• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Raped Norwegian woman free to go

Spriggs05

Anarcho Facist
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I'm assuming that's sarcasm. Thirteen months is pretty thin "justice" for rape.

Thanks for starting this thread - the last one has degenerated into a christianity vs islam thing.

Anyhow - so nice of the Dubai government to pardon a rape victim for being raped isn't it? How messed up is that way of thinking!

Well, I am glad she is going to get out of there. Still the pardon suggests she was guilty of something and she wasn't. Do you think their public intoxication law can be excused as severe enough?

Dubai pardons woman at center of rape dispute.....

477dac0d82aa4a18380f6a706700922d.jpg

Dalelv claimed she was raped in March by a co-worker, but was charged with having sex outside marriage after going to the police. Her decision to go public about the sentence last week in a series of interviews appeared to put pressure on authorities in Dubai and tarnish the city's reputation as a cosmopolitan hub, including possible fallout on its high-profile bid for the 2020 World Expo.

"I have my passport back. I am pardoned," said Dalelv, who worked for an interior design firm in Qatar and was in Dubai for a business meeting when the alleged rape took place.

There was no immediate word from Dubai officials, including whether the pardon was linked to traditions of clemency during the current Islamic holy month of Ramadan.

It also was unclear whether authorities would keep the 13-month sentence against Dalelv's alleged attacker, identified as a 33-year-old Sudanese man who was charged with consuming alcohol and sex outside marriage. While liquor is widely available in Dubai hotels and restaurants, public intoxication can bring serious charges.

"While we are pleased that Marte can now return home to Norway, her pardon still suggests that she was somehow guilty of a crime," said Rori Donaghy, a spokesman for the Emirates Center for Human Rights. "Until laws are reformed, victims of sexual violence in the UAE will continue to suffer in this way and we will likely see more cases such as this one."

Dubai pardons woman at center of rape dispute

Back
Top Bottom