Ali: On November 22, 2005 in the Eastern District of Virginia, a federal jury convicted Ahmed Omar Abu Ali on all counts of a superseding indictment charging him with terrorism offenses. The jury found Ali, a 24-year-old Virginia man, guilty of conspiracy to provide material support and resources to a designated foreign terrorist organization (al Qaeda); providing material support and resources to al Qaeda; conspiracy to provide material support to terrorists; providing material support to terrorists; contribution of services to al Qaeda; receipt of funds and services from al Qaeda; conspiracy to assassinate the President of the United States; conspiracy to commit air piracy; and conspiracy to destroy aircraft. Ali faces a mandatory minimum sentence of 20 years in prison and a maximum sentence of life in prison. Sentencing is scheduled for February 17, 2006. Uzair Paracha: On November 23, 2005, a federal jury in the Southern District of New York convicted Uzair Paracha, a Pakistani national with permanent resident alien status in the United States, on charges of providing material support to al Qaeda. Evidence at trial proved that Paracha agreed with his father and two al Qaeda members to provide support to al Qaeda by, among other things, trying to help an al Qaeda member re-enter the United States to commit a terrorist act. Paracha faces a maximum sentence of 75 years in prison. Sentencing is scheduled for March 3, 2006.

Hemant Lakhani: On April 27, 2005 in the District of New Jersey, a federal jury convicted a British national, Hemant Lakhani, on charges of attempting to sell shoulder-fired missiles to what he thought was a terrorist group intent on shooting down U.S. airliners. Lakhani was arrested following an undercover sting operation involving agents from several nations. Lakhani was sentenced in September 2005 to 47 years in prison.

Ali Al-Timimi: On April 26, 2005 in the Eastern District of Virginia, Ali Al-Timimi was convicted on all 10 charges brought against him in connection with the “Virginia Jihad” case. Al-Timimi, a spiritual leader at a mosque in Northern Virginia, encouraged other individuals at a meeting to go to Pakistan to receive military training from Lashkar-e-Taibi, a designated foreign terrorist group, in order to fight U.S. troops in Afghanistan. Al-Timimi was sentenced to life in prison.

Zacarias Moussaoui: On April 24, 2005 in the Eastern District of Virginia, Zacarias Moussaoui pleaded guilty to six charges against him related to his participation in the September 11th conspiracy. Moussaoui faces a maximum penalty of death.

Eric Robert Rudolph: On April 13, 2005 in the Northern District of Georgia and the Northern District of Alabama, Eric Robert Rudolph pleaded guilty to charges related to deadly bombings in Birmingham, Alabama, and in the Atlanta area, including the bombing at the 1996 Olympics. He has been sentenced to life in prison. Rudolph provided the government with information about 250 pounds of explosives that he had hidden in the Western North Carolina area. As a result of Rudolph’s information, the government was able to locate and safely detonate the explosives.

‘INFOCOM’: On April 12, 2005 in the Northern District of Texas, a federal jury convicted Bayan Elashi, Basman Elashi, Ghassan Elashi and the Infocom Corporation on charges of conspiracy to deal in the property of a specially designated terrorist and money laundering. The activities were related to Infocom, an Internet service provider believed to be a front for Hamas. Mohammed Ali Hasan Al-Moayad and Mohammed Zayed: On March 10, 2005 a federal jury in the Eastern District of New York convicted Mohammed Ali Hasan Al-Moayad, a Yemeni cleric, and Mohammed Zayed on charges of providing, and conspiring to provide material support and resources to al Qaeda and Hamas. Al-Moayad was sentenced to 75 years in prison; Zayed was sentenced to 45 years in prison.

Rafil Dhafir: On February 10, 2005 in the Northern District of New York, a federal jury convicted Rafil Dhafir on charges of participating in a conspiracy to unlawfully send money to Iraq, in violation of U.S. sanctions, and money laundering. Dhafir was sentenced to 22 years in prison. Lynne Stewart, et al: On February 10, 2005, a federal jury in the Southern District of New York convicted attorney Lynne Stewart, Mohammed Yousry, Ahmed Abdel Sattar and Yassir al-Sirri on charges including providing, and concealing the provision of, material support or resources to terrorists. The four defendants were associates of Sheikh Abdel-Rahman, leader of the terrorist organization Islamic Group (IG). Rahman is serving a life sentence for his role in terrorist activity, including the 1993 bombing of the World Trade Center.

http://www.usdoj.gov/opa/pr/2005/Dec...5_opa_641.html

P.S. I really suggest you read the beginings of the threads that I start all of your questions have already been answered, that's why I started this thread to show why the Patriot Act needs to be Reauthorized.
 

Stace

Boobie Jubilee
DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 9, 2005
Messages
7,254
Reaction score
364
Location
Clarksville, TN
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Moderate
Trajan Octavian Titus said:
months and months of research on the Gorelick wall and operation able danger but I found a short cut just type in the words able danger and wikipedia read this, then seperately type Gorelick Memo and wikipedia, on google.

I'm still not convinced, but thank you for providing some sources. If nothing else, it makes for interesting reading.
 

Stace

Boobie Jubilee
DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 9, 2005
Messages
7,254
Reaction score
364
Location
Clarksville, TN
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Moderate
Trajan Octavian Titus said:
How can you not be convinced? It's proof positive.

How am I not convinced?

1. Though I like Wikipedia, there are certain things that I tend to take with a grain of salt, as anyone can go and edit the information.

2. There's no way to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Patriot Act would have prevented 9/11 because it wasn't in place at the time. Just like there's no way to prove that it has prevented further terror attacks because it WAS in place...if we hadn't had it, and we had been attacked again, maybe then I would be convinced, but as that is not the case....I'm not.
 

Trajan Octavian Titus

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
20,915
Reaction score
546
Location
We can't stop here this is bat country!
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Stace said:
How am I not convinced?

1. Though I like Wikipedia, there are certain things that I tend to take with a grain of salt, as anyone can go and edit the information.

2. There's no way to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Patriot Act would have prevented 9/11 because it wasn't in place at the time. Just like there's no way to prove that it has prevented further terror attacks because it WAS in place...if we hadn't had it, and we had been attacked again, maybe then I would be convinced, but as that is not the case....I'm not.

I don't think you get it able danger offered the info on Atta to the F.B.I. they said they couldn't except it because of the Gorelick memo, the Patriot Act did away with the Gorelick wall, that's proof right there, they're holding congressional hearings on operation able danger as we speak, because that bitch Gorelick was on the 911 Commission and she prevented any serious investigation into the matter to save hers and Clinton's ass. Wikipedia isn't the only source it's just the one that explains it the best google able danger it's not a fantasy it really happened.
 
Joined
Aug 11, 2005
Messages
1,670
Reaction score
17
Location
Ohio
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Re: Reathaurize the Patriot Act or Why this fillibuster cannot stand.

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
ahh the old compare Bush to Hitler play, that's very clever, think that one up all on your own did ya?

I'm not comparing anyone to Hitler. I provided a good example of what can happen when we give the executive branch the power to operate above the law, above the constitution, above the judicial branch, above the legislative branch, and above the people. The Patriot Act destroys the system of checks and balances. Perhaps this administration will use it to do good but what about the next administration, and the one after that, and the one after that? I don't think you understand the implications and risks of giving the executive branch such power. The Patriot Act keeps the threat undefined and broad and contradicts the Constitution. We simply do not need it while we have laws that allow for oversight which we do. There would be a simple fix to The Patriot Act..insert an amendment to force the executive branch to follow existing law and provide evidence regarding their opinion of suspected "terrorists" before acting and adhere to the judicial branch in such matters as the law and the Constitution dictates. As it stands whats to stop the executive branch from using the Patriot Act as an excuse to violate everyone's rights instead of just suspected terrorists? Whats to stop it from becoming anyone and everyone with a big nose? I don't want the executive branch wielding that kind of power and the people already said no to such consentrated power more than 200 years ago.
 

Trajan Octavian Titus

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
20,915
Reaction score
546
Location
We can't stop here this is bat country!
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Re: Reathaurize the Patriot Act or Why this fillibuster cannot stand.

Napoleon's Nightingale said:
I'm not comparing anyone to Hitler. I provided a good example of what can happen when we give the executive branch the power to operate above the law, above the constitution, above the judicial branch, above the legislative branch, and above the people. The Patriot Act destroys the system of checks and balances. Perhaps this administration will use it to do good but what about the next administration, and the one after that, and the one after that? I don't think you understand the implications and risks of giving the executive branch such power. The Patriot Act keeps the threat undefined and broad and contradicts the Constitution. We simply do not need it while we have laws that allow for oversight which we do. There would be a simple fix to The Patriot Act..insert an amendment to force the executive branch to follow existing law and provide evidence regarding their opinion of suspected "terrorists" before acting and adhere to the judicial branch in such matters as the law and the Constitution dictates. As it stands whats to stop the executive branch from using the Patriot Act as an excuse to violate everyone's rights instead of just suspected terrorists? Whats to stop it from becoming anyone and everyone with a big nose? I don't want the executive branch wielding that kind of power and the people already said no to such consentrated power more than 200 years ago.


I don't care about all this I have proven beyond the shadow of a doubt in numerous posts that the Patriot Act would have prevented 9-11 and has prevented numerous other terrorist attacks since its inception; furthermore, the Supreme Court and the 4th district courts have ruled that the president has broader constitutional powers to use any means necessary to provide security to the nation during wartime it's been this way since Abraham Lincoln suspended Habeas Corpus during the civil war and F.D.R. locked up the Japanese in internment camps during WW2. You're trying to fight against one hundred odd years of legal precedent. Simply put you have no case.
 
Last edited:

JustMyPOV

Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2005
Messages
143
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
At this point, there doesn't even have to be a vote to extend the PA for the three month period. Those participating in the fillibuster have already agreed, by unanimous consent to the three month extention. The only way that the PA is going to expire is if the Republican leadership allows it to.
 
Joined
Aug 11, 2005
Messages
1,670
Reaction score
17
Location
Ohio
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Re: Reathaurize the Patriot Act or Why this fillibuster cannot stand.

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
I don't care about all this I have proven beyond the shadow of a doubt in numerous posts that the Patriot Act would have prevented 9-11 and has prevented numerous other terrorist attacks since its inception; furthermore, the Supreme Court and the 4th district courts have ruled that the president has broader constitutional powers to use any means necessary to provide security to the nation during wartime it's been this way since Abraham Lincoln suspended Habeas Corpus during the civil war and F.D.R. locked up the Japanese in internment camps during WW2. You're trying to fight against one hundred odd years of legal precedent. Simply put you have no case.


You've done no such thing..you can't prove a negative. You're applying the golden glory of 20/20 hindsight and the CIA has been drawing names out of a hat for years and it was exposed when 4 of the accussed hijackers were found alive, kicking, and without any links to Al Qaeda in Morocco and Saudi Arabia. The Patriot Act hasn't changed anything. FDR and Abraham Lincoln never demanded that those polices be made permanent, unlike Bush, and the Patriot Act is not restricted by peacetime. The Supreme Court has not ruled one way or the other on the legality of this act and since this administration has become an expert at sweeping it's constitutionally bankrput and illegal policies and actions under the rug, at least until they're leaked to the press, no one knows whats going on here. This administration does not believe in oversight, the seperation of powers, or in an executive branch bound by the articles of the Constitution and that has been made abundantly clear. It is you who has no case sir. This is supposed to be a republic not a monarchy.
 

Trajan Octavian Titus

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
20,915
Reaction score
546
Location
We can't stop here this is bat country!
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
JustMyPOV said:
At this point, there doesn't even have to be a vote to extend the PA for the three month period. Those participating in the fillibuster have already agreed, by unanimous consent to the three month extention. The only way that the PA is going to expire is if the Republican leadership allows it to.

lmfao ya it's the Republicans fault that the Democrats are filibustering the Patriot Act and putting the lives of Americans at risk for the sake of partisan politics. Gotta love that liberal logic.
 

Trajan Octavian Titus

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
20,915
Reaction score
546
Location
We can't stop here this is bat country!
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Re: Reathaurize the Patriot Act or Why this fillibuster cannot stand.

Napoleon's Nightingale said:
You've done no such thing..you can't prove a negative. You're applying the golden glory of 20/20 hindsight and the CIA has been drawing names out of a hat for years and it was exposed when 4 of the accussed hijackers were found alive, kicking, and without any links to Al Qaeda in Morocco and Saudi Arabia. The Patriot Act hasn't changed anything. FDR and Abraham Lincoln never demanded that those polices be made permanent, unlike Bush, and the Patriot Act is not restricted by peacetime. The Supreme Court has not ruled one way or the other on the legality of this act and since this administration has become an expert at sweeping it's constitutionally bankrput and illegal policies and actions under the rug, at least until they're leaked to the press, no one knows whats going on here. This administration does not believe in oversight, the seperation of powers, or in an executive branch bound by the articles of the Constitution and that has been made abundantly clear. It is you who has no case sir. This is supposed to be a republic not a monarchy.

Oh I haven't have I oh it is is it well then color me the Mesiah because I have done the impossible so behold and stand in aww of my miracle oh yee of little knowledge:

O.K. here's the deal the military intelligence gathering operation able danger had information as to the 9-11 ringleader Mohammad Atta's identity taken from the 20th hijacker's, Zacarias Moussaoui, personnel computer which was recovered after his capture early in the year 2000, however, due to the the Clinton-Gorelick wall, which prevented the F.B.I. from receiving information from intelligence gathering operations, this information was not received by the F.B.I.. The Patriot Act has a provision in it that did away with the Gorelick wall but guess what that provision is set to expire in two weeks due to the Democratic filibuster of the Patriot Act renewal bill.

And the Supreme Court has not ruled on the Patriot Act specifically but the Supreme Court and the 4th district courts HAVE ruled that the president has broader constitutional powers to use any and all means to provide for the security of the nation during war time and the phone tapping and Patriot act would certainly fall under the category of any means to secure the nation so like I said you have no case.
 
Last edited:
Joined
Aug 11, 2005
Messages
1,670
Reaction score
17
Location
Ohio
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Re: Reathaurize the Patriot Act or Why this fillibuster cannot stand.

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
O.K. here's the deal the military intelligence gathering operation able danger had information as to the 9-11 ringleader Mohammad Atta's identity taken from the 20th hijacker's, Zacarias Moussaoui, personnel computer which was recovered after his capture early in the year 2000, however, due to the the Clinton-Gorelick wall, which prevented the F.B.I. from receiving information from intelligence gathering operations, this information was not received by the F.B.I.. The Patriot Act has a provision in it that did away with the Gorelick wall but guess what that provision is set to expire in two weeks due to the Democratic filibuster of the Patriot Act renewal bill.

Capturing Mohammad Atta would not have prevented 9/11. And we all know what kind of "information" the CIA cooks up. They didn't even know who most of the hijackers were even after 9/11 and we still don't know. Getting rid of the Gorelick wall would have been fruitless because the intelligence agencies didn't have a big enough budget to operate effectively and still don't. 9/11 might have been prevented if the administration had acted on the intelligence we already had ie that terrorists were planning on using planes in a terrorist attack. You've forwarded mights, maybes, and buts..not proof. It also might have helped if George Tennet was doing his job which he hasn't done.

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
And the Supreme Court has not ruled on the Patriot Act specifically but the Supreme Court and the 4th district courts HAVE ruled that the president has broader constitutional powers to use any and all means to provide for the security of the nation during war time and the phone tapping and Patriot act would certainly fall under the category of any means to secure the nation so like I said you have no case.

Constitutional powers which can only be granted and enacted by Congress. The constitution does NOT give the executive branch the power to operate above the constitution, the law, or Congress under any circumstances. So like I said, it's you who has no case.
 

oldreliable67

DP Veteran
Joined
Oct 3, 2005
Messages
4,641
Reaction score
1,102
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
You've forwarded mights, maybes, and buts..not proof.

Ah, Mr Pot, meet Mr. Kettle. Trajan and Napoleon, you're both throwing opinions as if they were facts and neither of you are offering any substantion.

NN...

9/11 might [emphasis added] have been prevented

Capturing Mohammad Atta would not have prevented 9/11.

Supposition, as are many of the other statements in your last post.

Trajan...

military intelligence gathering operation able danger had information as to the 9-11 ringleader Mohammad Atta's identity taken from the 20th hijacker's, Zacarias Moussaoui, personnel computer

Supposition - this is still not proven, merely alleged.

...and others. C'mon, guys, if it is your opinion or a supposition, thats ok, but say so. If you're holding something out as fact, then substantiate!

Thats just my opinion - YMMV!
 

Trajan Octavian Titus

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
20,915
Reaction score
546
Location
We can't stop here this is bat country!
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Re: Reathaurize the Patriot Act or Why this fillibuster cannot stand.

Napoleon's Nightingale said:
Capturing Mohammad Atta would not have prevented 9/11. And we all know what kind of "information" the CIA cooks up. They didn't even know who most of the hijackers were even after 9/11 and we still don't know. Getting rid of the Gorelick wall would have been fruitless because the intelligence agencies didn't have a big enough budget to operate effectively and still don't. 9/11 might have been prevented if the administration had acted on the intelligence we already had ie that terrorists were planning on using planes in a terrorist attack. You've forwarded mights, maybes, and buts..not proof. It also might have helped if George Tennet was doing his job which he hasn't done.

Ya catching Mohammad Atta the ringleader of the 9-11 plot would not have stopped 9-11 gimme a break you're really stretching now.


Napoleon's Nightingale said:
Constitutional powers which can only be granted and enacted by Congress. The constitution does NOT give the executive branch the power to operate above the constitution, the law, or Congress under any circumstances. So like I said, it's you who has no case.

It's called the inherent powers clause that gives the president the power to use all means by which to secure the nation look it up; furthermore,
FISA doesn't apply to overseas these were overseas phone calls coming into the U.S. by known AlQaeda suspect plus you haven't proven that those who recieved those phone calls in the U.S. are even U.S. citizens subject to protection under the Bill of Rights.
 

JustMyPOV

Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2005
Messages
143
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Trajan Octavian Titus said:
lmfao ya it's the Republicans fault that the Democrats are filibustering the Patriot Act and putting the lives of Americans at risk for the sake of partisan politics. Gotta love that liberal logic.

What's liberal about it? They have the PA, if they choose to keep it, for 3 more months which will allow Senate debate for a permanent version that is acceptable to all involved. The only way it's going to expire is if they opt not to take the 3 month extention. It is irresponsible of the president and the Senate GOP leadership to play political games with such a vital tool for law enforcement.

The Senate had already passed a version of the PA UNANIMOUSLY, then the GOP leadership took it into conference and changed it. They bring it back at the last possible second, so that no debate can take place on the new version and now they're playing a dangerous game of "chicken" with legislation vital to the safety and security of this nation.

Once again, THEY HAVE A 3 MONTH EXTENTION of the PA on the table and ready to go. If the Republicans don't want to see the expiration of this vital set of tools, all they have to do is accept it and allow for debate on the new version before the more permanent extention is made.
 
Top Bottom