• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Real life friends

Do you have friends on the opposite side of the isle

• I am conservative but have lib friends

Votes: 16 45.7%
  • I am conservative and hav few if any lib friends

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • I am liberal but have con friends

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • I am liberal and have few if any con friends

Votes: 4 11.4%

• Total voters

sawyerloggingon

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
Political Leaning
Independent
I just got off the phone with a friend of mine who is very lib and loves Obama and it got me wondering about other people in this forum. Some of you seem to hate people on the other side of the isle and I am wondering how this effects your social life. IMO more libs hate cons than visa versa and shun them but lets see.

I have friends from all sides of the spectrum.

I don't think any of us 'hate' each other, and we've gotten into some seriously hot arguments. But at the end of it all, we agree to disagree on certain things, put it aside and go on.

I think the venom on the internet is from people spewing out their anger at unknown faces. I highly doubt most people would speak to people they know like that, no matter how vehemently they disagree politically.

And your poll is missing any number of variables of the liberal/conservative relationships.

I have friends from all sides of the spectrum.

I don't think any of us 'hate' each other, and we've gotten into some seriously hot arguments. But at the end of it all, we agree to disagree on certain things, put it aside and go on.

I think the venom on the internet is from people spewing out their anger at unknown faces. I highly doubt most people would speak to people they know like that, no matter how vehemently they disagree politically.

And your poll is missing any number of variables of the liberal/conservative relationships.

I know the poll is missing variances but I just stuck with the basics. There is no way I could come up with every scenario. I agree with you that the internet lets people spew venom they would not say IRL and that is one of the reasons for my poll. I am curious if some of the most foaming at the mouth partisans in here have a real life that is a little or even a lot different.

I've always found that when I question my motivation for holding a certain belief it's important to have someone around who is so bat**** crazy on the subject that it puts everything back in perspective.

Some of my family members are very progressive. Interestingly, they get their opinions from the New Yorker and actually don't keep up with politics much, even local politics. But they by-golly have their strong opinions anyway!

There are some topics I avoid and others that I refuse to respond to. For example, last Christmas at a family gathering and out of nowhere, someone I love announced, "Bush is an idiot." I just didn't say anything. Sometimes love requires silence, and besides, somebody who offers up an unsolicited opinion apropos of nothing very often doesn't deserve "engagement."

I have friends on both sides of the aisle, but being in Texas, the balance tends to be more toward the conservative side, just as a matter of regional culture. The friends I have who are democrats are usually quite easy for me to find common ground with, with the exception of one- with him, I just avoid discussing politics altogether, and gravitate more toward philosophical and religious discussions.

I've always found that when I question my motivation for holding a certain belief it's important to have someone around who is so bat**** crazy on the subject that it puts everything back in perspective.

All my friends are bat**** crazy regardless of political leanings. :lol:

I have friends on both sides of the aisle, but being in Texas, the balance tends to be more toward the conservative side, just as a matter of regional culture. The friends I have who are democrats are usually quite easy for me to find common ground with, with the exception of one- with him, I just avoid discussing politics altogether, and gravitate more toward philosophical and religious discussions.

Same thing In Idaho, most people are conservative but there are definitely hard core libs in me and my wife's circle of friends. I like to think since we are friends they don't have the same hateful opinions of conservatives that many libs in here express. The guy I mentioned in the OP called me to invite me on a kayak camp fishing trip next week so I don't think so but then again he could be just trying to get me out in the middle of nowhere to murder me I guess.:lol:

I have a couple buddies who are libertarians, but my family, wife and closest friends are conservatives.

I just got off the phone with a friend of mine who is very lib and loves Obama and it got me wondering about other people in this forum. Some of you seem to hate people on the other side of the isle and I am wondering how this effects your social life. IMO more libs hate cons than visa versa and shun them but lets see.

I can not answer the poll, as I have friends on both sides, and am personally on neither side. My wife's family (parents and 4 other siblings) are all pretty extremist left, as is my Uncle. I have other friends that are pretty extreme right. I generally do not talk politics with any of them as some make the dumbest posters here seem quite intelligent when it comes to such topics. Though my experience has been the extreme left are always trying to start some sort of discussion to pick a fight. As an example when my wife's parents were here last she was rambling on about the right and being homophobes because of the anti-gay marriage stuff. To which I responded: Some might be, some might simply have their religion guiding them without thinking, but either way they are wrong, it should be legal. She expected me to be against it, because to her (and most of the other extreme left I know in real life) if you are not 100% in agreement with them, you MUST be a registered (R) and stand against everything they believe. She did it with a few topics and it always ended up the same, she never got the fight she was trying to start. Even my wife laughed about it (she's the only in their family that isn't extreme left)...

I have friends of all political stripes. My bests friends are both conservative. I don't consider a persons politics in friendship. Seem odd to me that anyone would.

I am a conservative college student so yeah I have liberal friends.

I know the poll is missing variances but I just stuck with the basics. There is no way I could come up with every scenario. I agree with you that the internet lets people spew venom they would not say IRL and that is one of the reasons for my poll. I am curious if some of the most foaming at the mouth partisans in here have a real life that is a little or even a lot different.

You clearly have better friends than I do :2razz:

I don't "hate" anyone on the other side or who has opposing views - I can strongly disagree with someone who hasn't matured enough to discard the shackles of liberalism without hating them.

Debate is very entertaining, if also frustrating at times - people of like minds get bored with each other pretty quickly.

I've lived in SC and MA. Yeah it is safe to say I have friends from both sides.

i'm independent, and have friends of all political stripes.

There are some topics I avoid and others that I refuse to respond to. For example, last Christmas at a family gathering and out of nowhere, someone I love announced, "Bush is an idiot." I just didn't say anything.

Sometimes, the Jesus approach is best- "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do". :lol:

A very large proportion ( probably about 30-40%) of my friends are conservatives. Of course, it doesn't mean exactly the same thing here as it does everywhere else.

... Of course, it doesn't mean exactly the same thing here as it does everywhere else.

Indeed. I imagine a lot of the conservatives in New England, for example, are more liberal than some of the liberals in more conservative states.

I have one friend I know that leans to the left, but other than that, I can honestly say that I don't know or care.

I avoid talking politics with my friends and family. There's a reason for that. I do know that my friends are all over the place politically, and my father is a libertarian even though he'd NEVER admit it.

I have Liberal friends but we rarely talk politics.

I really wish there was an "other" choice. I am a libertarian, registered as such, and my views can swing anywhere from liberal to conservative on the spectrum dependent upon the issue. I'm a Libertarian because they are the closest to any semblance of following the constitution which is my major issue, and my "lean" tends to go with the founding document. I have friends on all sides of the aisle, they are entitled to their opinions as am I, and we have heated discussions but at the end of the day they are all good people, or they wouldn't be in my life.

I'm liberal and so are all of my close friends (though most of them more than I am). It's not because I dislike conservatives though. One of my best friends in college was very conservative and we got along fine. We've drifted apart since then though.

It has always been my experience that in the real world people are a lot more than their political opinions .... so I never really worry too much about that.

Back
Top Bottom