• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rare case of National Firearms Act weapons used in deputy shooting

swing_voter

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
The Madison County shooter who critically wounded one deputy and injured another in a shootout with law enforcement Thursday was equipped with two fully automatic rifles, two officials said.

It is extremely unusual for a fully automatic weapon to be used in a crime, especially one involving a shootout with law enforcement, according to both state and federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives officials.

While no statistics detailing automatic vs. semiautomatic weapons used in crimes exist, since 1934 there are only four known instances of automatic weapons used in crimes where someone was killed. In three of those instances the weapons were legally obtained, with two of them illegally used by law enforcement officers.

By itself, the penalty for having an unregistered fully automatic gun under The National Firearms Act is up to 10 years in prison, a fine of $250,000, or both. The National Firearms Act strictly regulating machine guns was first enacted in 1934, and since updated.

When asked on Friday how many rounds were fired from the weapon, Bramlett said, "A lot."

Clear proof that gun regulation doesn't work.

The Madison County shooter who critically wounded one deputy and injured another in a shootout with law enforcement Thursday was equipped with two fully automatic rifles, two officials said.

It is extremely unusual for a fully automatic weapon to be used in a crime, especially one involving a shootout with law enforcement, according to both state and federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives officials.

While no statistics detailing automatic vs. semiautomatic weapons used in crimes exist, since 1934 there are only four known instances of automatic weapons used in crimes where someone was killed. In three of those instances the weapons were legally obtained, with two of them illegally used by law enforcement officers.

By itself, the penalty for having an unregistered fully automatic gun under The National Firearms Act is up to 10 years in prison, a fine of $250,000, or both. The National Firearms Act strictly regulating machine guns was first enacted in 1934, and since updated.

When asked on Friday how many rounds were fired from the weapon, Bramlett said, "A lot."

The gun lobby frequent trots out the stat that no shooting has ever been done with a fully automatic gun.

The gun lobby frequent trots out the stat that no shooting has ever been done with a fully automatic gun.
you are not telling the truth. we have note that legally owned automatics have statistically, about zero incidents of being used in murders. A dayton Police officer killed an informant with an automatic weapon he was able to own due to his status as a cop. There have been severa
crimes where ILLEGALLY converted machine guns were used such as the Silent Brotherhood's murder of leftwing talk show host Alan Berg and the MIAMI shootout where SA Jerry Dove and two suspects were killed

since 1934 there are only four known instances of automatic weapons used in crimes where someone was killed. In three of those instances the weapons were legally obtained, with two of them illegally used by law enforcement officers.

So it seems that since 1934 there have been 2 separate criminal incidents where some one was killed by a automatic weapon?

since 1934 there are only four known instances of automatic weapons used in crimes where someone was killed. In three of those instances the weapons were legally obtained, with two of them illegally used by law enforcement officers.

So it seems that since 1934 there have been 2 separate criminal incidents where some one was killed by a automatic weapon?
which leads to this question: what was the need to ban private citizens from being able to own automatics made after May 19, 1986, and does this prove that crime control is not what motivates Democrat anti gun schemes?

you are not telling the truth. we have note that legally owned automatics have statistically, about zero incidents of being used in murders. A dayton Police officer killed an informant with an automatic weapon he was able to own due to his status as a cop. There have been severa
crimes where ILLEGALLY converted machine guns were used such as the Silent Brotherhood's murder of leftwing talk show host Alan Berg and the MIAMI shootout where SA Jerry Dove and two suspects were killed

So this incident confirms that your maxim is no MURDERS have been caused by fully auto guns...not no shootings.

So this incident confirms that your maxim is no MURDERS have been caused by fully auto guns...not no shootings.
statistically, legally owned automatic weapons are not an issue in the facilitation of violent crime

If you search my posts, I have never said NONE

No, I think you have said no shooting has ever been done with an automatic weapon...though in your defense, it could be that you meant (or even said) no homicides.

No, I think you have said no shooting has ever been done with an automatic weapon...though in your defense, it could be that you meant (or even said) no homicides.
I have been noting the Dayton cop for years

post 250

I have been noting the Dayton cop for years

post 250

Edit:

Post# 296

"...no crimes have been committed with legally owned automatics, your desire to ban them suggests that crime control has no real motivating factor behind what your support in gun control"

I guess you have to amend your position now huh ?

That's funny, right there.

I'd have no problem with a mandatory death sentence for anyone convicted of a crime involving a gun where someone is shot, and a mandatory life sentence if no one is shot. But death sentences should be carried out in a more timely fashion, less than 1 year from the conviction.

That's funny, right there.

I'm reminded of Nicholas Cage's comments in the movie "Con Air"
When asked what was wrong with the character played by Steve Buscemi, he replied "A lot".

Edit:

Post# 296

"...no crimes have been committed with legally owned automatics, your desire to ban them suggests that crime control has no real motivating factor behind what your support in gun control"

I guess you have to amend your position now huh ?
the one case we could find involved a cop. Not a private citizen and the cop was able to obtain the firearm due to his status

the one case we could find involved a cop. Not a private citizen and the cop was able to obtain the firearm due to his status

You said:

...no crimes have been committed with legally owned automatics, your desire to ban them suggests that crime control has no real motivating factor behind what your support in gun control"

So are you amending your position ?

You said:
no crimes by private citizens-a point I have made dozens of times. If you want to be pedantic, we can examine all the times you demanded complete gun bans and then crawfished back on that with your silly claims that the president could decide some guns shouldn't be banned.

Why do you want to ban a fully automatic weapon though.

I'd have no problem with a mandatory death sentence for anyone convicted of a crime involving a gun where someone is shot, and a mandatory life sentence if no one is shot. But death sentences should be carried out in a more timely fashion, less than 1 year from the conviction.
Why though? These measures sound quite heavy.

Why do you want to ban a fully automatic weapon though.
Democrats attached the improperly "passed" Hughes Amendment in a failed attempt to derail the pro gun Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986. That was the only reason

Why though? These measures sound quite heavy.
Why not? Punishment for a crime should be made more equal to the crime committed.

I will say crimes with fully automatic weapons are rare, and from legally owned ones near non existent.

However fully automatic weapons can actually be made very easy. You can make them from supplies at home depot or lowes.

I actually talked to a guy last year who small scale manufactured firearms, none of his were from the ground up designs but often custom versions of common firearms, and he had the license to design and produce them. One thing he told me was that many gun makers go out of their way trying to find a way to make them fully auto through improvised means just so they can change the design to prevent it, as the last thing they want is the atf breathing down their necks because xyz ar hybrid gun ended up being full auto with a coat hanger mod that took 5 seconds to make or something else as silly as that.

In those cases he said anything can be full auto with enough determination but the goal was to ensure it was not simple enough that any idiot could do it. Also getting caught with a full auto modded firearm without it being legal is a hell of a charge, but then again the vast majority of the very few caught using them in crimes never went through anything nfa and never would anyways.

no crimes by private citizens-a point I have made dozens of times. If you want to be pedantic, we can examine all the times you demanded complete gun bans and then crawfished back on that with your silly claims that the president could decide some guns shouldn't be banned.

I think I always caveat my preference for a gun ban with this

But you are backtracking:

You said (your own words EXACTLY):

...no crimes have been committed with legally owned automatics, your desire to ban them suggests that crime control has no real motivating factor behind what your support in gun control"

So ***ARE*** you amending your position ?

Back
Top Bottom