• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Real Benjamin Franklin Quote?

phattonez

Catholic
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
I've seen this quote floating around but so far have only found this source.

In the Colonies we issue our own money. It is called Colonial Scrip. We issue it in proper proportion to the demands of trade and industry to make the products pass easily from the producers to the consumers. In this manner, creating for ourselves our own paper money, we control its purchasing power, and we have no interest to pay to no one

https://books.google.com/books?id=z... we have no interest to pay to no one&f=false

Or if that link doesn't work, it's from this book:
https://www.amazon.com/Words-Founding-Fathers-Quotations-Washington/dp/0786458623

It then cites a letter written by Franklin in 1763, but I can't find this letter. Does anyone have insight into this? If it's a fake quote, it's not a common one.

Sent from my phone. Instaurare omnia in Christo.

https://books.google.com/books?id=z... we have no interest to pay to no one&f=false

https://www.amazon.com/Words-Founding-Fathers-Quotations-Washington/dp/0786458623

It then cites a letter written by Franklin in 1763, but I can't find this letter. Does anyone have insight into this? If it's a fake quote, it's not a common one.

Well a google search for the quote brings up almost exclusively anti-banking and anti-Jewish articles citing the quote. So I would say the quote is probably not authentic or at least not easily verifiable using just the internet

That is not anything Benjamin Franklin would have written. He was a good writer.

Phattonez:

The quote appears in the book Words of the Founding Fathers by Steve Coffman on page 129 as Item # 923. It is identified as coming from a letter written by Franklin to The Bank of England in 1763. I hope that helps in your search.

Here is a link to the text which works.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=Ps...rip. We issue it in proper proportion&f=false

Last edited:
Well a google search for the quote brings up almost exclusively anti-banking and anti-Jewish articles citing the quote. So I would say the quote is probably not authentic or at least not easily verifiable using just the internet
Yes, I too can perform a Google search. This isn't helpful.

Phattonez:

The quote appears in the book Words of the Founding Fathers by Steve Coffman on page 129 as Item # 923. It is identified as coming from a letter written by Franklin to The Bank of England in 1763. I hope that helps in your search.

Here is a link to the text which works.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=Ps...rip. We issue it in proper proportion&f=false
Yes I saw that too, but I wasn't able to find the letter. Thank you.

Yes I saw that too, but I wasn't able to find the letter. Thank you.

Phattonez:

Upon further research I don't think the quote is from a letter at all. It appears to be part of the testimony given by Franklin to the governors of The Bank of England or the examiners of the Board of Trade in December of 1763 (sources are contradictory). These hearing were likely conducted by Lord Hillsborough but I cannot find a transcript of the testimony which includes your cited quotation. Perhaps you'll have better luck than me.

Cheers.
Evilroddy.

Last edited:
Phattonez:

Upon further research I don't think the quote is from a letter at all. It appears to be part of the testimony given by Franklin to the governors of The Bank of England in December of 1763. These hearing were conducted by Lord Hillsborough but I cannot find a transcript of the testimony which includes your cited quotation. Perhaps you'll have better luck than me.

Cheers.
Evilroddy.
Interesting. This is proving very difficult to find. The internet is nice, but it still doesn't compare to a library!

Phattonez:

Upon further research I don't think the quote is from a letter at all. It appears to be part of the testimony given by Franklin to the governors of The Bank of England or the examiners of the Board of Trade in December of 1763 (sources are contradictory). These hearing were likely conducted by Lord Hillsborough but I cannot find a transcript of the testimony which includes your cited quotation. Perhaps you'll have better luck than me.

Cheers.
Evilroddy.
I've found something, though it's not the same quote, it expresses the same idea.

Benjamin Franklin said:
And since a Plentiful Currency will be so great a Cause of advancing this Province in Trade and Riches, and increasing the Number of its People; which, tho' it will not sensibly lessen the Inhabitants of Great Britain, will occasion a much greater Vent and Demand for their Commodities here; and allowing that the Crown is the more powerful for its Subjects increasing in Wealth and Number, I cannot think it the Interest of England to oppose' us in making as great a Su1n of Paper Money here, as we, who are the best Judges of our own Necessities, find convenient. And if I were not sensible that the Gentlemen of Trade in England, to whom we have already parted with our Silver and Gold, are misinformed of our Circumstances, and therefore endeavour to have our Currency stinted to what it now is, I should think the Government at Home had some Reasons for discouraging and impoverishing this Province, which we are not acquainted with. . . .

Benjamin Franklin A Modest Enquiry into the Nature and Necessity of Paper Currency < 1701-1750 < Documents < American History From Revolution To Reconstruction and beyond

Yes, I too can perform a Google search. This isn't helpful.

Actually its pretty helpful if you have any common sense.

Do you think that a bunch of anti-Semites are privy to a rare Benjamin Franklin quote that historians are not?

Actually its pretty helpful if you have any common sense.

Do you think that a bunch of anti-Semites are privy to a rare Benjamin Franklin quote that historians are not?
Was that the only place where this quote was found? No. So does this help? No.

Was that the only place where this quote was found? No. So does this help? No.

It’s actually pretty helpful again this takes some common sense.

The top 10 google hits are mostly books and papers with the quote in it, a couple of anti-central banking articles and THIS THREAD. The quote is so obscure that just making a thread about it makes it into the top google results. If you go to the next page it’s a lot of conspiracy articles, anti-Semite articles and even a stormfront thread. So it’s pretty clear that the majority of people interested in this quote are interested in using it for extreme political views.

If you are really interested in the validity of this quote you should get in touch with John Train the author of “The Money Masters” which it seems the quote was first published in citing the 1793 letter.

It’s actually pretty helpful again this takes some common sense.

The top 10 google hits are mostly books and papers with the quote in it, a couple of anti-central banking articles and THIS THREAD. The quote is so obscure that just making a thread about it makes it into the top google results. If you go to the next page it’s a lot of conspiracy articles, anti-Semite articles and even a stormfront thread. So it’s pretty clear that the majority of people interested in this quote are interested in using it for extreme political views.

If you are really interested in the validity of this quote you should get in touch with John Train the author of “The Money Masters” which it seems the quote was first published in citing the 1793 letter.
That's actually where I heard the quote as well. He made a spectacular claim that the revolution was really about England imposing hard money on the colonies, which I wanted to look up because I'd never heard of this. I found that indeed Franklin was a proponent of the paper money, but I haven't found the specific quote.

The fact that certain people use the quote has no bearing on its validity. It's either real or it's not.

Back
Top Bottom