• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

real icing or whipped cream icing?

real icing or whipped cream "icing"

• Total voters

Helix

Administrator
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
many years ago, when a child marked off another year, he or she could expect to celebrate the passing of another year with a properly iced cake. in fact, those kids would sometimes cut the cake away, and eat the icing (preferring the thickest part) which would stand on its own without the cake. edge pieces were coveted prizes.

then came 1939, the year Adolph Hitler concocted a plan to ruin every child's birthday : whipped cream icing. it looks like icing. however, as the poor child takes the first bite, he realizes that he's been robbed : it's just fake whipped cream icing.

Hitler's plan ruined many a birthday in Germany. at the end of WWII, the practice was quarantined to Soviet held East Germany, where the Soviets were unable to completely eradicate the travesty of a whipped cream "iced" birthday cake.

in 1989, the Berlin wall fell, and the cake ruse made its slow creep westward, arriving in America in 1993 at my buddy's graduation party. i went to get a slice of a perfectly delicious looking cake, only to find that i had been duped : that's not icing. it's whipped ****ing cream (which is not icing.) i stood stunned in the back yard, knowing that i'd been cheated. i looked around, but others seemed not to notice. they were actually eating it.

so anyway just wanted to get your take on it : real, American icing, or whipped cream fakery?

Is it safe to assume that you're also no fan of meringue?

many years ago, when a child marked off another year, he or she could expect to celebrate the passing of another year with a properly iced cake. in fact, those kids would sometimes cut the cake away, and eat the icing (preferring the thickest part) which would stand on its own without the cake. edge pieces were coveted prizes.

then came 1939, the year Adolph Hitler concocted a plan to ruin every child's birthday : whipped cream icing. it looks like icing. however, as the poor child takes the first bite, he realizes that he's been robbed : it's just fake whipped cream icing.

Hitler's plan ruined many a birthday in Germany. at the end of WWII, the practice was quarantined to Soviet held East Germany, where the Soviets were unable to completely eradicate the travesty of a whipped cream "iced" birthday cake.

in 1989, the Berlin wall fell, and the cake ruse made its slow creep westward, arriving in America in 1993 at my buddy's graduation party. i went to get a slice of a perfectly delicious looking cake, only to find that i had been duped : that's not icing. it's whipped ****ing cream (which is not icing.) i stood stunned in the back yard, knowing that i'd been cheated. i looked around, but others seemed not to notice. they were actually eating it.

so anyway just wanted to get your take on it : real, American icing, or whipped cream fakery?

I love whipped cream icing. Good stuff. Never really was a fan of traditional icing.

Real icing is just too darned sweet. I vote for whipped cream frosting.

Is it safe to assume that you're also no fan of meringue?

not sure. does it have real icing that can stand on its own once the unnecessary other stuff is cut away?

My take on it is that I was a backwards child. I would cut the cake away and then eat the cake while leaving a right angled slab of icing on the plate.

Anyhow, I still do the same with cake many years later. If there was whipped cream to be had, I most certainly would add a dallop to my cake though.

My take on it is that I was a backwards child. I would cut the cake away and then eat the cake while leaving a right angled slab of icing on the plate.

Anyhow, I still do the same with cake many years later. If there was whipped cream to be had, I most certainly would add a dallop to my cake though.

i was the opposite. i especially like iced brownies; maybe i'm alone in my preference. oh well, i guess that means the edge pieces are safe.

I don't use either personally. The tradition of giving kids a diabetic coma on their birthdays is a throwback to more scarce times when sweets were a rare treat and they didn't have regular access to sugar.

i was the opposite. i especially like iced brownies; maybe i'm alone in my preference. oh well, i guess that means the edge pieces are safe.

yup. Just give me a piece from the center of the cake. If it a cake with more than one layer bound together with some icing, fine I am ok with that, but I more than likely will scrape off the icing from the top, especially if it is very thick.

Now mind you, a carrot cake with a good cream cheese icing is an entirely different story - but I do not think that would qualify as "real American icing".

I prefer cake without any icing/frosting.

Now icing has other uses...

yup. Just give me a piece from the center of the cake. If it a cake with more than one layer bound together with some icing, fine I am ok with that, but I more than likely will scrape off the icing from the top, especially if it is very thick.

Now mind you, a carrot cake with a good cream cheese icing is an entirely different story - but I do not think that would qualify as "real American icing".

carrot cake might be an exception, but the last time i had it, i think the icing was real. can't remember for sure; it's been a while.

not sure. does it have real icing that can stand on its own once the unnecessary other stuff is cut away?

I hadn't really given it consideration. I suppose one could make a lemon meringue pie and instead of the lemon filling just use lemon flavored icing and top that with meringue.

I like whipped cream, but if there's ice cream with the cake, it doesn't really matter.

After thinking a while ,I guess that my favorite frosting is the frosting for Red Velvet cakes made with cream cheese.

Last edited:
Meringue for my pies and icing for the cake.

Don't give me any of that whipped cream **** unless it's on the end of a nipple.

There were two staples in my house growing up. Mystery meat loaf for dinner and cake for dessert. Mom loved Betty Crocker. But at Gram's house we got pie - THAT was the best. Oh, and on top, real cream whipped with a touch of mint she harvested.

Last edited:
cream cheese or drained yogurt

I remember my mother's icing, God rest her soul, was always a Marzipan icing. Her best was Christmas cake that she would age and baste in rum for years and freeze and over time the rum would bleed into the icing. Her Chistmas cakes were famous and she even made wedding cakes from the same recipe.

Thanks for triggering good memories

I remember my mother's icing, God rest her soul, was always a Marzipan icing. Her best was Christmas cake that she would age and baste in rum for years and freeze and over time the rum would bleed into the icing. Her Chistmas cakes were famous and she even made wedding cakes from the same recipe.

Thanks for triggering good memories

that sounds even better than the best cake i've ever had.

my favorite Christmas food was mint iced fudge brownies, made by my great aunt. the icing was different; it almost had a crisp outer layer. i had no recipe to go on, but i figured it out a couple years ago, and achieved something close. the look on my mom's face made the effort worth it.

The best Christmas cake I ever had was a fresh Twinkie, 32 miles off the coast of Iran in the Persian Gulf.

I remember that one more than any of them. Did I mention it was "fresh?"

whipped-cream-bikini.jpg

End thread.

I like real sweetened whipped cream- on virtually anything sweet.

Back
Top Bottom