• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Re-ratification

Should the amendments be re-ratified

• Yes they should

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • yes but some should be off limits (specify with comments)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No it is not necessary and the system works either way

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • maybe but it probably wont happen

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

JJB3333

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Please read before voting

Alright then people so i was browsing through another thread a few minutes ago and they had kind of deteriorated the conversation into what the constitutional amendments actually mean and whether we should have them repealed. So i started doing some passive research and you know what i found, almost half of the constitution was never ratified by states of today's america because they had not been created yet.

So my question is, should we call for a re-ratification of the constitutional amendments so that all amendments have been thoroughly reviewed, and accepted or denied by the current states of america?

Alright then people so i was browsing through another thread a few minutes ago and they had kind of deteriorated the conversation into what the constitutional amendments actually mean and whether we should have them repealed. So i started doing some passive research and you know what i found, almost half of the constitution was never ratified by states of today's america because they had not been created yet.

So my question is, should we call for a re-ratification of the constitutional amendments so that all amendments have been thoroughly reviewed, and accepted or denied by the current states of america?

I'd be fine with that if it is voted on by the people of the United States and not just determined by politicians.

Sounds like a total waste of time and money to me.

It's an interesting topic and certainly something that could be done but I don't see why anyone should call for a re-ratification.

The Union is what the Union is.

Territories appealed for admittance knowing full well what the Constitution said.

I would think that making the appeal for admission, knowing what the law of the land was, and not requesting at that time that the Union make any concessions in terms of Constitutional amendments signals a de facto acceptance that the law as it existed at the time of their admission was acceptable.

I think we could equally make the argument that since very few Americans who are alive today we're around for the ratification of of most of the amendments (the vast majority of Americans living today, about 85% +/-, were born some time after the 22nd was ratified in 1951) we should just re-ratify them all.

We could apply the same logic to the basic Constitution itself, as far as that goes, since no living American was alive at the time it was ratified.

The only thing really standing in the way of a re-ratification (or repeal) of anything is numbers. Get two-thirds of the State legislatures to call a convention and it's game on.

It's completely unnecessary. If an Amendment isn't working, it can be repealed with another (See Prohibition. 18th Amendment banned alcohol, 21st repealed the 18th)

Usually it's the 17th that people lose their minds about, and if the idea to repeal it gets enough traction, there can be another amendment to repeal it.

No, part of becoming a new state is the adoption of the Constitution as it stood at the time statehood was approved.

No, part of becoming a new state is the adoption of the Constitution as it stood at the time statehood was approved.
Right. They knew what they were buying. It's not like the Constitution was a secret.

Right. They knew what they were buying. It's not like the Constitution was a secret.

No, it was right out there for them to see and read. Its not like a lot of other stuff the government does.

Back
Top Bottom