• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rate:NBC Olympic Opening Act

Hawkeye10

Buttermilk Man
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I hate it when I cant figure out if this place I am at is supposed to be a school, or is it a church?

Ya, RIO 2016 could not make up their minds on that, which was annoying. Technically and in some sense artistically this was brilliant, the opening act with the giant mylar balloons or what ever especially. I am pretty sure this was by far the cheapest show that has been done in awhile, I wonder about that.

NBC was technically sound but it was so one note saccharin liberalism that it was hard to take. It is like the Liberals got together and decided " **** you Righttards, you picked/allowed Trump, we dont have to pretend to care about you anymore".

The commercials were much more artistically interesting than the Super Bowl commercials have been lately. They were also very lefty and toxically sweet. The GE about the killing of sea creatures to throw an apocalyptic storm being an exception...that there was gruesome. Boring as well.

:cone:-------------------------------------------------------------------------:cone:

RIO 2016 6

NBC 5

National Advertisers 8

:cone:--------------------------------------------------------------------------:cone:

Note: I only stood the first hour.

Dont complain, it is the most Olympics I have given the pleasure of my eyeballs in a dozen years.

Last edited:
Director Fernando Mereilles and his team delivered a sobering call to address global warming and deforestation cloaked in a stirring multicultural celebration of tolerance.
Opening Ceremony of the Rio Olympics: TV Review | Hollywood Reporter

Ya, it reminded me of a University of Washington commencement...."this is supposed to be about education, so why does this feel like a Church of Liberalism sermon?" The olympic are supposed to be about excellence in sports. Used to be anyways, maybe I am out of date again?

NBC’s tape delayed coverage spanned a whopping four-and-a-half primetime hours. There was plenty of spectacle, plenty of commentary and plenty of ads — (self)promoting everything from NBC’s fall shows and Universal’s movies to automobiles and alcohol. There were so many commercials that the telecast felt at times like the Super Bowl; indeed, Amy Schumer’s Bud Light commercial from the NFL championship returned for several airings.

NBCUniversal boasted it had sold in excess of $1.2 billion in national advertising related to its broadcasts from the 2016 Rio Olympics, and viewers noticed. Many took to Twitter to express their unhappiness with the excessive ads, using the hashtag #nbcfail.

2016 Olympics Opening Ceremony: NBC Blasted for Excessive Ads | Variety

I only watched a hour, I really liked the national ads, and I am the kind who watches the Super Bowl more for the ads than the game most years , so I was not ticked. But I get it..... between the nationals, the local spots, and all of the NBC self promotion, plus all the yakkity yak, not enough time was left for the event that most tuned in to see. I did think the oh so sweet NBC promotion of itself, its shows, it corporate owner, and its homilies to liberalism was over the top, I thought so as I was sitting through my hour.

Can anything be done to get the Olympics out of NBC's clutches?

The network's coverage of the opening ceremony in Rio de Janeiro was typically clueless and counterintuitive, cutting away to a commercial every few minutes, inserting "expert" commentary in a window in the lower left-hand corner, interrupting the spectacle to show us images of the US athletes preparing to enter next-door for the parade of nations (as if we didn't already know that we were going to see American athletes if we stuck around). The entire thing was delayed, as is tradition whenever the games appear in another time zone — an increasingly ridiculous practice in the age of social media, which makes it possible to at least partially follow events live even if television does not deign to cover them that way.

Worse was the blather by cohosts Matt Lauer, Meredith Vieira, and Hoda Kotb, a low point even by the already weak standards of Olympics commentary in this country. Coverage of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade typically has more thoughtful remarks.
Review: NBC's Olympics Opening Ceremony Coverage -- Vulture

:spank:
OUCH, the most negative review I have seen.

I gave NBC a 5, but then again I am a member of the Rebellion, I tend to assume that the ELite will **** up what they touch, which probably helped NBC's score even though I tried no sift out my bias.

I am finding lots of comments about how this opening was done on the cheap, which I noticed even though I have not watched the Olympics in 12 years, so I did not see the London or China opens, which by most accounts were well thought out, and had serious money behind them, money that Brazil of course does not have, because the nation is a train wreck.

Last edited:
People think the Olympics opening ceremony looked a bit like a giant vagina

Out was the pomp and ceremony of Beijing and London and in was "Brazil on a budget", reflecting the country's troubled economy and high levels of poverty.

As the Independent's Kevin Garside noted from his seat inside the 80,000-seater, the ceremony followed an "ecological narrative to tell the story of Brazil".

As many people on the internet pointed out, it also resembled something slightly less profound...
http://indy100.independent.co.uk/ar...-looked-a-bit-like-a-giant-vagina--bJ07Sjp1Db

People think the Olympics opening ceremony looked a bit like a giant vagina

Out was the pomp and ceremony of Beijing and London and in was "Brazil on a budget", reflecting the country's troubled economy and high levels of poverty.

As the Independent's Kevin Garside noted from his seat inside the 80,000-seater, the ceremony followed an "ecological narrative to tell the story of Brazil".

As many people on the internet pointed out, it also resembled something slightly less profound...
http://indy100.independent.co.uk/ar...-looked-a-bit-like-a-giant-vagina--bJ07Sjp1Db

OK, I did not notice that, but surely that was intentional. "From the womb, created by the feminine" would fit in perfectly with all the rest of the odes to liberalism they were playing.

UP WITH WOMEN is oh so trendy these days....look at Hollywood, look at the lit scene, look at politics .

OK, I did not notice that, but surely that was intentional. "From the womb, created by the feminine" would fit in perfectly with all the rest of the odes to liberalism they were playing, UP WITH WOMEN is oh so trendy these days, look at Hollywood, look at the lit scene, look at politics .

It sure is and is a great form of misdirection, from the problems at hand.

It sure is and is a great form of misdirection, from the problems at hand.

So long as we dont talk about how Brazil is one of the worst non Muslim, non African, nations when it comes to the treatment of women....according to the liberals.

The results of a recent study in Brazil couldn't be clearer: "Women who wear tight-fitting clothes deserve it when they are attacked," and "If women knew how to behave, there would be fewer rapes."
Those were comments a majority of Brazilians said they could identify with, according to a study published at the end of last month by the Brazilian Institute for Applied Economic Research (IPEA). The survey polled 3,810 people between the ages of 18 and 50 with 58.5 percent agreeing with the first statement and 65 percent with the second.
The study's results came as a shock to the public as well as the polling agency. "The results are frightening because they are based on an old patriarchal mentality," said Rafael Osorio, director of socio-scientific studies at IPEA
Brazilians believe victims deserved sexual assault, study finds | Globalization | DW.COM | 03.04.2014

Last edited:
But, on the plus side, this little gal won the First Gold medal of the games in shooting.

NBC’s problems with broadcasting the Olympics extend back to 1988, when NBC won the rights to the Summer Games from ABC and its longtime stalwart master of ceremonies Jim McKay and steadily turned the Olympics from a sporting event and/or a gathering of the world’s nations into an episode of Dateline. NBC’s entertainment-first approach to the Olympics has always been deeply irritating, but it’s never worse than during the opening ceremony, when you’re reminded just how bad its broadcasting team truly is.
Rio Olympics 2016: 6 winners and 5 losers from a scrappy but impressive opening ceremony - Vox

:hammer:

Back
Top Bottom