• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rapid Breaking of the Gulf Stream

The Giant Noodle

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Ok.... I think this is BS but for your enjoyment..... DOOM!!! :shock::roll:

FFor the first time a direct "evidence" with data processed by CCAR (Colorado Center for Astrodynamics Research) and images from satellite (Jason, Topex/Poseidon, GeosatFollow-On, ERS-2, Envisat) of the breakingup of The Gulf Stream!

In a recent research called "RISK OF GLOBAL CLIMATE CHANGE BY BP OIL SPILL" from Italian scientists of Frascati National Laboratories (LNF) - National Institute of Nuclear Physics (INFN) - AGI (Geophisical Italian Association) and CNR (National Council of Research) it show the evidence of a rapid Breaking of the Gulf Stream.

[link to img210.imageshack.us]

As well as in surface, the satellite images have shown "serpents" of oil under the oceanic depths, whit beyond 15 Km length and 5 Km wide , that they have generated a physic-chemical pressure on the flow of the currents with the consequent one to generate itself of a gigantic vortex, part of a Loop Current by now broken, as well with direct catastrophic and immediate consequence for the flora, the fauna and the populations of the Gulf of Mexico damaged in the health, for Fall-out of chemical dispersing toxics, like Corexit 9527 and other poisons.

As of today the situation has deteriorated up to the point in which the eddy has detached itself completely from the main stream therefore destroying
completely the Loop Current.

[link to www.associazionegeofisica.it]

The whole study is there :

Do you or do you not understand the significance of our ocean current system shutting down?

Do you or do you not understand the significance of our ocean current system shutting down?

No. Nope. Not really. :confused: Sure its probably not good. But is it "Amy Winehouse" not good? "Forest Fire" not good? Or "Angel of Death tosses asteroid of Doom at Earth" not good? :confused:

No. Nope. Not really. :confused: Sure its probably not good. But is it "Amy Winehouse" not good? "Forest Fire" not good? Or "Angel of Death tosses asteroid of Doom at Earth" not good? :confused:
Essentially, our global system of ocean currents helps regulate planetary temperature by transporting warm water north where it cools and vice versa, this is the thermohaline cycle. Part of what makes this system work is water salinity. Rising global temperatures mean more freshwater is introduced into the oceans via glacial melt. Too much freshwater and you throw the balance off and the system shuts down. If this system shuts down, we lose a major component of planetary temperature regulation.

That means global ice age. For those of you taking notes, that's bad. If we're lucky, we can get away with an ice age somewhat similar to what we had during the middle of the last century (1650ish) but that's still a major blow to humanity in general.

Thermohaline circulation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I want to see those findings peer reviewed before I start to really wonder.

That's not to say that I don't think the BP gush hasn't had significant impacts on the environment. I wouldn't be surprised if environmental collapse is being intentionally pushed ahead at this point.

It seems to be saying the Loop current specifically has been disrupted. This may or may not have an effect on the global ocean currents. It is all the same bad because it will cause serious disruptions to life in the Gulf of Mexico.

I heard on the radio yesterday that reporters aren't covering the devastation to birds, sea turtles and the like because it's so horrific. I don't even like to think about that.

Interesting that the MMS (the regulatory agency in charge of these wells) changed its name on June 10th to the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Regulation, and Enforcement. They can run. And apparently they can hide. We should be protesting in the streets. The freakin' government let us down again. Jail time.

Would like to see peer review of the study before making any conclusion from it.

On the bright side, who would have thought an oil spill could combat global warming.::)

It seems to be saying the Loop current specifically has been disrupted. This may or may not have an effect on the global ocean currents. It is all the same bad because it will cause serious disruptions to life in the Gulf of Mexico.

i think there have always been eddies around the gulf stream. i'm skeptical about this study.

I heard on the radio yesterday that reporters aren't covering the devastation to birds, sea turtles and the like because it's so horrific. I don't even like to think about that.

Interesting that the MMS (the regulatory agency in charge of these wells) changed its name on June 10th to the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Regulation, and Enforcement. They can run. And apparently they can hide. We should be protesting in the streets. The freakin' government let us down again. Jail time.

hmm......what about bp? you know, the company responsible for the gushing oil? you know, the company that lobbied the brits for the release of the lockerbie bomber, in return for a lucrative contract?

Essentially, our global system of ocean currents helps regulate planetary temperature by transporting warm water north where it cools and vice versa, this is the thermohaline cycle. Part of what makes this system work is water salinity. Rising global temperatures mean more freshwater is introduced into the oceans via glacial melt. Too much freshwater and you throw the balance off and the system shuts down. If this system shuts down, we lose a major component of planetary temperature regulation.

That means global ice age. For those of you taking notes, that's bad. If we're lucky, we can get away with an ice age somewhat similar to what we had during the middle of the last century (1650ish) but that's still a major blow to humanity in general.

Thermohaline circulation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think I saw this movie. NYC got invaded by wolves :(

(also, no, it would not mean a "global" ice age)

Last edited:
(also, no, it would not mean a "global" ice age)
Dropping global temperatures generally means an ice age. Not sure how it works on your planet.

Thats because you dont really seem to know what's going on.

I dont think you do either. I think that much more information needs to be posted about the situation before we all get bent out of shape. I feel that the jury is still out on this.

I dont think you do either. I think that much more information needs to be posted about the situation before we all get bent out of shape. I feel that the jury is still out on this.
I gave you Global Warming 101. The jury is still out for those who do not understand the science behind it.

I gave you Global Warming 101. The jury is still out for those who do not understand the science behind it.

The science is fairly simple but there needs to be confirmation on this along with if the oil REALLY caused this or not. Im just not sold yet. Plus no one else is talking about this subject... no news outlet..... no one.

The science is fairly simple but there needs to be confirmation on this along with if the oil REALLY caused this or not.
I agree that there needs to be more examination for this particular case, but the concept of global warming in general is solid and widely accepted.

Im just not sold yet. Plus no one else is talking about this subject... no news outlet..... no one.
So what?

I feel that global warming is directly related to the methane in the air. And I feel that it is not man-made but the earth is releasing it.

I feel that global warming is directly related to the methane in the air. And I feel that it is not man-made but the earth is releasing it.
Well...thats...great, but science goes off of more than your feelings.

no it doesnt

Here is a link to an article discussing the Eddy Currents in the Gulf of Mexico and the Gulf Stream.

NASA Satellites Keep Watch on Gulf Current Near Spill :: Measurement Devices For Industry & Science :: Vendor Directories and Product News | FREE | Self Service

"Deep and fast moving, the Loop Current often breaks off and forms strong, clockwise rotating eddies called anticyclones that travel westward into the Gulf.

The currents along the outer edges of the Loop Current, as well as these eddies, have been clocked at speeds as high as three to four knots (three to five miles per hour), comparable to the fastest ocean currents ever observed."

Oil on the surface of the Ocean water, make that water darker, and may absorb more heat from the Sun, and making that ocean water warmer, where there are oil sliks.

http://www.engineering.com/Blogs/tabid/3207/EntryId/718/Gulf-Oil-Spill-Ocean-Temperatures.aspx

http://www.waterencyclopedia.com/Oc-Po/Oil-Spills-Impact-on-the-Ocean.html

Search: Gulf Stream Vortrex Oil Spill

Last edited:
Ok.... I think this is BS but for your enjoyment..... DOOM!!! :shock::roll:

FFor the first time a direct "evidence" with data processed by CCAR (Colorado Center for Astrodynamics Research) and images from satellite (Jason, Topex/Poseidon, GeosatFollow-On, ERS-2, Envisat) of the breakingup of The Gulf Stream!

In a recent research called "RISK OF GLOBAL CLIMATE CHANGE BY BP OIL SPILL" from Italian scientists of Frascati National Laboratories (LNF) - National Institute of Nuclear Physics (INFN) - AGI (Geophisical Italian Association) and CNR (National Council of Research) it show the evidence of a rapid Breaking of the Gulf Stream.

[link to img210.imageshack.us]

As well as in surface, the satellite images have shown "serpents" of oil under the oceanic depths, whit beyond 15 Km length and 5 Km wide , that they have generated a physic-chemical pressure on the flow of the currents with the consequent one to generate itself of a gigantic vortex, part of a Loop Current by now broken, as well with direct catastrophic and immediate consequence for the flora, the fauna and the populations of the Gulf of Mexico damaged in the health, for Fall-out of chemical dispersing toxics, like Corexit 9527 and other poisons.

As of today the situation has deteriorated up to the point in which the eddy has detached itself completely from the main stream therefore destroying
completely the Loop Current.

The whole study is there :

The shutdown of the Gulf Stream would be caused by too much water from melted freshwater ice entering the stream, and upsetting the conveyor belt. The fresh water would sink beneath the salt water in the stream and stay there, thus preventing colder saltwater from sinking. In that manner, the Gulf Stream would be shut down. This is a consequence of globlal warming. On the other hand, oil is too buoyant to sink to the very bottom and stay there. It simply can't happen - Physically impossible.

Back
Top Bottom