• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Reasons for Religions

shuamort said:
OK, I'm going to make a statement:

If the earth should keep spinning tomorrow and the sun shines all along the equator, my divinity shall be proved and it shall be noted that I am GOD. If the earth does not, then it is proven that my statement is false.

Do you accept that statement? If not, why not?

I do not understand....are you asking if I believe that the fact that we exist, proves that there is a God.

laska said:
I do not understand....are you asking if I believe that the fact that we exist, proves that there is a God.
No, I'm stating that should the earth spin and the sun shine on the equator tomorrow, that my statement holds true that I am divine and GOD. If my statement is false and the earth doesn't spin and/or the sun doesn't shine on the equator, then I am not divine nor am I GOD.

Now, in your opinion, do you agree with that statement? Do you agree that if those two things happen tomorrow, that I am GOD?

"Again, I am talking about direct revelation and not just belief."

I am happy for you to continue to live in your delusion where you
believe some mythical creature has private communication with you,
although you might be safer within a secure establishment.

"There is no way to prove anything from God without it being revealed from
God."

To me, that is a good statement of why rational people dismiss religion.

What you believe is of no concern to me, as long as you don't
force your beliefs on others.

I would point out that your state of "knowing you are right" has
been used as justification throughout the ages for holding back
progress and dispensing terror, from the inquisition to today's
religious extremists and their love of bombs and destruction.

Shuamart, I guess I will have to say no on both questions, I guess....

Thinker, of course I would never force my beliefs on anyone, I believe in free agency. All of my posts on this whole thread is stating that people who do this are following their own wills and are delusional. It is not just religious superstition that does this: Communism, Cambodia, Nazi Germany, etc.

laska said:
Thinker, of course I would never force my beliefs on anyone, I believe in free agency.

In that case, enjoy your beliefs. Sadly, many who share your basic premise are
not so enlightened and attempt to corrupt or sometimes succeed in corrupting
civil laws to enshrine those beliefs: abortion, gay marriage, censorship,
"creationism", freedom from religion,...

I do not believe it is much of a step from rhetoric such as Bush and other use in
the name of "faith", to events such as the recent hanging of children in Iran.

Back
Top Bottom