• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Real life obama care story

qqooyx.jpg

The rules are things like cap the annual premiums. rate, can't be dropped due high medical cost as long you pay your premiums on time, your children upto age 25 are covered and cannot be denied due to pre-existing conditions.
Sounds like a sure fire way to bankrupt any business foolish enough to participate. But that is the point of Obamacare.

So they can sign up for the exchanges starting October first? They will owe the fine that's for sure eh?

Since you title yourself as "old guy" I would assume you are old enough to be on Medicare in which case you should know that what you posted is total bull****. Your HMO/PPO ot PFFS hasn't been affected at all by Obamacare. Any Doctor has the right to decide to stop taking Medicare but that's their decision, not Obama's decision.

You assume too much

The point is my parents prior insurance was accepted by these docs but Obama care has made that change so they are not able to keep their insurance they liked or their docs they liked as Obama promised.

How could Obama promise the actions of one specific Doctor? They could have kept their Doctor if the Doctor signed up for their plan. Apparently he chose not to. So why don't you blame the Doctor, not Obama.

Obama care was passed on the premise that it would stop the rising cost of health care but it has only exacerbated the problem. It is my understanding that one reason IBM and other comps are getting rid of their insurance plans is because part of the 3000 page Obama care bill taxes them for these so called Cadillac plans and that is why they have been forced to change or even dump them altogether. You say health insurance premiums have risen 131% in the last 10 years but IBM says they are forecasting a gain twice that big in the next ten years so it seems Obama care took a bad situation and made it worse.

So assuming the ACA were to be repealed, what would that do to your folks insurance? Obamacare isn't in effect until 2014, I thought. So why are they losing providers now?

You seem to be very confused about what ObamaCare actually is...Obamacare is nothing but a group of Privately held insurance companies that have to abide by certain rules in order to be in the exchange program. The rules are things like cap the annual premiums. rate, can't be dropped due high medical cost as long you pay your premiums on time, your children upto age 25 are covered and cannot be denied due to pre-existing conditions. Now if these companies like these rule they can be in the exchange or not they can go their separate ways but won't get the pool of new customers.

Ignorance breads fear... if people actually take time to know, learn and understand they will see the world is not as scary as they make it out to be.

As for your other comment...well not exactly comment more like trite..

The saying goes.... In god we trust...rest of you bring Data and proof!!

Diving Mullah

I think the problem is that, like individuals, the companies do NOT get to opt out. If everyone could opt out, everyone would opt out, problem solved. No obamacare.

Shouldn't you be blaming IBM for cutting off funding for their retirees' insurance? If your parents can't afford the annual fee they can receive a subsidy to pay the fees. and what happened to their Medicare?

So you dont know whats going on so you come here and make a thread claiming Obama took your parents healthcare away! Great Great job!

The Towers Watson plan is going to cover Dental, Vision and prescriptions. Medicare will have to cover everything else.

The plan that the retirees had covered all of that AND medical that medicare didn't cover.

IBM Moves Retirees to Insurance Exchange as Costs Rise - Bloomberg

In a nutshell, it was going to be too expensive for IBM to keep all the retirees on their old plan so they dumped it for the elderly and the reason they did so is........Obamacare.

they dumped it for the elderly and the reason they did so is........Obamacare.
and this will continue to happen at an ever accelerating rate. Single payer baby yeah!

Obama care was passed on the premise that it would stop the rising cost of health care but it has only exacerbated the problem. It is my understanding that one reason IBM and other comps are getting rid of their insurance plans is because part of the 3000 page Obama care bill taxes them for these so called Cadillac plans and that is why they have been forced to change or even dump them altogether. You say health insurance premiums have risen 131% in the last 10 years but IBM says they are forecasting a gain twice that big in the next ten years so it seems Obama care took a bad situation and made it worse.

Cadillat taxes are not untill 2018 or so.

and Obamacare IS NOT IN EFFECT YET.

CEO CARE rules the land now...........Dont be distracted.

Health insurance companies will be extinct sooner than you can imagine.
That's the plan.

What you can't imagine is how bad your government provided healthcare is going to be.
Well, if you're connected, if you're wealthy, or if you can vote an exemption for yourself... no worries. The rest will have to suck it up and be miserable, but equal.

Isn't equality a wonderful thing? When applied economically, it brings out the lowest common denominator. Hoooray!

Cadillat taxes are not untill 2018 or so.

and Obamacare IS NOT IN EFFECT YET.

CEO CARE rules the land now...........Dont be distracted.
ObamaKare not in effect yet? Really? Is that why employers are reducing hours to less than 40 per week and not hiring? Is that why coverage is skyrocketing?

Just wait until we have to bend over and take The Full Monty.

How could Obama promise the actions of one specific Doctor? They could have kept their Doctor if the Doctor signed up for their plan. Apparently he chose not to. So why don't you blame the Doctor, not Obama.

The docs never did take Medicare patients and since Obama forced my parents onto Medicare I blame him.

So assuming the ACA were to be repealed, what would that do to your folks insurance? Obamacare isn't in effect until 2014, I thought. So why are they losing providers now?

Everything changes Oct 1st. That is when the exchanges are in effect and that is when IBM is making its old retirees pick a new plan.

You seem to be very confused about what ObamaCare actually is...Obamacare is nothing but a group of Privately held insurance companies that have to abide by certain rules in order to be in the exchange program. The rules are things like cap the annual premiums. rate, can't be dropped due high medical cost as long you pay your premiums on time, your children upto age 25 are covered and cannot be denied due to pre-existing conditions. Now if these companies like these rule they can be in the exchange or not they can go their separate ways but won't get the pool of new customers.

Ignorance breads fear... if people actually take time to know, learn and understand they will see the world is not as scary as they make it out to be.

As for your other comment...well not exactly comment more like trite..

The saying goes.... In god we trust...rest of you bring Data and proof!!

Diving Mullah

The point of the OP was that Obama promised you could keep your insurance and your docs and that is not what is happening to my mom and dad.

I'm learning more on this all the time and IBM is just one of many companies dumping retirees onto Medicare because they expect insurance premiums to triple by 2020. Now ask yourself what has changed and why are insurance rates going to triple. No coincidence that Obama care is the new system I think.

"IBM told retirees that its current retiree coverage will end for Medicare-eligible retirees after Dec. 31, 2013, according to documents reviewed by The Wall Street Journal and confirmed by IBM.

"Cost increases under our current retirement group health care plan are no longer sustainable for you," IBM said in the notices. "Health care costs under IBM's current plan options for Medicare eligible retirees will nearly triple by 2020, significantly impacting your premium and out of pocket costs," the notice said.

Exchanges such as Extend Health generally present policies from a range of insurers and let participants choose what best meets their needs and budgets. The aim is to create competition that keeps costs down.

Instead of subsidizing retiree health premiums directly, IBM will give retirees an annual contribution via a health retirement account that they can use to buy Medicare Advantage plans and supplemental Medicare policies on the exchange, as well as pay for other medical expenses. Retirees who don't enroll in a plan through Extend Health won't receive the subsidy.
The pace has picked up recently, with IBM among a growing number of large, successful companies that are moving retirees to exchanges. Extend Health said it has signed up about 300 companies, including large corporations such as DuPont Co. DD +1.36%and Caterpillar Inc. CAT +0.88%

IBM to Move Retirees Off Health Plan - WSJ.com

The point of the OP was that Obama promised you could keep your insurance and your docs and that is not what is happening to my mom and dad.

I took the retirement insurance from where I used to work and I'm worried over that as well.

No where in the article about IBM did it reference Obamacare or blame changing insurance providers on Obamacare.
That's because IBM is a business, and they aren't stupid. If you ask yourself what has changed that may have required IBM to alter their insurance coverage, and you can't see the ACA as the the thing that forced the alteration, then you're wearing blinders. Willingly.

That's because IBM is a business, and they aren't stupid. If you ask yourself what has changed that may have required IBM to alter their insurance coverage, and you can't see the ACA as the the thing that forced the alteration, then you're wearing blinders. Willingly.

What has changed is the # of retirees who are above a certain age, making their health care cost skyrocket.

What has changed is the # of retirees who are above a certain age, making their health care cost skyrocket.
There's that. These people should be killed in advance of any significant claims. Just the IBM folks. I never, ever worked for IBM, so don't include me in that picture. I colluded with Hewlett Packard. I'm fine. Seriously, do you really think the ACA hasn't had a significant impact? Really? Sure, rates have been going up for years - but look at the increases since the ACA became law. Do you honestly think there's no correlation at all?

There's that. These people should be killed in advance of any significant claims. Just the IBM folks. I never, ever worked for IBM, so don't include me in that picture. I colluded with Hewlett Packard. I'm fine. Seriously, do you really think the ACA hasn't had a significant impact? Really? Sure, rates have been going up for years - but look at the increases since the ACA became law. Do you honestly think there's no correlation at all?

The rate of increase in health care costs has gone down since it was passed

The rate of increase in health care costs has gone down since it was passed
Let's not get into the rate of increase. Rates increased rather dramatically before the ACA became law in anticipation of it. I saw it, and so did millions of others. I'm out. I'll check back later.

Back
Top Bottom