• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

real icing or whipped cream icing?

real icing or whipped cream "icing"

• Total voters
many years ago, when a child marked off another year, he or she could expect to celebrate the passing of another year with a properly iced cake. in fact, those kids would sometimes cut the cake away, and eat the icing (preferring the thickest part) which would stand on its own without the cake. edge pieces were coveted prizes.

then came 1939, the year Adolph Hitler concocted a plan to ruin every child's birthday : whipped cream icing. it looks like icing. however, as the poor child takes the first bite, he realizes that he's been robbed : it's just fake whipped cream icing.

Hitler's plan ruined many a birthday in Germany. at the end of WWII, the practice was quarantined to Soviet held East Germany, where the Soviets were unable to completely eradicate the travesty of a whipped cream "iced" birthday cake.

in 1989, the Berlin wall fell, and the cake ruse made its slow creep westward, arriving in America in 1993 at my buddy's graduation party. i went to get a slice of a perfectly delicious looking cake, only to find that i had been duped : that's not icing. it's whipped ****ing cream (which is not icing.) i stood stunned in the back yard, knowing that i'd been cheated. i looked around, but others seemed not to notice. they were actually eating it.

so anyway just wanted to get your take on it : real, American icing, or whipped cream fakery?

Real icing of course. It's the best part of the cake IMO. :) I don't think whipped cream is nearly sweet enough to substitute as icing.

Although I really do like ice cream cake, I'm not sure what the icing is made of.

I like real sweetened whipped cream- on virtually anything sweet.

I like it too but just not on cake as a substitute for icing. I do like the processed Cool Whip too though! :lol: I can't help it, I have a sweet tooth!

Real icing of course. It's the best part of the cake IMO. :) I don't think whipped cream is nearly sweet enough to substitute as icing.

Although I really do like ice cream cake, I'm not sure what the icing is made of.

We would get along famously. I'll take the cake, and you can have the icing. :lol:

I hate icing, or as we always called it, frosting. Too sickeningly sweet. If we are at a party where cake is served, I usually scrape off 95% of the icing and just enjoy the cake. But I will add a touch of whipped cream. I prefer it because it's not as sweet.

We would get along famously. I'll take the cake, and you can have the icing. :lol:

Yeah, I only need a little bit of cake with my icing. I was that little kid who ruined the cake by sneaking up to it when no one was looking and licking the frosting off it. :mrgreen:

Yeah, I only need a little bit of cake with my icing. I was that little kid who ruined the cake by sneaking up to it when no one was looking and licking the frosting off it. :mrgreen:

Okay, I'll try to behave the best as possible, but it's hard...

ice cream cake gets a pass because

ICE.
CREAM
CAKE.

many years ago, when a child marked off another year, he or she could expect to celebrate the passing of another year with a properly iced cake. in fact, those kids would sometimes cut the cake away, and eat the icing (preferring the thickest part) which would stand on its own without the cake. edge pieces were coveted prizes.

then came 1939, the year Adolph Hitler concocted a plan to ruin every child's birthday : whipped cream icing. it looks like icing. however, as the poor child takes the first bite, he realizes that he's been robbed : it's just fake whipped cream icing.

Hitler's plan ruined many a birthday in Germany. at the end of WWII, the practice was quarantined to Soviet held East Germany, where the Soviets were unable to completely eradicate the travesty of a whipped cream "iced" birthday cake.

in 1989, the Berlin wall fell, and the cake ruse made its slow creep westward, arriving in America in 1993 at my buddy's graduation party. i went to get a slice of a perfectly delicious looking cake, only to find that i had been duped : that's not icing. it's whipped ****ing cream (which is not icing.) i stood stunned in the back yard, knowing that i'd been cheated. i looked around, but others seemed not to notice. they were actually eating it.

so anyway just wanted to get your take on it : real, American icing, or whipped cream fakery?

Whipped cream is acceptable on pie.... Cake, however, requires real and proper icing, and anyone who thinks otherwise is UnAmerican and needs to put under observation. :)

Who's bringing the cream cheese icing?

Me! It'll be on the German chocolate cake! My cheesecakes are loaded with cream cheese, too. We love cream cheese on everything at our house! :thumbs:

Good afternoon, AP. :2wave:

Is it safe to assume that you're also no fan of meringue?

Only on coconut cream and lemon meringue pies! Yum! :thumbs:

Good evening, Lutherf. :2wave:

Me! It'll be on the German chocolate cake! My cheesecakes are loaded with cream cheese, too. We love cream cheese on everything at our house! :thumbs:

Good afternoon, AP. :2wave:

Good evening pg. How is everything in NE OH?

If I can find good old school milk chocolate icing, I could eat that stuff until I exploded. Unfortunately I cannot and I have had my fill of crisco+sugar icing. I'd rather just have no icing and fruit with some juice to it as the topping.

Only on coconut cream and lemon meringue pies! Yum! :thumbs:

Good evening, Lutherf. :2wave:

Howdy!!

I'd have to add chocolate cream pie, key lime pie, banana cream pie, baked alaska, pavlova and eton mess.

If I can find good old school milk chocolate icing, I could eat that stuff until I exploded. Unfortunately I cannot and I have had my fill of crisco+sugar icing. I'd rather just have no icing and fruit with some juice to it as the topping.

You can make icing out of powdered sugar too. You add unsweetened cocoa, butter and milk to it. You could find the recipe online. I'm sure it would be good if you used a good quality cocoa powder. :)

You can make icing out of powdered sugar too. You add unsweetened cocoa, butter and milk to it. You could find the recipe online. I'm sure it would be good if you used a good quality cocoa powder. :)

I couldn't make icing out of a can--that is the exclusive purview of the women in my life unless you want something the may involve new hostile life forms and/or a cholesterol test results higher than everybody's SAT's.

I couldn't make icing out of a can--that is the exclusive purview of the women in my life unless you want something the may involve new hostile life forms and/or a cholesterol test results higher than everybody's SAT's.

Lol! Noooo thank you! Yes, you should stick with the can then. :)

Whipped cream is acceptable on pie.... Cake, however, requires real and proper icing, and anyone who thinks otherwise is UnAmerican and needs to put under observation. :)

finally, someone understands why i Godwinned myself in the damned OP.

don't get me wrong, i still have love for the whipped cream crowd, even though i give them hell about it. i just don't get it, though.

Good evening pg. How is everything in NE OH?

The weather has cooled down enough that it required a light blanket on the bed last night! 96 degrees last week in Texas to 56 degrees here a week later takes some getting used to! :eek: The garden doesn't know what's going on, but otherwise, all is well. :thumbs: I just hope we don't have an early Fall!

The weather has cooled down enough that it required a light blanket on the bed last night! 96 degrees last week in Texas to 56 degrees here a week later takes some getting used to! :eek: The garden doesn't know what's going on, but otherwise, all is well. :thumbs: I just hope we don't have an early Fall!

LOL, I sleep under a down comforter every night. Sometimes I think I have a bit of OCD... :peace

Lol! Noooo thank you! Yes, you should stick with the can then. :)

Yep. It was the only term of our pre-nup--I am contractually prohibited from touching a hand held mixer due to my ADD tendency to paint the walls and ceilings and floors with the contents of any given bowl.

Yep. It was the only term of our pre-nup--I am contractually prohibited from touching a hand held mixer due to my ADD tendency to paint the walls and ceilings and floors with the contents of any given bowl.

:rofl Probably a good idea for you to stay out of the kitchen entirely.

Howdy!!

I'd have to add chocolate cream pie, key lime pie, banana cream pie, baked alaska, pavlova and eton mess.
:agree: Why do I have a feeling I'll be busy at the stove tomorrow! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom