• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rate of Zombie Transmission Calculated by Math Professor

Nothing weird about having a question mark at the end of your name. If you're this guy

Fair enough. It's a little weirder if you're a math professor.

If you've ever wondered how long a zombie apocalypse would actually take, someone has now done the math for you. Unfortunately he's a weirdo who seriously spells his name with a question mark at the end of it. Here's the article:

Survive a zombie apocalypse? Just do the math* - NBC News.com

If anything as virulent as a "zombie plague" were to just suddenly appear out of nowhere and start spreading like wildfire, it would pretty much have to be an artificially engineered contagion that was deliberately or accidental released into the general population. Nothing anywhere near that potent or contagious exists in the natural world.

As a matter of fact, my favorite pet theory on the subject is that most of the zombie outbreaks we see in media are the result of extraterrestrial bioweapons being unleashed by aliens somewhat similar to those from Plan 9 From Outer Space.

I'm honestly surprised that we haven't seen a crossover with that concept yet. It'd be pretty friggin' sweet to have all of the fun of the War of the Worlds and the Walking Dead in one movie. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
If anything as virulent as a "zombie plague" were to just suddenly appear out of nowhere and start spreading like wildfire, it would pretty much have to be an artificially engineered contagion that was deliberately or accidental released into the general population. Nothing anywhere near that potent or contagious exists in the natural world.

The article actually talks about that a bit. All kidding aside, this model is more interesting than it deserves to be, because it's apparently a useful mathematical model for handling diseases with multiple nonlinear variables (I only have a very superficial understanding of what that means). For example sexually transmitted diseases like HPV apparently have multiple nonlinear variables, and apparently this model is useful in that context. The whole thing's pretty interesting. Also, now I want to read the novel of World War Z.

Back
Top Bottom