• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rare gold coins found in Israeli city of Caesarea

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-46429990

A collection of gold coins believed to have been hidden 900 years ago has been discovered by archaeologists in the ancient Israeli port city of Caesarea.

The rare cache was found - along with a single gold earring - in a bronze pot between stones in the side of a well.

The hoard of 24 coins appears to have been hidden by someone who hoped to retrieve it, but never returned.

Archaeologists say the owner may have died when the city's inhabitants were massacred by a Crusader army in 1101.
==============================================
Great catch. I don't plan on visiting Israel in my lifetime but I'm looking forward to seeing photos of these coins. I collected U.S. gold coins & have a special interest in these.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-46429990

A collection of gold coins believed to have been hidden 900 years ago has been discovered by archaeologists in the ancient Israeli port city of Caesarea.

The rare cache was found - along with a single gold earring - in a bronze pot between stones in the side of a well.

The hoard of 24 coins appears to have been hidden by someone who hoped to retrieve it, but never returned.

Archaeologists say the owner may have died when the city's inhabitants were massacred by a Crusader army in 1101.
==============================================
Great catch. I don't plan on visiting Israel in my lifetime but I'm looking forward to seeing photos of these coins. I collected U.S. gold coins & have a special interest in these.

History is literally under foot in those areas. I found a small coin in Somalia walking between the runways of the "International Airport" In Mogadishu.... Hand stamped in excess of 700 years old.

Worth almost nothing but a great story.

Back
Top Bottom