• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Read the Book "Black Like Me" and see if it changes your mind on White Privilege.

independentusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
First, this book was written in 1959. I wa living in segregated Florida at the time and went to a segregated school. I can tell you truthfully that little has changed for blacks since then especially since Trump became president. The book is about a man who went to a dermatologist and had his skin darkened and lived as a black man for a period of time and then wrote about it. It is enlightening to say the least. All of you who say there is no white privilege have to read the book and then see if you feel the same.

First, this book was written in 1959. I wa living in segregated Florida at the time and went to a segregated school. I can tell you truthfully that little has changed for blacks since then especially since Trump became president. The book is about a man who went to a dermatologist and had his skin darkened and lived as a black man for a period of time and then wrote about it. It is enlightening to say the least. All of you who say there is no white privilege have to read the book and then see if you feel the same.

Black Like Me - Wikipedia

Crazy stuff is seen here, in the response to the project.

Before Griffin could publish reports on his experiment in Sepia magazine, which had helped bankroll his travels, word leaked out. In interviews with Time and CBS, he explained what he’d been up to without trying to insult Southern whites. He was subjected to what he called “a dirty bath” of hatred. Returning to his Texas hometown, he was hanged in effigy; his parents received threats on his life. Any day now, Griffin heard, a mob would come to castrate him. He sent his wife and children to Mexico, and his parents sold their property and went into exile too. Griffin remained behind to pack his studio, wondering, “Is tonight the night the shotgun blasts through the window?” He soon followed his family to Mexico, where he turned his Sepia articles into Black Like Me.

Black Like Me, 50 Years Later
|
Arts & Culture

| Smithsonian Magazine

1959 was a different world.

Your white guilt is laughable.

i read it at the recommendation of my best friend when i was in college. that was a long time ago, but i remember it being a real eye opener.

First, this book was written in 1959. I wa living in segregated Florida at the time and went to a segregated school. I can tell you truthfully that little has changed for blacks since then especially since Trump became president. The book is about a man who went to a dermatologist and had his skin darkened and lived as a black man for a period of time and then wrote about it. It is enlightening to say the least...

Little has changed for Blacks since then? Really?

I can tell you that MUCH has "changed for Blacks" since then.

Some for the good, other for the bad.

Examples of "for the good:"

We don't face either open, or institutionalized racism. Examples: There is no such thing as "separate but equal" accommodations legal anywhere in the USA; no "special requirements" to vote (like reading tests, paying fees, proving you can write, etc.); No miscegenation laws preventing interracial marriage.

If fact, a whole slew of laws and regulations have been enacted and enforced to insure recourse if anyone faces racial discrimination.

Then there was "affirmative action;" i.e. legal discrimination against those of any race who might be more qualified for a job than a Black applicant via quotas and preferential treatment in hiring and educational advancement.

There were also a number of social welfare programs, grants, and other government efforts to help the Black Community.

However, under many of those programs, some of us in the Black Community have come to believe we've replaced one form of "racism" by another, i.e. kept down by the new racism of "low expectations." Notice that most of the protesting and rioting is happening in areas of the country dominated by Democrat politicians for years. Who, IMO have done everything in their power to try to keep us in their pocket. Creating a welfare culture, and it's resultant "get rich, die young" thug-life sub-culture. That sub-culture is responsible for most of the Black death-rates, both Black on Black crimes, and the idea of resisting law enforcement.

...especially since Trump became president.

Then you add, "especially since Trump has become President?"

Well let me retort.

Actions Trump has taken or initiated to help Black Americans:

A civil rights activist speaking at the RNC said that President Trump has done more for black Americans in four years than Joe Biden has achieved in five decades in government....civil rights activist Clarence Henderson said Wednesday. "The record funding Trump gave HBCUs is priceless too. So are the record number of jobs he created for the black community and the investment he drove into our neighborhood with tax incentives and opportunity zones. And so are the lives he restored by passing criminal justice reform — where 91% of the inmates released are black.”
Civil rights activist: 'Trump has done more for black Americans in four years than Joe Biden has done in 50'

Try again? :coffeepap:

Last edited:

TDS is a horrible disease. I wish you the best. God bless.

This book was required reading in my Sixth Grade class in Montgomery County Maryland.

My wife and I moved to Mansfield, Texas in 2006, and that is when I learned the horrible history of this sleepy little North Texas town.
John Howard Griffin grew up in Mansfield, and when his book was released, the local Klan held a parade on Main Street where they hung Griffin in effigy and then burned the effigy at the corner of Main Street and Broad Street, the two main drags in town.

The death threats became so serious that Griffin moved with his wife and children to Mexico for four years.
When he died in 1980, no cemetery would take him except what was known as The Old Colored Cemetery on the outskirts of town.

When I went to ask if I could visit his gravestone, the staff at the church that had taken over custody of the cemetery became very nervous and upset, and said that they didn't want any trouble, and I would not be allowed on the grounds.
That's evidence to me that the racial tensions still exist in Mansfield, which by the way, also had a lot to say about school integration a few years earlier.

Mansfield Segregation 1956 (8).jpg

MansfieldRacistSchools.jpg

1959 was a different world.

Your white guilt is laughable.

DO you see what is happening in the real world outside Faux News and Rush Limbaugh, apparently not, white guilt my ass. So blind that they can not see. White privilege then and now, all the same.

Little has changed for Blacks since then? Really?

I can tell you that MUCH has "changed for Blacks" since then.

Some for the good, other for the bad.

Examples of "for the good:"

We don't face either open, or institutionalized racism. Examples: There is no such thing as "separate but equal" accommodations legal anywhere in the USA; no "special requirements" to vote (like reading tests, paying fees, proving you can write, etc.); No miscegenation laws preventing interracial marriage.

If fact, a whole slew of laws and regulations have been enacted and enforced to insure recourse if anyone faces racial discrimination.

Then there was "affirmative action;" i.e. legal discrimination against those of any race who might be more qualified for a job than a Black applicant via quotas and preferential treatment in hiring and educational advancement.

There were also a number of social welfare programs, grants, and other government efforts to help the Black Community.

However, under many of those programs, some of us in the Black Community have come to believe we've replaced one form of "racism" by another, i.e. kept down by the new racism of "low expectations." Notice that most of the protesting and rioting is happening in areas of the country dominated by Democrat politicians for years. Who, IMO have done everything in their power to try to keep us in their pocket. Creating a welfare culture, and it's resultant "get rich, die young" thug-life sub-culture. That sub-culture is responsible for most of the Black death-rates, both Black on Black crimes, and the idea of resisting law enforcement.

Then you add, "especially since Trump has become President?"

Well let me retort.

Actions Trump has taken or initiated to help Black Americans:

Civil rights activist: 'Trump has done more for black Americans in four years than Joe Biden has done in 50'

Try again? :coffeepap:

Ah Trumpsters, aren't they wonderful. So blind they can not see.

Ah Trumpsters, aren't they wonderful. So blind they can not see.

Really?

You should know by now I am a Black American.

Nor am I alone in my position...it is shared by many Black public figures and fellow citizens.

IMO the only people who are "blind to what they cannot see" are those pushing the new racism of low expectations for members of the Black Community.

It is YOUR side of the argument that pushes the idea that one's skin color not only defines who they are, but how they MUST be treated. All under the new racist ideology of the Hierarchy of Oppression.

True equality is when people are treated equally, and judged by their character, not the color of their skin. Yet the LEFT is pushing just the opposite...skin color is all one needs to know when dealing with ANY situation...as far as your side seems concerned.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom