• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Raul Castro to step down

joluoto

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
A page turns in Cuba as Raul Castro makes way for next generation

Kind of expected, his health has been deteriorating. This means the end of Castro family rule, as the Communist party leadership will now pass to Castro's protegé President Miguel Díaz-Canel (yes, he is already President, became that in 2018, but now he gets to actually be in charge as he becomes leader of the Communist Party).

It will be interesting to see what changes may come as a result of this. Raul was more moderate than Fidel and far more open to the private market; let's hope this trend picks up. Cuba is a beautiful country with a well educated population. Old Havana has the potential to have the charm of Paris with a lot of much needed restoration work on the old buildings. They have a lot going for them if they can attract more economic development.

They have a lot going for them if they can attract more economic development.
They'd get it from America if they held free and fair elections with unrestricted access by foreign monitors.

First Fidel dies, and now Raul is stepping aside. Bernie must be very upset upon hearing this news.

Has the DNC party chair position opened up again?
Nah, it's full. But the Right Wing American Nazi Party is in need of a new leader.

They'd get it from America if they held free and fair elections with unrestricted access by foreign monitors.
That's not what the embargo is about. The embargo is about Cuba nationalizing plantations and processing plants owned by American fruit producers and sugar producers. And tossing the Mafia out of Havana.
Fair and free elections? Is that why the US supports Saudi Arabia? The US has made a career of undermining and overturning fair and free elections in Latin America. Don't kid yourself. It's all about money. All about the dollar.

It will be interesting to see what changes may come as a result of this. Raul was more moderate than Fidel and far more open to the private market; let's hope this trend picks up. Cuba is a beautiful country with a well educated population. Old Havana has the potential to have the charm of Paris with a lot of much needed restoration work on the old buildings. They have a lot going for them if they can attract more economic development.
There's been small-scale capitalism in Cuba for years. We stayed in casas particulare, private houses with suites set up for tourists and ate in paladares, private homes that were allowed to seat 12 for meals, and this was before Fidel died.
Cuba is and will continue to be an excellent tourist destination. So long as it doesn't become Jamaica when it opens up to a certain group of tourists. When we were there the tourists were almost all Canadians and Europeans.

That's not what the embargo is about. The embargo is about Cuba nationalizing plantations and processing plants owned by American fruit producers and sugar producers. And tossing the Mafia out of Havana.
Fair and free elections? Is that why the US supports Saudi Arabia? The US has made a career of undermining and overturning fair and free elections in Latin America. Don't kid yourself. It's all about money. All about the dollar.

Whereas Canadian support for the Cuban dictatorship is based around such moral values....oh wait 🙄

Whereas Canadian support for the Cuban dictatorship is based around such moral values....oh wait 🙄
What moral values are you talking about? Is the revolutionary government nationalizing the property of United Fruit in Cuba a matter of morality? Should Canada care that American corporations who exploited Central American nations lost assets in Cuba?
Who cares about America's opinion of Cuba? Only Americans. Cuba is full of Canadian and European tourists who couldn't care less.
And American opposition to Cuba has nothing to do with fair elections or morality. It's all about money, like I said. Do you need examples pointed out to you, examples of immoral regimes supported by the US because of money?

What moral values are you talking about? Is the revolutionary government nationalizing the property of United Fruit in Cuba a matter of morality? Should Canada care that American corporations who exploited Central American nations lost assets in Cuba?
Who cares about America's opinion of Cuba? Only Americans. Cuba is full of Canadian and European tourists who couldn't care less.
And American opposition to Cuba has nothing to do with fair elections or morality. It's all about money, like I said. Do you need examples pointed out to you, examples of immoral regimes supported by the US because of money?

The “revolutionary government” brutally oppressing its own people certainly is a matter of morality, which, gee, Canada certainly is supposed to care about.

Oh wait, I forgot....your “morality” is nothing more than empty posturing.

Lol yeah, I know that there are plenty of folks who cheerfully do their bit to fund the brutal dictatorship in Havana.

Yawn. Blubber “but....but....sauuuuuuddiiiii arrrrrrrabbbiiiiiaaaaa” some more, you already exposed your faux “morality” as a bad joke.

The “revolutionary government” brutally oppressing its own people certainly is a matter of morality, which, gee, Canada certainly is supposed to care about.

Oh wait, I forgot....your “morality” is nothing more than empty posturing.

Lol yeah, I know that there are plenty of folks who cheerfully do their bit to fund the brutal dictatorship in Havana.

Yawn. Blubber “but....but....sauuuuuuddiiiii arrrrrrrabbbiiiiiaaaaa” some more, you already exposed your faux “morality” as a bad joke.
I've had it up to here with you parroting the low-grade jingoism you were told in high school by the American version of 'teachers', and the belligerent teenager attitude you bring to every subject. Go sit on that bench over there between the bed-wetters and the mouth-breathers. You can have the empty spot where 'apdst' used to park- it should feel right homey.

I've had it up to here with you parroting the low-grade jingoism you were told in high school by the American version of 'teachers', and the belligerent teenager attitude you bring to every subject. Go sit on that bench over there between the bed-wetters and the mouth-breathers. You can have the empty spot where 'apdst' used to park- it should feel right homey.

And I’ve had it up to hear with faux “morality” which is little more than contrarianism on a national scale, like so much of what Canada does. Nobody is impressed that you chose to subsidize a brutal dictatorship.

You freely admitted that the Canadian and European tourists who go there couldn’t care less about the atrocities the regime commits, so nobody is interested in your posturing either

WORKING FOR THE YANKEE DOLLAR

I don't know if there are still people like Raul Castro in the world. After all, just think about it – he stormed the Moncado barracks on July 26, 1953!!!
And of course, people will remember, that this is the only person, who did not allow himself to be patted on the shoulder by the president of the all-mighty United States..
This is honor and dignity!..

Last edited:
I don't know if there are still people like Raul Castro in the world. After all, just think about it – he stormed the Moncado barracks on July 26, 1953!!!
And of course, people will remember, that this is the only person, who did not allow himself to be patted on the shoulder by the president of the all-mighty United States..

Obama's living rent-free in your head. Say hi for me.

Sorry but as much as I like Cuba I can't romanticize their revolutionary leaders. Raul and Fidel were allowed to live after the failed attack on the barracks. Fidel didn't show the same consideration for Batista's officers, who were killed by the hundreds when he took power. Fidel, Raul, Che and the rest turned out to be as murderous as the regime they replaced.

Sorry but as much as I like Cuba I can't romanticize their revolutionary leaders. Raul and Fidel were allowed to live after the failed attack on the barracks. Fidel didn't show the same consideration for Batista's officers, who were killed by the hundreds when he took power. Fidel, Raul, Che and the rest turned out to be as murderous as the regime they replaced.
After Hitler's Beer Hall Putsch failed coup attempt, I think he only served about 2 years, wrote Mein Kampf, was released and...

Back
Top Bottom