• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Raped Norwegian woman sentenced in Dubai after reporting attack on her.

Sure. Beautiful art, music, and literature. I'm sure that there are some aspects of their law (probably unrelated to punishing people for crimes) that are superior to ours. Maybe they have really good mortgage system that strikes a more equitable balance between lender and borrower than we do. To write off an entire culture and declare it lacking in any value is exactly what we should not be doing. It is important to recognize the good with the bad, and to celebrate the good and fix the bad. Their bad really sucks and needs to be addressed. Our bad does, too. But both our goods are worth celebrating. We should never ignore the good because of the bad, and never use the good as an excuse to trivialize the bad. That is, honestly, why comparing cultures as better or worse is so difficult. It is only because the bad in a country like the UAE is so bad that such a comparison is legitimate. Compare the US, Canada, England, and Australia. Can you really declare one better? I doubt it.

Writing off other cultures is what chest thumping pseudo patriots do.

Not disagreeing on the core of your argument. I was talking specifically about the UAE, though. As a woman, I can't think of one single thing to admire about it right now, in 2013.

your culture is trying to pass bills to ban abortion while letting teenagers get pregnant at age 14

Obviously you're speaking of America. Arcana lives in Europe.

Since I'm an American, I'll respond: Did any of those teenagers get arrested for having sex, or for reporting that they were raped? No? Then our culture isn't perfect, but it's still superior.

On top of other cases, including the Australian woman sentenced after being raped by colleagues - you just have to wonder at the stupidity of such laws and views.
How any state can hold its head up among other nations when it has a law requiring adult male witnesses to a brutal attack on a woman for that attack to be taken seriously is beyond me. How messed up is this?

Tax free salaries should not be enough to keep tempting people to go there, especially women.

The world is a fascinating but potentially dangerous place. While common sense is usually enough to navigate most countries, the lesson to be garnered from this story is that it's wise to know what kind of barbaric laws are in place where you intend to visit.

but they havent gone through a renaissance and enlightenment period as you did

thats why they seem inferior

Instead of a pissing contests about which cultures are and are not inferior, why don't you actually comment on the topic... which is how you feel about the fact that a woman can be gang-raped, then imprisoned for the fact that her rape was judged illegal "sex outside of marriage" while the men were never even charged?

Instead of a pissing contests about which cultures are and are not inferior, why don't you actually comment on the topic... which is how you feel about the fact that a woman can be gang-raped, then imprisoned for the fact that her rape was judged illegal "sex outside of marriage" while the men were never even charged?

l hate islamism ,dont you really know it ?

but calling easterner cultures inferior is not nice

every culture has terrible sides diana

Well, my culture values freedom and equality. Theirs doesn't. Therefore, my culture is superior. I have long ago let go of the idiotic lie that all cultures are deserving of respect.

Thats if you assume that the political system determines the culture and not vice versa,

I think most would think its bad a thing (and I wholeheartedly agree) but that would make an incredibly boring thread.

I've read that the rapist, a Qatari national, was sentenced to 13 months but has been released.

Meanwhile, this woman is not the only one who has been raped and then charged with unlawful sex. Marte Deborah Dalelv imprisoned in Dubai for reporting rape | ksdk.com

The difference between Christianity and Judaism VS Islam is that the former have learned to try and hide their mental deformities, Islam still puts it's on a catwalk........................

I didn't comment on the religious element, so I can't imagine why you responded to my post.

I didn't comment on the religious element, so I can't imagine why you responded to my post.

The idea of a raped woman being a criminal is solely a religious element, specifically "monotheism"..................

Dubai would still be a backwater desert wasteland if it weren't for oil, but given our country's relationship with the Saudis, our support of the UAE should come as no surprise.

When it comes to money, our government and many Americans have zero ethics.

So let me guess--what's happening to women in Dubai is the United States's fault.

Cultures when compared will come up with advantages and disadvantages with one another over certain behaviors. Thereby if you are to point out advantages try linking it per each behavior and not the entire culture for you may be wrong. You may be stating advantage over all (including areas where the other culture is more advantageous than you). I am saying we need to be more precise.

So for instance. I think that the western culture (say USA) is more advantageous at promoting female sexuality and protecting their rights when it comes to rape by treating rapists as criminals and by locking them up.

But I think USA is disadvantaged at the issue of abortion. Here eastern values have advantage for a woman can choose freely whether to abort the unwanted pregnancy or not.

It's 2013. The world has become a global village. Dubai is part of the world community and is actively promoting the country abroad so more foreigners will move or visit there. It is their responsibility to ensure the safety of those people once they are on their soil. There is no excuse for this kind of barbaric, backward, indefensible justice system anymore. Either they step into the 21st century or they issue warnings to all western women to stay the **** away from their messed up country.

It's also up to the companies who employ and take western women over to these countries to make sure women know exactly what the situation is there. Having said that, I'm still certain the lure of tax free pay will attract many to go.

It's also up to the companies who employ and take western women over to these countries to make sure women know exactly what the situation is there. Having said that, I'm still certain the lure of tax free pay will attract many to go.

If these stories keep making the headlines, they'll find themselves in the same situation as India. The number of western women who visit the country dropped by something like 30% after all the rape stories came out.

You know, I won't question the wisdom of traveling to Dubai in the first place. And I certainly won't suggest that the assault itself was in any way her fault.

But, seriously, what the **** was she thinking reporting it?

it is called green capitalism

it is more scary than hell

You blame capitalism? It's obviously Islam that's the problem. The only countries in the world where a woman who is raped gets blamed for it and thrown in jail is Islamic countries.

The Middle East should accept Jesus Christ as the son of God, and renounce Muhammad and Islam. They would then advance about 300 years in development and culture, rather than be the backward group of countries they are today.

You blame capitalism? It's obviously Islam that's the problem. The only countries in the world where a woman who is raped gets blamed for it and thrown in jail is Islamic countries.

The Middle East should accept Jesus Christ as the son of God, and renounce Muhammad and Islam. They would then advance about 300 years in development and culture, rather than be the backward group of countries they are today.

Hrm... Or they could renounce religion altogether and advanced about 500 years in development, culture, and human rights.

it is called green capitalism

it is more scary than hell

Capitalism is what demanded she be jailed for being raped? Really?

I think the term you're looking for is Shariah law.

Last edited:
Hrm... Or they could renounce religion altogether and advanced about 500 years in development, culture, and human rights.

TYRANT-1-STALIN.jpg

*cough*

In general I'd agree, but there are some cultures that so flagrantly disregard basic human rights that they really are inferior.

It's worse than inferior it is medieval. Their desire to subjugate women and treat them as sub-human is primitive and cruel. It is a relic of our savage past.

Yes, because Christians in Africa are so much better.

You should do your homework. 47% of Africans are Muslim.

However, the countries that have a lot of Christians are much better off today than they were before Christianity came to their shores. They once ran around naked in the bushes (and many non-Christians still do), now they have schools, churches, houses to live in.

They are also much better off than their Muslim or heathen neighbors.

Look at a list of African countries by per-capita GDP. The wealthiest in order are:

1. Equatorial Guiana - 91% Christian
2. Seychelles - 93.1% Christian
3. Gabon - 73% Christian
4. Mauritius - 33% Christian
5. Botswana - 71.6% Christian

Wow.... so the most successful countries in Africa skew heavily Christian.... well gee. Gee whiz indeed.

Remember that Christianity in Africa is still very young. As the Africans learn to accept their new Christian ways and renounce their old ways of corrupt governments, they will only become better and better off in time.

---- sources ----

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Africa

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_African_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita

Hmm, so according to Sharia law a woman who is raped needs four male witnesses to testify in her favour or she's thrown into jail.
How many rapes have four male witnesses to them? Why would any woman take the risk of being thrown into jail and shame herself and her family?
When you think about it, sharia law is de facto legalizing rape.

Back
Top Bottom