• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rate these bands (1960s British)

radcen

Phonetic Mnemonic ©
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Rate these bands (1960s British) in order from 1 to 8, with 1 being the best and 8 being the worst (relatively) of the group.

1. The Animals
  2. The Beatles
  3. Cream
  4. Dave Clark Five
  5. The Kinks
  6. Rolling Stones
  7. The Who
  8. Yardbirds

They are currently listed in alphabetical order. Sorry if I missed one or two worthy acts. I purposely didn't include bands like Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd as they were right at the end of the decade and are better associated with the 1970s.

1.. Kinks
2. Kinks
3. Kinks
4.Kinks
5..Kinks
6. Kinks
7. El Kinko's
8. SKNIK EHT

My list:
  1. The Beatles
  2. The Kinks
  3. The Who
  4. Rolling Stones
  5. Cream
  6. The Animals
  7. Yardbirds
  8. Dave Clark Five

1. The Who
2. Rolling Stones
3. The Beatles
4. The Kinks
5. The Animals
6. Cream
7. The Zombies
8. Yardbirds
9. Dave Clark Five

I cannot think of any songs I have heard from Dave Clark Five, Cream, and Yardbirds though I recognize the names. I do think the Beatles are over-rated. They were just a boy band. They did not really become worthwhile musicians until after they broke IMO.

Rolling Stones
The Beatles
Cream
The Who
The Kinks
Yardbirds
The Animals

Dave Clark Five

I cannot think of any songs I have heard from Dave Clark Five, Cream, and Yardbirds though I recognize the names. I do think the Beatles are over-rated. They were just a boy band. They did not really become worthwhile musicians until after they broke IMO.
Yardbirds were very influential for a lot of musicians who came along after them, though not really commercially successful.

The Dave Clark Five were more of a pop band than the others. Definitely "middle of the road" tunes such as "Because" and "Glad All Over".
Cream was a short lived supergroup that hit the crossover between psychedelia and pop like a ton of bricks. Think "Sunshine of your Love" and "Strange Brew"
The Yardbirds were just a flat out talent factory. Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page and Eric Clapton all passed through the lineup while pumping out songs like "Heart Full of Soul" and "For Your Love".

The Beatles were, IMO, far from an overrated "boy band". They probably morphed more than any other band on that list while maintaining both their popularity and their top shelf talent. Whatever they did they did it really, really well.

As far as I'm concerned The Who stuck to their guns the most and bridged American rock with British rock better than the others.

The Stones are the heavy hitters of the bunch but they detoured into "discoville" for a while.

The Kinks kicked all kinds of ass but they were unabashadly English and didn't bridge the US market as well as the Stones, Beatles and Who.

I threw the Zombies into the mix earlier but I'd like to add honorable mentions to Traffic, the Moody Blues and Spencer Davis.

The other notable missing party is Pink Floyd. I just have to assume that they weren't on the list because they are on their own list that none of the others can touch.

Only worthwhile band to come out of Britain prior to mid 70s as Black Sabbath. They could have kept their pop bands.

1 The Beatles. Always preferred the Stones but the Beatles influence on others here in the UK is unquestionable.
2 Rolling Stones
3 Cream
4 Fleetwood Mac (Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac)
5 The Yardbirds
6 John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers (counted Eric CLapton and Peter Green separately as lead guitar)
7 Black Sabbath (even if they only formed in 68 - their influence on heavy metal is unquestionable)
8 Deep Purple (first version)
9 The Animals
10 Spencer Davis Group
11 The Kinks
12 Led Zepelin
13 Genesis

Honorable Mention

The Faces with Rod Stewart (they only formed in 1969)
King Crimson
Blind Faith / Traffic

Back
Top Bottom