• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Reasons to Reject Atheism

Angel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Once a profound cry of despair worthy of the deepest respect, atheism, under the influence of Dawkins, Dennett, Harris and Krauss (formerly Hitchens), the self-styled "New Atheists" of the new millennium -- under this pernicious influence, I say, atheism has become a strident exercise in ignorance, by ignorance, and for ignorance.

Some of the stupidest assertions ever made by Man have been made in the last fifteen years in the spirit and letter of New Atheism by educated and intelligent people.

Atheism today is self-contradictory mental pabulum for those incapable of independent critical thinking.

Atheism today is conflated with thoughtless anti-theism without a shred of self=awareness.

Atheism today is anti-religionism scared witless by the tragic historical event of 9/11.

Atheism today is without a single argument

Atheism today is without the courage of its convictions, in vociferous in self-denial that it even constitutes a belief.

Atheism today is just surly, mean-spirited lack of imagination on a mission.

Atheism today is a tale told by an idiot in the mantle of a skeptic.

The prosecution rests.

So no actual evidence then.

Not even any evidence of any of the things you want to rant about such as showing anything self contradictory or not self aware etc.

What an utterly pathetic wish list.

So no actual evidence then.

Not even any evidence of any of the things you want to rant about such as showing anything self contradictory or not self aware etc.

What an utterly pathetic wish list.
All the loud vocal atheists on the internet are my evidence, and the evidence is overwhelmingly in favor of the OP thesis.
Just observe the replies to come.

Once a profound cry of despair worthy of the deepest respect, atheism, under the influence of Dawkins, Dennett, Harris and Krauss (formerly Hitchens), the self-styled "New Atheists" of the new millennium -- under this pernicious influence, I say, atheism has become a strident exercise in ignorance, by ignorance, and for ignorance.

No, it's not become that to any intellectually honest, rational adult, but that has become a shiny bauble of a talking point for those with no actual interest in honest discussion.
Some of the stupidest assertions ever made by Man have been made in the last fifteen years in the spirit and letter of New Atheism by educated and intelligent people.

A non-qualifiable assertion intended to appeal to emotion. WHAT a surprise.
Atheism today is self-contradictory mental pabulum for those incapable of independent critical thinking.

A. No, it's not, nor can you show that it is.
B. Given that criteria, you simply wouldn't know in any case.
Atheism today is conflated with thoughtless anti-theism without a shred of self=awareness.

Only by stupid people.
Atheism today is anti-religionism scared witless by the tragic historical event of 9/11.

Yet another unsupported and unsupportable bare assertion begging for credibility.

Belies a laughable pig-ignorance of what atheism actually is.
Atheism today is without the courage of its convictions, in vociferous in self-denial that it even constitutes a belief.

Atheism is not a belief. This has been demonstrated to you countless times here, and yet you continually repeat the tard-mantra that it is.

Yet another unsupported and unsupportable bare assertion begging for credibility.

Yet another unsupported and unsupportable bare assertion begging for credibility offered by a laughably intellectually dishonest poster.
The prosecution rests.

You haven't offered any 'prosecution'; just mindless braying and self-important faux-intellectual posturing, begging to be taken seriously by those who see right through you and whose attention you desperately seem to crave.

heres-that-attention-you-ordered-14922290.jpg

LOL someone seems bitter today.

Atheists used to be "free thinkers" who did not want to be pushed around by the authorities and experts. It's just the opposite today. The high priests of Scientism are now the authorities and experts, instead of the Catholic church. The free thinkers now are those of us who reject both dogmatic religion and dogmatic atheism.

Some people get joy out being atheists because it makes them feel intellectually superior. It gives them whole mobs of people to look down at. Religious believers tend not to worry that much about scientific accuracy, so they make a good target for atheistic contempt.

Our society now has a big crowd of people who claim to "love science," who put their blind faith in Big Science. They tend to love atheism also.

Perhaps the thread title would have been more felicitously rendered: "Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them."

The prosecution rests.

All but 2 of those apply to today's theism, at least as pushed by some of the most famous of today's theists. 9/11 was God's punishment for allowing gays, abortion, etc., remember?
https://www.truthorfiction.com/falwell-robertson-wtc/

(Falwell has been replaced by his kid, just as Hitchens was replaced by Krauss.)

Atheism is the lack of belief in a god or gods. There is nothing else to it than that.

The prosecution rests.

Experiencing self-doubt today? Why would someone who is secure about an everlasting life in heaven worry about some clueless heathens? How does that effect your eternity?

All but 2 of those apply to today's theism, at least as pushed by some of the most famous of today's theists. 9/11 was God's punishment for allowing gays, abortion, etc., remember?
https://www.truthorfiction.com/falwell-robertson-wtc/

(Falwell has been replaced by his kid, just as Hitchens was replaced by Krauss.)
Perhaps. But that thesis already has a thread. This thesis needed a thread of its own.
https://www.debatepolitics.com/beliefs-and-skepticism/340376-reasons-reject-christianity.html

The prosecution rests.

Atheism is none of those things.

It is the rejection of a single proposition, nothing more.

Theist proposition : I believe a God or Gods exists
Atheist response : I do not believe that is true. I do not see enough evidence, for me, to be able to justify such a belief.

This list is just an example of you attributing tons of other characteristics on many people. You do all of this because a word that describes a response an individual has, to a single question.

Experiencing self-doubt today? Why would someone who is secure about an everlasting life in heaven worry about some clueless heathens? How does that effect your eternity?
Who is the "someone" you refer to? You clearly know nothing about me or my posts here in this forum. You're unwittingly making one of the points in the OP.

Perhaps. But that thesis already has a thread. This thesis needed a thread of its own.
https://www.debatepolitics.com/beliefs-and-skepticism/340376-reasons-reject-christianity.html

I wasn't providing reasons to reject Christianity. The point was that most of your OP has more than a hint of 'pot calling kettle black'. Rabid, intolerant theism isn't much different than rabid, intolerant atheism. Both try to persecute while complaining that they are being persecuted.

The OP only likes atheism as a cry of despair. Atheism is not a cry of anything and never has been. It's simply a position in regard to belief in god. It's merely a view of reality that lacks gods. Where anyone takes off from there has nothing to do with atheism.

Then there is nothing to it.

Yes, the lack of belief is what there is to it. Just like belief in god(s) is all there is to theism. They are different belief positions on god(s). But your complaints against atheism betray that you can't accept that is all there is to it.

I wasn't providing reasons to reject Christianity. The point was that most of your OP has more than a hint of 'pot calling kettle black'. Rabid, intolerant theism isn't much different than rabid, intolerant atheism. Both try to persecute while complaining that they are being persecuted.
I understood your post, but I'm not a "rabid, intolerant theist," I'm a rabid tolerant theist setting a kettle to boil and noting its shrill gaseous whistle.
Keep your eye on the atheist replies to the OP; they will make the OP case without any further help from me.

The OP only likes atheism as a cry of despair. Atheism is not a cry of anything and never has been. It's simply a position in regard to belief in god. It's merely a view of reality that lacks gods. Where anyone takes off from there has nothing to do with atheism.
"Simply" is the operative word.

I understood your post, but I'm not a "rabid, intolerant theist,"

I wasn't referring to you, personally. Your attitude towards "new atheists" is similar to my attitude towards the ideas and politics of the "religious right" - a demonstrably intolerant group.

I'm a rabid tolerant theist setting a kettle to boil and noting its shrill gaseous whistle.
Keep your eye on the atheist replies to the OP; they will make the OP case without any further help from me.

Okay, enjoy...

Back
Top Bottom